Sprite help please

I’d like to find some way of making Sprites cause I don’t really know how to do that,some instructions would be nice if there isn’t any already

1 Like

What you do Is make a sheet ( you know, draw the sprite Itself + frames ) then If It’s a Gen 6 mon or below you can test how It looks In the PMU toolkit and optionally arrange Into a .sprite file to be converted by staff. If It’s Gen 6+ — even If It’s not really, I would put the sprite frames Into animated gifs so you can show how the sprite should look In-game when submitting the sprite.

When spriting you should have sprites or animations for:

• The Idle
  • Walking
  • Attacking
  • Attacking when using a move that does not glide ( allow you to move while you execute the move )
  • Sleeping
  • The shiny
  • All the above for facing the front, left, back, and right

attack
Since all Gen 1-4 sprites besides Rotom’s forms are official their regular or “glide” attacking sprites look like this, so I think when making your own they should be animated and have multiple frames, looking similar to the above. Diagonal and hurt sprites are not used as far as I know

More or less all you do Is make a sheet and staff kind of handle the rest?
For whatever reason we aren’t allowed to know how to make .chara files so I don’t know at all how they are arranged but that’s what I’d do when making a sprite.

As for portraits pretty much all you do Is draw the portrait and post It. Portraits should be 40x40 In size. Here’s a blank portrait you can use image

When I sprite I use MS Paint, Paint.NET and Photoshop. Usually I use MS Paint. For portraits I open them In Paint.NET to easily recolor. I use Photoshop when making gifs of sprites.

And make sure your sprites/portraits look like they’re from PMD. Reference other sprites and how they look. There’s a nice guide that was never finished about this here. Of what was done It has an Imgur link with an Image with guidance on how PMU sprites are sculptured.

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes