Can PMU get an updated swear policy?

I think most of us are mostly if not completely in agreement with you there, who are you suggesting is claiming the inverse?

1 Like

example a.

example b.

2 Likes

Aye, the clarification is appreciated. I’d thought nobody had pitched the censor-dodging argument against transparency, but clearly I’m blind and need to re-read the thread again as Chrollo’s post slipped my mind.

That said, I don’t think Fennes’ post is arguing ambiguity is important? As I understood it, she was suggesting more that she didn’t want to relax or abolish the swear ban; not that she felt transparency in the rule was a slippery slope.

Players accidentally tripping the filter due to a word slip or just not knowing where the line is drawn is one thing, but anyone deliberately trying to bypass a filter cannot claim ignorance. It should, in theory, actually make it far easier to identify and deal with players who are knowingly acting in bad faith.

If you have someone say, harassing another player with an otherwise “clean” choice in words, player reports and moderators watching chat can deal with them just fine, like they would with any other chat-related rule. The same applies if people are swearing at each-other with deliberately-misspelled curse words, they’re not suddenly invisible and impossible for mods to deal with just because the script doesn’t deal with them automatically.

1 Like

I personally think there is always going to be some ambiguity as long as there are manual warnings given out for swears. It would be a whole different game if there was a concrete filter (as in censor) that masks the swear words - warns would be given for deliberately avoiding the filter. That is why I’ll be rooting for it to be implemented, but as with other things that require programming/overhauling a system - it’s going to take some time to implement.

That is not to say that it shouldn’t be clear what is okay and what isn’t when it comes to swearing - I wholeheartedly agree with that point. Some of it is indeed unclear (like the common example of the distinction between ‘‘lmao’’ and ‘‘lmfao’’ when both contain swear words that are otherwise picked up by the filter).

5 Likes

Marking this thread as in progress, as we’re currently experimenting with various options to improve this. We’ll keep you posted once some more results are in.

4 Likes

NO NO NO NO!!! I’m not coming back to PMU if this happens swearing makes me feel uncomfortable so no!

1 Like

If anything at least change the f bomb and the s word to oof and big oof. And change LM*O to ROFL (rolling on floor laughing), and other equivalents instead of just doing this: ************************************** or something like that.

1 Like

…did you even read anything or did you just look for a short post and react to that?

for easy comprehension, what we want is consistency with how staff handle swearing, not being allowed to swear. it’s like your mom telling you you can’t have sweet stuff before dinner, but lets you eat oatmeal raisin cookies before dinner. if you can’t understand that, i dunno what to tell you except not to come back like you said since you already think we want to swear.

I read the whole thing.

Like Syni said, I’m worried about tricking the filters.

what do you mean oceanamethyst?

clearly you glossed over what was said about people deliberately going around the filter. i don’t see what’d be so bad? a moderator’s job is to watch the chat and make sure things don’t go too far, so why wouldn’t they be able to see someone that intentionally goes around the filter? they’d just have to issue a warn and things would be fine.

and in the event that no staff are on? someone’s bound to screenshot what happened and send it to staff, so they can figure out what to be done with the person. i don’t see what’s different between what staff do now, aside from the big orange text telling staff that someone said a bad word.

all that means is that staff actually have to use brain power to focus on pmu and not zone out like i do most of the time i have the game open. it shouldn’t be a problem because staff, unlike me, agreed to give it their all to make pmu better.

2 Likes