MrJustified's Arena Tips

Competitive Pokemon 14

Marowak

Overview
Marowak is one of those Pokemon that has more to it than everyone thinks. There are barely any Marowak to see. Marowak is useful for mainly one thing, that thing being Thick Club. Thick Club doubles it and Cubone’s Attack, with Marowak’s hitting a comfortable 518 Attack with Thick Club. This makes Marowak hold the highest Attack in the game. No joke. Would suck to lose it to a Trip Trap though…

Moves and Items
Marowak@Thick Club

Bonemerang
Bonemerang, how can I put it? Long range, STAB, multi hit, and base 50 power. Bonemerang paired with Thick Club is an Earthquake each 2 hits. So, best Move for it. It also breaks the rare Substitute.

Fire Punch
Fire Punch covers the Grass, the Ice, the Steel, and Bug. It’s good when you see a rare Scizor dash by.

Belly Drum
Belly Drum maxes Attack for the strongest hitter in the game and also makes you a pain in the bone to deal with. Compare this with Bonemerang, very few Pokemon are going to live. Heart Scale usage is well worth it for this.

ThunderPunch
ThunderPunch hits Water and Flying where it hurts, namely Water coverage and Charizard. Yes, Charizard is a real resistance to a lot of things.

Role and Uses
Marowak can be a boss with this set, and can own anything even if it’s not very effective to it on the fact you have Belly Drum. Take them all down and you have good Defense to go with it.

Conclusion
Although the strongest in the game, Marowak does not see much usage. This, maybe because people prefer the ultra cool Infernapes and Charizards over most things. Everything comes and goes. Yeah, a Marowak user should consider a Thick Club (if it is already released).

This is fabulous. It introduces strategies to us, and gives us new suggestions for Pokemon to use, other than the over-used Charizards and Salamences.
Great job.

Competitive Pokemon 15

Shiftry

Overview
Shiftry, the Grass and Dark Pokemon which evolves from Seedot and Nuzleaf. Shiftry is a Cacturne, except there is a difference in that Shiftry has more Attack over Special Attack, but can still be mixed. It’s pretty cool, too and OP in the Sun. It also does not see much usage. Shiftry has great potential though.

Moves and Items
Shiftry@Heal Ribbon

Growth
Growth when in the Sun is a 2x boost to your Offensive stats. Necessary if considering mixed attacking but either way you still need this.

Leaf Tornado
Leaf Tornado is a Grass-typed Thunderbolt. STAB and good range, if you’re in the Sun with Growth, spamming this will be a useful thing.

Focus Blast
Focus Blast is a ranged powerful Fighting-type Move, ignore the accuracy thing, shoot it at the Steels that resist you, also opposing Darks and Normals.

Dark Pulse
Dark Pulse is STAB and hits things neutral, it’ll do more than enough damage to things you cannot normally hit such as Zards or Salamence or Dragons in particular. Also anything else that resists the other two Moves.

Role and Uses
The Sun is where Shrifty… shines. Use Sun whenever and be sure to get in a Growth before going on a rampage.

Conclusion

Shiftry does not see much use, but it can still whup a lot of Pokemon’s tails with ease. Avoid the Bug type moves though.

Nice Arena tips, if I may, I can suggest Ninetales

the ability Drought + Solarbeam = most weakness killed.

I would suggest these moves though:

Solarbeam
Dark Pulse
Flame thrower
Nasty plot

you should go deeper into this

Competitive Pokemon 16

Sceptile

Overview
Ah, Sceptile. The green to Emerald. Sceptile has considerably good Special Attack, can use Physical attacks if paired with Swords Dance, and of course it’s Physical movepool is more proficient than it’s Special. Much to my dismay it does not get Stone Edge. But it can do other things including putting opponents to sleep and Leech Seeding them.
I can’t say it’s used much though… Grass are the least picked starter Pokemon to my knowledge, but Sceptile can shine too.

