Mystery Eggs are losing value

In the name of shiny hunting, several Pokemon previously exclusive to Mystery Eggs have been given Recruitable status in the same dungeon over the past few months. Examples include:

• Bulbasaur & Aimpom (MJ)
  • Absol (CC)
  • Smeargle (GH)
  • Mudkip (BW)

This is just to name a few off the top of my head. Sure, it does help people find their favourite shinies in the short term since shiny egg hatches have not yet been implemented. But it comes at the price of devalueing mystery eggs, one of our core mechanics.

Even if you aren’t shiny hunting, why would a player choose to go for a lootbox that makes them run around town half a dozen of times to open anyway? There’s no guarantees you’ll get something specific especially in much larger Egg pools. Not to mention this lootbox can be hidden & sometimes inside walls. Given the option, recruits will in most cases have the edge over mystery eggs, or at the very least take away some meaning of their existence.
Egg moves might be a thing, but so are heart scales.

If this trend of adding egg exclusives as recruits continues, what purpose will Mystery Eggs even serve? Probably the best they’d do is serve as an intermediary between redeeming currency and obtaining the Pokemon as with the case of DD & Dratini; a lock and key mechanic. How dull.

Personally, I feel we should just be patient enough till Mystery Egg shinies can be implemented instead of sabotaging what we have by turning all egg exclusive mons into recruits. Maybe even bring back some sparkle tokens in auctions till it’s possible, since these are the exact inaccessible cases where its needed.

I don’t think this is an immediate cause of alarm, but in the long run it really will take away some variation and excitement for the game. So let’s give it some thought before it’s too late.

2 Likes

Mudkip was just a exception, There wont be other Pokemon made recruits from eggs in the future for the time being. Mudkip was only chosen because it was the only Gen 1-4 Main Game Starter that couldn’t be shiny hunted, as such was added for consistancy.
It’s also not like the recruit can’t be removed after egg shinies are a thing either.
There’s also a large gap in time since the others got added. It was after those that I wouldn’t add anymore. Obviously I didn’t know about Mudkip’s issue at the time.

Sadly with out their chance to hatch shinies, Mystery Eggs have lost value. I’m sure there must be someway to solve this even after they can potencially hatch shiny.

4 Likes

That is completely understandable. Wasn’t aware of the consistency part, and I actually appreciate that. I just wanted this thread to serve as a sort of reminder to not go overboard with changing exclusive eggs into recruits. Yes, the changes are reversible but there could be cases we lose track of if it becomes too widespread.
Anyway, I’m glad some sentiment about the exclusiveness of mystery eggs is mutual here, it gives me confidence that the situation will be handled well.

2 Likes

Definitely agree on Veezo about the rest but mudkip was a good idea to add no idea why every other mon has to be added though ;(

1 Like