Tanren Training Dojo

So currently, Tanren Training Dojo is 100% one of the fewer runned dungeon. And before HC, I deffo noticed some issues with what might make it a lot better.

First of all, the recruits. It only has 3 recruits. Sawk, Throh, and Hawlucha. Now, 3 recruits are usual sufficient for most dungeons around this place. However, when you look at their recruit range. Sawk is exclusive to the left path, on floors 31-36F (the last 6 floors), Throh is exclusive to the right path, on floros 31-36F (the last 6 floors), and Hawlucha in the middle path last 6 floors (31-36F). The other floors in the dojo has 0 recruitables. I personally feel like all 3 of these recruits could use more floors, like from 21-36, when the paths starts.

Another thing I want to talk about is tyrogue being exclusive to eggs in the wall after 21F on any path. I feel this is completely unnecessary as 1-10F or 1-20F or 11-20F are all places where tyrogue can be placed as a recruit. The only way to get the entire tyrogue family rn is via grinding these eggs that are in the wall.

Thirdly, the puzzle in the break floor. In order to get into the middle path, a pokemon with x2 speed or uturn is almost required. I personally feel this is unnecessary and the door could use a longer time before closing.

Lastly, there’s almost no good rewards in the dungeon. Just a boss that drops mushroom. Exp aren’t great either.

but tyrogue op though :>

I agree. Tanren Training Dojo is another one of those dungeons Foxie worked on years ago which aged poorly. I personally think the whole path system in the dungeon is kinda silly and wholly unnecessary. On top of expanding the floors, just combining the paths into a single linear dungeon would be the best route forward. That would also remove the problem of the puzzle.

Having Tyrogue be a recruit would be a solid first step to take in dealing with the egg issue - a lot of dungeons from that era have this strategy of making a Pokemon ridiculously rare in eggs which didn’t make sense then and still doesn’t really make sense now. I personally think it’s fine to have it be recruitable here specifically, but otherwise it could go into Mt Barr maybe?

On the topic of Exp, that’s always been a tougher subject for dojos to crack. I think @Syni proposed in a thread years ago about having a dojo pass or something which would give boosted exp on dojo runs. I think it’s a really neat idea and might be a cool way to revitalize not just Tanren’s Dojo, but every other region’s as well.

2 Likes

A bump as it has not been touch for a bit