Moves and Items
Sceptile@Life Orb, Big Root, Heal Ribbon

Drain Punch
Drain Punch is the first batch of coverage and can also heal, which is really nice. Sceptile makes good use of it with a Big Root to drain even more HP.

Hone Claws
Hone Claws boosts Attack and Accuracy, get a few of these in before striking with your Moves. You can also use Swords Dance if you prefer directly striking things.

Bullet Seed
Bullet Seed requires a Heart Scale but is well worth it. Nice sped up STAB and should always be considered. Don’t have an HS? Use Leaf Blade instead, for much more power, STAB and a slight range.

Rock Slide
Rock Slide is the best coverage checker Sceptile gains and for a great reason. Rock Slide covers Fire, Flying, Bug, Ice. ALL are Sceptile’s weaknesses. Rock Slide is a must for Sceptile.

Role and Uses
Sceptile barely sees any use around. It can mix attack, or even Leechstitute which is Leech Seed plus Substitute but not that recommended. Waste of TM and HS and you’ll likely want a new set.

Conclusion

Sceptile is great, and can make use of Unburden to further speed up Bullet Seed. So yeah, Sceptile’s wonderful. To use Sceptile at it’s maximum speed, do not hold an item. Use Hone Claws instead, nobody likes a long cooldown.

Competitive Pokemon 17

Luxray

Overview
Luxray is an Electric-type Pokemon that may be considered a powerful version of Raichu. You see unlike other Electric-types, Luxray has Guts and Rivalry at it’s disposal, and Intimidate. So, let us say… you are Burned. You are also facing a Male Pokemon. You’re dealing terribly high damage. With your already nice Attack stat it’s worth being mentioned that you can seriously use Guts just fine.

Moves and Items
Luxray@Flame Orb

Charge
Charge is not only boosting Special Defense but helps you prepare a sick charged Electric attack. That’s it’s only use unless you feel the need to boost so high.

Ice Fang
Ice Fang covers your only weakness and some things your type normally can’t hit so well, Ground, Grass, Dragon, Flying, that’s already a check on counters.

Wild Charge
Wild Charge is a Physical Thunderbolt minus 5 BP, being 90 Base Power, but when you consider Guts and the very common male Pokemon, Rivalry will also boost your Attack during this Move and with Charge, you are dealing terribly bad damage. Even neutral hits can OHKO. Wait… did I mention STAB? Yes yes, STAB, Charge, Guts, and Rivalry, you are destroying your enemies.

Superpower
Superpower is smacking Rock, Steel, Normal, and Dark. More coverage and should also be considered. Ice Fang needs a Heart Scale though.

Role and Uses
Luxray is not common, but like many others can do a lot of damage in The Arena and can pose as a great physical threat. Useful for those that want to spark up a fight.

Conclusion

Luxray is a pretty nice Pokemon, and is one of the very few great Electric type Pokemon.

Really nice guide. Put a lot of effort into it as well. Maybe this will help me when I decide to try and come the ‘king’ of the arena one day. :p

Nice guide, Jay! Do you do requests? I mean - if someone asks you to write down a set specific details as you have done for other pokemon here? Anywho, good work. I’d like to see more. :la:

Not necessarily, I do mainly Pokemon that are not used or just do them at random, I am afraid requests would throw off the point of this thread I made, I only continue posting new kinds of sets. I may in the future add even further detail to previous posts and new ones. Apologies.

Competitive Pokemon 18

Crawdaunt

Overview
Crawdaunt is a Water and Dark-type that has barely seen any use or any reason to be used. It went through four depressing generations of being called useless and never being used, until Unova gave it Adaptability which doubles the power of STAB moves. Your weaknesses being Grass Bug Electric, Fighting as well. Not bad.

Moves and Items
Crawdaunt@Life Orb / Heal Ribbon

Crabhammer
Crabhammer is Adaptability’s purpose. It is 90 base power. Adaptability doubles the power of STAB Moves so you’re looking at 180 base power to that. …Whoa. It’s your STAB anyways.

