Add a Rant/Salt Channel in PMU Discord

There have been lots of complaints about peoples complaints causing flooding or notifications, which isn’t technically against the rules, but I see how it can be annoying, although I personally don’t think it is, but to be fair I also have my entire discorded muted save pings. I suppose this as a solution, a separate channel where people can complain about lack of shiny luck (Hence the salt), and other mechanics in other games. (Like ranting about SwSh’s developmental choices.) Same PMU rules will apply, and ranting and salt will be limited to inanimate things only, talking about other players should be strictly prohibited.
I think everyone needs to vent sometimes, and other channels might not be the most appropriate place.
A lot of servers I am in already have such channels, for the same purpose.

First off, I’d like to say Happy Anniversary on the PMU Forums, Demetrius!

Now, for this suggestion, I do feel like there may be some problems with this. I realize that having a separate channel would be nice in theory, but I’ve seen how this escalates quickly and can get out of control. The PMU Wiki Discord had a channel for ranting on Pokémon Sword and Shield, and for a while, it helped separate the normal discussion from the rants. However, the problem came that the negativity of rants caused a sour taste for people who were looking forward to the game, and some people still ranted in the normal discussion channel, and others started really getting at each other’s throats in the rant channel, to the point where it became nearly impossible to contain.

I feel like a rant/salt channel would only promote the feelings of negativity towards the game, which would in turn increase discourse for the rest of the server, especially since some salt moments can come from other player’s mistakes, which means there’s an even higher chance of people attacking each other, either by vague-posting or actually calling them out. No matter if there’s a strictly prohibited rule about talking of other players, there will be those who will ignore that and, due to the low amount of staff that are around, could easily get out of hand to the point where tensions overwhelm the server.

So yeah, I don’t think this is a good idea.

Edit: Also, I realize that people can use each other’s salt against each other if it’s bad enough, so may also want to take that into consideration…

2 Likes

Thank you, I understand your concerns, and I agree with what Turtwig said in discord, that it might need to be post-posted until constant moderation can be afforded. But like I also said in discord, I think it has gotten out of hand, people just want to voice their opinions with earnest intentions, and other people, also in earnest, have gone off onto why they don’t like it, this is causing an endless cycle, if you don’t want to view the channel just mute it and not open it. It’s regrettable that the channel is necessary, but I think it is necessary even if not immediately, things can’t go on the way they are, and silencing all complaints that aren’t in violation of other’s rights, is itself a violation of people’s rights.
Edit in response to your edit: That’s why I think player complaints about other players should be prohibited.

2 Likes

Even if people mute it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. As I also stated, it will bleed into the other channels, whether or not other players mute the rant/salt channel. '>.>

1 Like

Agreeing with what Tactician mentioned, and adding to it, it’s also the fact that there’s people that keep taking it way further than it needs to be, especially when it’s just the constant ranting about it.

I agree that there is a need to it to some extent, but there’s still the fact that it’ll still be taken way further than it ever needs to be.

2 Likes

Isn’t it already bleeding into other channels? @shadowlucario50
And @Prismatic That’s why I partially agree with what Turtwig said, and in addition to that I think it’s easier to monitor and overall contain what goes too far, if it’s in a specific channel, with specific guidelines on to what is acceptable and what isn’t, and flat out prohibit anything negative in any other channel.

1 Like

Yep, and that’s why having a salt/rant channel would only make it worse. Even if the negativity gets put in one place, it’s still a ticking time bomb. The more negativity that fills it, the more likely it starts exploding in other channels.

1 Like

It’s already been established with what’s appropriate and not, and further when staff do get involved, it just continues later on. Like mentioned, this was done in the wiki chat (which shares most, if not all its members with the PMU discord), and who’s to say this won’t continue here as well? The wiki one kept getting more and more toxic, by the same people who do the same in the PMU Discord, even then, people continued to still do it in main channels.

This really isn’t going to be any different.

2 Likes

It’s already a ticking time bomb, arguably even exploded. People are already hurt. I have seen this work in other discord servers a lot larger than PMU’s, and I have seen it work well, the only reason it wouldn’t work now is lack of staff, and for that reason I understand a postponement. But I see no reason why this wouldn’t be an effective compromise with a properly staffed staff team. Prismatic, the PMU wiki discord shouldn’t be as well monitored as PMU’s will hopefully be once it’s staff rank’s are replenished, and isn’t as well monitored as servers I’ve seen this channel work in. And as for

There are several problems with the current rule set for pmu for not being specific enough if I remember correctly and don’t blame me if I don’t because my memory is truly horrid you haven’t played as long as some of us I so, I don’t blame you for not understanding this. But many of the veterans of PMU will agree with me on this point, that the rules are guilty of constantly shifting based on the current most active staffs, and it is evident by the fact that multiple words and expressions, and even actions now that are permitted didn’t use to be a few years ago, and other words not permitted that were, heck, I’ve even had warning overturned due to such incidents. So I’d argue they aren’t established entirely, especially when it comes to the “explosions” and fighting that occur when people are earnestly voicing their opinions.

