Sprite Formats

This is an explanation of all sprite formats that PMU uses for loading into the game. If you want to make a sprite, then use this as a guideline for a quality submission.

Attack Animations:

There are 3 different attack animations in the game: Simple, Arrow, and Beam.

Simple:

Simple animations work as a strip of frames. Simply take each frame of the animation that you’re using, and align them horizontally going right. Keep in mind that Black (0,0,0) is the transparent color for these images, so if your animation uses any completely black outlines, make them slightly brighter, such as (1,1,1).

The size of the animation frames don’t matter, but they must all be of the same size.

The “simple” animation is also used for move animations that change the overlay, such as Blizzard.

Arrow:

We call these effects “arrows”, because they’re typically projectiles fired from one location to another. Arrow animations are 4-directional. Each of the four directions are stacked on top of each other in the order of Up, Down, Left, Right. Many arrow animations are one frame.

However, you can add more frames horizontally, making this animation essentially the same as the Simple spell effect, only with 4 directions. Just make sure all frames are the same size.

Also, some arrows look completely the same in all directions.

Beam:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nt2 … tBeams.png

(Beam animations are very complicated. This segment is under construction)

Emotes:

Emotes work much like spells, with each subsequent frame being to the right of the previous one. The only difference is that these animations MUST be 32 x 32 pixels in size, and the total number of frames must be 12. The transparent color must also be the same greenish-blue as the shown emotion animations.

Item Sprites:

Item sprites are relatively simple. They must all fit within a box of size 32 x 32 pixels size. The background must also be Black (0,0,0), as that is the transparent color. Make sure that none of the item sprites you submit have completely black outlines, otherwise they’ll show up funky in the games. Examples below:

A note about this kind of graphic: PMU typically doesn’t use item sprites not found in existing Pokemon games. Custom sprites used for the game are often made to imitate the concept art of the original item (such as the berries).

Mugshots:

Mugshots of Pokemon must always be 40 x 40 pixels in size. You can use the background shown below as a base:

Pokemon Sprites:

A full explanation of the Pokemon sprite structure can be found at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12638

Tilesets:

Tilesets must all be aligned to fit properly in 32 x 32 pixel boxes. Sometimes it helps to place guideline tiles to help with alignment. Examples of submissions below:

If you have any questions about these formats, or spriting, ask here.

I remember seeing a green base for the sprites (I’m trying to make shiny sprites, but I don’t really know what to do ^^’’) and I can’t seem to find it. It had a empty mug shot, a space for sleeping, walking, idle, ect sprites.
the sprites I got from spriters resource are rather scrabbled around and difficult for me to comprehend what they’re doing (idle and walking are together, for example) Perhaps if I could get the green base and put them on it I can figure it out better…or something. I don’t sprite a lot and some help would be great! ;m;

With what you said about idle and walking sprites being together, sometimes the pokemon’s idle does use the same frames as for walking, a live example of this would be Minccino or Pidgey.

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but spritesheets aren’t hugely important in the implementation of sprites into PMU.
The implementation process involves copying and pasting sprites from spritesheets, the spritesheets themselves aren’t processed automatically.
As long as you display which sprites are for what animation, any format should be fine.

A simple sprite sheet for PMU would be something such as this:

Considering that we currently only have 4 directions of movement, the number of frames seen in PMU are less than what you’d see in a PMD game, which is why there seems to be so many sprites on the sheets from Spriter’s Resource.
Another point to consider is that in cases where the pokemon is symmetrical, you only need to display sprites for 3 directions of movement.

I’m not aware of any bases for sprite sheets currently, so here’s a quick one I made that you could use:

Another thing to note is that depending on the size of the pokemon itself, the size of the spritesheet might have to be changed, for example:

I hope this helps

1 Like

Thank you <3
I was rather stressed out, I over did it by getting around 50 different sprites (some even legendary so I may not even use them! >m<’) WHILE heart peice hunting… I shall use your sprite sheet base as soon as I get to my laptop later today. ^^