Ice Beam
Ice Beam checks Grass, also destroys Flying, and Dragon as well, including Ground if you don’t feel like walking up close. Good range and should be considered on most Water-types.

Crunch
Crunch is more Adaptability purpose. 160 power to look at there, you’re owning a lot of things. And nice Attack to go with this. Yes, consider STAB always if you happen to have Adaptability. Always.

Superpower
Superpower is Fighting-type coverage, puts out fellow Darks, some Normal and Steels that you normally couldn’t hit. Great coverage and should be considered often.

Role and Uses
Crawdaunt with Adaptability is wonderful. Toss enemies to the curb with ease. Very fine Pokemon indeed. It doesn’t even need much coverage either, just Crabhammer and Crunch on any netural weaknesses are going to deal out a lot of damage.

Conclusion
Crawdaunt however remains at the bottom of the sea, it tried to grab the fishing hook but others just kept getting in the way for better Movepools. Adaptability is what has saved Crawdaunt.

I personally think Night Slash would be better on Crawdaunt, instead of Crunch because more range and still a nice Base Power. It gives 140 instead of 160 base power with Adaptability, but the range is worth it.

Competitive Pokemon 19

Typhlosion

Overview
Typhlosion is among the starters people often choose, I cannot say it’s overused but I can say it’s common. Just not all that common. Typhlosion can mix attack pretty well but has better aces in it’s Special Attack, Moves included. With only Rock, Ground and Water to worry about, three weaknesses is always nice.

Moves and Items
Typhlosion@ Life Orb / Heal Ribbon

Flamethrower
Flamethrower, good range, great accuracy, nice STAB, it’s what all Fire types that are Special should use. Generally, this is your STAB.

SolarBeam
SolarBeam checks Ground, Rock, Water, hey look, all weaknesses covered. Very nice.

Extrasensory
Extrasensory could be use for Poison and Fighting, but other than that I can’t be sure. More coverage, I guess. Good power and chance to flinch.

Rollout
Rollout is for the Flying-types like Charizard and Pelipper, and also against fellow Fire types, never use this though unless you’re sure you can quickly finish your Rollout before being able to use other Moves. It’s mainly filler, when there is to consider you cover; Rock, Ground, Water, Steel, Ice, Flying, Poison, Fighting, Fire, Grass, even just those are good enough. You have wide coverage.

Role and Uses
Typhlosion is used, on a scale from 1 to 10, 6. Not rare, but not that common, pretty normal. Typhlosion has a lot of coverage and can mix attack well, and can be a proficient Fire type starter.

Conclusion
That would be it, on Typhlosion who happens to see some usage lately.

Competitive Pokemon 20

Medicham

Overview
Whenever Medicham was used it was normally because of Pure Power, unfortunately not even that gave it too much power, with around base 60 Attack, doubling that doesn’t really look all that well. It’s 120 base attack, but even then it does not get that many Moves to go with it. However, it does get Power Trick, which swaps Defense for Attack. 75 Defense would turn into 75 Attack in return for 60 Defense, and 75 Attack doubled would be very feasible. Or you could use Acupressure and boost random stats, yet even that may be drawn back, Clear Smog can and will happen not to mention Baton Pass, you can pass them off, but still, you’re gonna get Clear Smog or Haze. So Power Trick is your best option.

Moves and Items
Medicham@Life Orb / Heal Ribbon

Drain Punch
Drain Punch is only recommended because it goes well with your Attack and can heal you, you don’t need to use a extremely risky Hi Jump Kick, MISS, AND take recoil that is enough as half your HP, which will rip a chunk outta you. Also some fine STAB.

Ice Punch
Ice Punch is one of the elemental punches. It has mass coverage against Ground, Dragon, Flying, and Grass, which is not bad. Any random Salamence will fall to it.

Power Trick
Power Trick is self-explanatory. Use it to swap offense and defense, go using your attacks on whatever is in your way.

