Stop learning, start thinking!

There was something that bothered me highly about the community of PMU, everyone seems to think that PMU’s mapping style is the only way to map, well…you’re all wrong. Why do I say this? Not only because you seem to somehow think a fanmade game can determine the “laws” of mapping but because I’d like to open your eyes to a whole new world of mapping, for those of you who try!

For one I’ll start with the thing I hate the most, too many people think you need to block the edge of cliffs! Let me just say, not only are you not showing any individuality, but you’re not even using common sense or following realistic logic. When I map I try to tackle it from an aspect of logic and comparison to real life, you can’t block the edge of a cliff in real life, it doesn’t matter how weird it looks, personally I don’t think it looks weird at all, but that’s just me.

Some of you might say, well how come we block other things then? That’s just the thing, you’re not forced to block anything, create your own way of conveying art…but make sure in some way it’s connected to logic…for example, I’ll block the bottom of a cliff, well because I don’t think Pokemon can just walk up cliffs, however !!! No one ever said that Pokemon don’t climb cliffs, so who’s to say that the blocking system doesn’t exactly follow logic. Stop learning and start thinking, if you’re always trying to learn you’ll never be able to stop and think about things in a different way and create your own unique style. With this being said I do block some things according to PMU’s mapping style such as rivers, trees and other inanimate objects. Why? Because I feel like in some sense it just fits logic. That’s my theory on map art.

If you didn’t know this form was used by some of the greatest minds on this planet, Einstein, Newton and more…each of them had a problem before them and literally had to forget all they had learned and start just thinking about each perspective of the problem before them and had they not stopped learning and started thinking we wouldn’t have some of the great accomplishments we do today. Be unique, not a robot. That is all.

• FR

The blocking system is pretty straightforward and simple. It’s also rather restrictive, so yes, if you want to be creative, you don’t have to use it! I really miss directional blocking, though. It gives the player so many more options and much more flexibility when it comes to blocking. 0:

(Although, it’s a lot more tedious!)

You sound almost angry at those who get mapping wrong… b-but not all of us are great, or know simple stuff about mapping… //cry
But anyways, yeah! The blocking system and such is pretty simple, as Agunimon said. But for me, it was just the difficulty of finding the place to know where the ‘block’ is.
However, you do state some nice and good/valid points in all of this, and totally agree with a lot of the words you said.

but you’re not even using common sense or following realistic logic

A bit harsh for a new comer, but hey ho we shall learn from our mistakes…!