I’ve been around since 2011, and I understand them fully, but it still doesn’t change anything. I understand the need for this channel, yeah, but it’s the fact it continues in game too. Even restricting it to Discord only, isn’t going to stop anyone, nor is having a designated channel, where many can just go into another channel to.

Just people certain people decide to take it way too far, even when others have expressed their frustration with that, leads to fights, and with it just continuing on. It doesn’t matter how many staff there are to moderate, once there’s only a few on, or none, it just starts back up again — that’s something you can’t fix, even if there’s a designated channel, it’s still going to continue regardless.

1 Like

My bad for forgetting when you joined like I said my memory awful, mainly when it comes to numbers. But regardless, trying to avoid getting personal as much as I can, I don’t full believe that you do fully understand them, since when you were a staff, I personally saw you fail to address these “explosions” multiple times, and I can only hope and assume it was earnest misunderstanding on how to address them properly that caused it. Once again I will like to say I am not attacking or judging you for this, I sympathize with your plight, and hope that this will prevent other new staff from having similar issues.

1 Like

I’ll add on to this and also state that these larger servers that have these salt/rant channels tend to also have a healthier base. Not to sugarcoat it, but PMU’s fanbase is a bit more toxic than the usual since there are easy pariahs to mock at without giving much chances to help them understand their problems. Meanwhile, larger servers are much more intimidating, so if you make a mistake, you’ll be scorned right off by other players or most players get ignored and buried so they aren’t noticed.

I’ll agree: the bomb has exploded. Multiple times. Even if you had a channel added, it wouldn’t change much, if at all. The discourse in the community has gone on for far too long, and many staff aren’t given the proper instruction to do their word well. Still, this suggestion is opening up a new discussion that could be made in another thread; a discussion of how to manage negative players, and how the rules need to be changed so things are not only clear enough for the staff to enforce, but for the players to follow.

2 Likes

I agree, and I if you choose to make a new thread, will eagerly await it.

1 Like

I think a rant channel is a great idea. I’m in a few servers for other games & having a rant channel is good for keeping rants where they belong. Just a nice place for someone to vent. Obviously it still needs some rules in place but I think they’re good for servers to have. Especially if it lets me talk about how mediocre horrible of a game SwSh is.

2 Likes

I agree is quite nice to vent the bad spirits you are holding. But sometimes it can lead to an outburst to reach and develop even more deeper angering or create dramas. or a group psychological therapy. Is better go to a friend and tell him: “I failed terribly in this game and cuz of this”, and also, not everyone will like to others see what are they feeling (by personal reasons or not show they are vunerable).

I think the most we can do is accept that everything in gaming live isn’t perfect and not going to happen like someone’s will. There isn’t a 100% guarantee you’ll get the best at first try, and you’ll succeed in everything easy, like any other game. Try to have fun and enjoy what PMU has to offer, just press continue.

Edit: I’m in the chats of venting in other servers and most of the time I use those chats to give emotional support instead of venting myself (Because I really don’t need to most of the time, I laugh no matter how bad the things are). but I saw others who PM’d me instead of using the chat looking to vent and give them an advice.

1 Like

^This. Publicly venting, no matter if it’s in a vent channel or not, runs the risk of having players who don’t emphasize to say “just do better” or “why you complaining about that, it’s easy”.

Story time from Tactician! I remember people complaining about missions back in the past and one new player was saying, “You guys are bad! I have Guildmaster Rank because I had help from high-ranking players! Get good!” In turn, it started breaking out into an argument since this player was acting entitled while other players didn’t have that same opportunity to have that type of help. And it’s all because someone was complaining how frustrating it was to get missions due to impatience and having only 5 Explorer Points left to get the next rank and no one was willing to help.

It just takes one player to fire the flames, and having a public vent channel where trolls or toxic people could ignite other players can really cause a lot of damage.

1 Like

While I understand the sentiment and why this was suggested, I think this is a very bad idea and could turn out very toxic very fast. For one thing, this would be very difficult to moderate with an already short-handed staff team, and for another this would be the breeding grounds for trolls looking to cause a rise. It’s normal to want to vent, however I think thats best kept out of an official server and best left in DM’s to understanding friends.

3 Likes

Essentially a lit matchstick’s heavenly place filled to the brim with flammable gasses.

Let’s… not.

If things escalate, please report it to us.

3 Likes