Poke` has no value

And it’s not because there’s too much of it.
But because there’s nothing to do with it.

The game simply doesn’t have enough players to facilitate healthy trade mechanics, and that’s not really anybody’s fault.

But we really need more things to do with poke.
I think adding an NPC with relatively expensive vanity/music items every season was a good start.
But we need something more permanent. There needs to be a stronger (game play related) incentive for players to earn, spend AND sink poke` at an NPC.

My suggestion is ridiculously expensive items that are a SLIGHTLY stronger version of current items.

For example : Super miracle chest.
An NPC would upgrade your miracle chest for 1mil poke` to a super miracle chest. The super miracle chest would grant +3% exp in addition to what miracle chest grants. (this is an example lets not get stuck on the numbers)
This way, old items aren’t obsolete as they are required for the upgrade in addition to the poke, and this won’t add a huge divide between end game and late game players since the increase is pretty tiny.

Another interesting money sink could be crystals in the shop for 500k but I’m sure a lot of people would be opposed to that.

Also I should add, nerfing poke gains is not a solution to this problem.
There’s no need to go after payday, nuggets in dungeons or sell price of relics, that’s just an unfun.

4 Likes

Even though they’re intertwined, I’ll try to avoid steering the thread to discuss the general state of the economy (since we’ve seen enough of those) and rather focus on what the title is trying to address, the value of Poke.

The fact that most of the playerbase is in the “post game” phase in PMU means that majority of the money sinks we currently have such as House Expansion, Mystery Part, Guilds, etc. aren’t as effective and recurring to the average player anymore. This contributes to adding money with no apparent place to use (there’s not too much money, but as the original thread stated “too little to spend on”).

Auctions and seasonal shops are a thing but they too are bound by frequency/number of items auctioned.

With that in mind, having more appealing NPCs to spend your money on as suggested in the original post will not only enrich the game but also give Poke more uses, and in turn more incentive for the players to earn up thus even have a positive effect on the economy.

“Super miracle chest”

(creative name btw) and a set of similar end game items with minor perks would be a cool addition.

You know which items in PMU have stayed relevant through years at end? It’s the consumable items (honey, revs) and widely accepted “essential” items (x-ray, MC, GM, Trap Scarf, Tight Belt etc.).

Therefore I’d say these new end game items could try being a mix of both, pretty useful items but at the same time consumable in nature. For eg:
“Super miracle chest”:

• +8% exp over the Miracle Chest
  • Initially bought by trading a Miracle Chest + 500k Poke to an NPC
  • Will only be useable for 30 days
  • Can be “renewed” by spending an additional 200k each month

Such a model is pretty similar to Lucky Easter Egg except it will be available throughout the year and also support some other “buffed” versions of items. A balance of how OP the item is and rewarding the player for actually grinding to get the upgraded items each month will need to be looked into.

Anyway I’d like to end by saying that adding more things to do with Poke that are actually worthwhile/interesting will most certainly end in a win win situation and would really encourage it to be considered.

6 Likes

My idea for a money sink in the past was have a donation npc that “collects money” and after a goal is reached lets say 2m poke is reached we get 2x exp for a day/ or higher shiny odds or some community wide bonus :) (alreayd implemented into the game as can be see from the exp boosts we sometimes get so would just have to make an npc that tracks how much poke it is given which shouldnt be too too hard :crossed_fingers:)

4 Likes