A Guide to Effective Mapping (WIP)

XI. Advice
Here is some advice from various PMU players in no particular order.

Advice from Char

For normal sized maps it is a good idea to add more form to it than would normally be found if it was part of a larger map. This is because you are basically shrinking a big house down. This means more putting more form to a house! (but do not overload with too many details).
If you look at a 50x50 house, you will see much longer paths and sides.

One unspoken rule among mappers is no squares or at the least to a minimum. The idea is to make things seem natural, when looking in nature one does not find perfectly square lakes or mountains. Everything has some jagged looks to it.

Do not close your map into itself. This makes your house look smaller than it is. Leave open ends, as if the map really continues on on all sides. This is generally what newer mappers do, but remember your map is only a piece of a larger map. Make it so you could easily expand if needed.

Mapping is part of the game too, so have fun with it! You should want to explore your house after your done with it and spend time just sitting there taking in your work. Be proud of what you have done! :D
One thing I like to do, is add in lots of paths (hidden if I can); so venturing around my house is kind of an adventure.
To learn and get better:
A. Observe
One thing that really helped me get better when I first started mapping was watching others map. Seeing how they work and build their house. Or just looking at good maps and seeing where cliffs go and fit together.
B. Explore
Another thing that helped me was exploring the PMU world. Seeing first hand how tiles fit together, if I didn’t know how a waterfall worked, I could go down to a waterfall at the beach and see from there!
C. Get Inspired
One way to get inspired is to listen to music! I know a few people who listen to a song and base their house off of thier song. Other things to inspire you could be: Art, Landscapes, Books, Movies, etc.
D. Ideas
When you first begin, looking at other people"s houses is a good way to jump start your mapping career.
E. Outline
The best thing that helps me when I map is making an outline of my ideas. It makes sure I don"t stray from what I have set to do. It focuses you, this is especially good for a larger house.
F. Review
Always try and have other people look over your house and give you ideas. Having a fresh pair of eyes can do wonders.
G. Creativity
It is your house, so you can make it whichever way you want to! Usually you cannot mix dungeon tiles or other tiles in the actual PMU overworld, but in your own home, you can mix and match whatever you want!

Advice from Agunimon

1. Start by choosing a theme. Let your friends give you an idea! It can be broad like “Grassy” or it can be clear and specific like “Ruins in the Sky with an ocean in the background”. (Lolwutsuperlongtheme.)

2. Imaging what you"'e going to map before you map. It helps!

3. Seeing your map in your head, think of the tiles you are going to use for your map.

4. Consider what your map means, and what"s so unique about it.

5. Don’t think too hard. Let your hands / heart (lolcheap) do the work. ^^

A Few Dandy Tips:

-Don"t be afraid to do something different.
-Always check, check again, and re-check.
-Never be afraid of criticism.
-Practice, Practice, Practice.
-Try different tile sets, Don"t be afraid to mix them.
-Enjoy yourself!
~If it doesn"t please you, don"t keep it, try it again~

This topic is approved by: (Mapper) Dandy. P:

Tips from Andy:

The first thing you want to do is envision what you want to map. Are you mapping a dessert or tundra – perhaps a mountain, plain, or field? You"ll need to navigate PMU"s tilesets accordingly in order to find rational and logical tilesets. Always pay attention to detail. If you"re mapping a desert, make sure the water is as scarce as possible. The same goes for a mountain, however you can start with a moderate amount of water at the bottom and gradually lower the quantity as you ascend. With this, I"m sure you have the general viewpoint of mapping logically.

Now, when it comes to actually mapping, you may find it best if you plan out a path with the ground layer, depending on what it is you"re mapping. Following that, add your general structure ( such as cliffs ) and once you finish that entirely, go directly to decor. ( Do NOT forget cliff corners! ) Attributes should always go last in order to provide the necessary mobility you require throughout your map.

Consultation with ChaotixBluix

For aspiring and tested mappers, I hope to impart some advice:

1. Do NOT overuse the animation layers. It is like any spice for food. Regardless how you prepare and build it, too much will ruin your map. Good maps will only use enough to bring the map to life and no more.

2. This applies more to dungeon mappers than to housing mappers, but when you"re mapping… You are building the foundation for AN ENTIRE WORLD. Your universe is literally at the mercy of a SINGLE CLICK. Therefore, if you want your map to be good, as well as a fun place to be and explore, make room for the people that will be in it! If you"re not sure your map is at this point… Ask yourself this: Is your map a place where you and a couple of your friends/players would want to hang out in for 5 minutes?

3. Remember that maps don"t just have to be places. They can be expressions of yourself (anguish, happiness, and surprise are probably some of the easier ones), stories/narratives (PMU6 had some examples of this. People may remember the huge burning tree that was important in the various “The Crew Chronicles”), and even places for pure art (try spriting with tiles. It"s pretty cool).

4. Any good map can always be improved. Just because you think it is done now doesn"t mean that you can"t make it better later. You might get inspiration from someone else or new tiles might get released. See what you can do from time to time.

5. No one lives in a vacuum, and neither should your maps. Get feedback from others and give feedback in return. You will become a better mapper this way, help raise the bar of good mapping, and foster a better mapping community in the process.