Psycho Cut Shadow Ball or ThunderPunch
Psycho Cut is ranged STAB, along with crit chance, so nice, but Shadow Ball is coverage against any Ghosts like Froslass you cannot normally hit, and ThunderPunch is to hit Water super-effective, but either way you’d likely prefer Psycho Cut or Shadow Ball. Hitting neutral would have been a serious problem if Pure Power was not there, so go on a KOing spree.

Role and Uses
Medicham is only used for Pure Power, and not for any reason otherwise. Medicham can do a lot of damage with strong Moves if you give it them, but you’re better off covering things than trying to kick people miss and own yourself.

Conclusion
Medicham barely sees any use and if you do see one expect some Hi Jump Kicks based on those that want nothing but power, only those who are into strategies and new tactics would carry any of the Moves I mentioned before. So yeah. Medicham is pretty much extremely rare to see.

Competitive Pokemon 21

Toxicroak

Overview
It’s Toxicroak, yet another Pokemon that barely sees any usage. Toxicroak is a Fighting and Poison Pokemon which means Psychics like Alakazam will own it and it gets owned by Earthquake as well. So, not the best typing, but there’s a better thing you can do with it.

Moves and Items

Drain Punch
With Toxicroak’s nice bulk, Drain Punching things is fine, heal up as well as your STAB. Take out Rock Steel Normal Dark and even Ice. Yeah, good Move for a Toxicroak.

Bulk Up
Bulk Up makes you even more better in Attack and Defense, that may not help against a random Psychic thrown at you but you can always hit them hard with Physical attacks.

Ice Punch
Ice Punch provides nice coverage, against Ground Flying and Dragon, Grass too, you’re taking out Ground and Flying, two weaknesses. Please only use this on your said weaknesses, and not Psychic types or any of that, because it’s not that strong by itself. Only try hitting anything else with it if you did a Bulk Up but other than that please don’t own yourself.

Gunk Shot
Gunk Shot is the strongest Poison-type Move right now, with 120 Base Power, it also gives STAB and has sweet range, don’t worry that much about the accuracy, if you got in a Bulk Up or two, any Defenseless Psychic like Alakazam will take a hard hit. It’s also your main ranged attack.

Role and Uses
Toxicroak is barely ever used, a lot of people have Croagunk but I doubt many ever train it. Toxicroak’s not used that much at all. Also, you may fancy Swords Dance instead of Bulk Up if you prefer to just go powerhouse. Also, Cross Chop is also an option.

Conclusion
Toxicroak doesn’t have the best typing at all really, so it’s easy to KO with common types, but if it got in a Swords Dance or a Bulk Up don’t expect to take much of any hit.

Competitive Pokemon 22

Persian

Overview
Persian is a Normal type Pokemon. …K. It’s only weakness is Fighting. …K. It gets a lot of Moves like the average normal type, but there’s something else to it than just some good fast attacks. Using a Big Mushroom you may get Pay Day at level 30 or higher, use it on everything get a lot of money. Anyway, Persian is a fair Pokemon, it can learn some strange Moves, but it’s worth using, despite barely ever being used.

Moves and Items
Persian@ BlackGlasses / Heal Ribbon / Life Orb

U-turn
U-turn will deal damage and hop back, this is useful when you’re hurt and gotta back up before doing some more damage, good with Heal Ribbon.

Night Slash
Night Slash is fair range and fair power, use it to wipe off the pesky Ghosts and Psychics, a more offensive alternative to U-turn.

Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt is for some range, coverage against Flying and Water, and to hit Steel neutrally.

Taunt or Dig
Taunt stops people from annoying you while Dig provides coverage against Electric Rock Steel and Fire. Stopping annoyances or coverage, you choose.

Role and Uses
Perisan doesn’t even get a Fighting move for itself, it has a bad movepool but can still be used. But Persian are in fact not common at all.

Conclusion
Persian is barely used at all and if it is it’s Pay Day and nothing else. It could use better movepool.