Unique Orb Sprites

So Escape Orbs In-game have the benefit of being the only Wonder Orb with an entirely new sprite, not recolored, not altered, completely fanmade.
It comes from official artwork that was once made for It.
But the Escape Orb Isn’t the only one that got Its own artwork. One-Shot, Slumber, Foe-Hold and Foe-Seal got their own unique designs as well.

I thought they could get sprites too. I wanted to sprite them and see If I could manage to preserve their extraordinary detail.

Orbs
This Is the transparent “sheet” I made. Not much to say really, but they’re all the same size of the original Escape Orb sprite. The duplicate Foe-Hold and Foe-Seal Orbs have the extra effects. It may look a little odd with them, so I left versions without them.

8 Likes

These look really nice, and I’d love to see them implemented!

In particular, being able to identify slumber orbs without clicking them will be a really nice QoL change.

1 Like

They look really nice, though the outlines need to be all the same colour and perhaps try to make the orbs stand out a bit better in terms of the ‘depth’ effect hence that extra effect on the last two looks better etc hard to explain it though…, It just makes me wonder… if any other designs could be made for other Orbs. But due to these having a larger size than normal ‘wonder orbs’ we prolly need a bigger ‘wonder orb’ sprite in the same scale for all orbs that don’t have a custom one which would stop them looking odd together.
Of course Bulbapedia has artwork of the wonder orb from psmd.

of course… ignore the brown part…

You could also improve the escape orb one too if you want

1 Like

Shut up Le- I mean, thank you! (ꈍ ᴗ ꈍ)

In particular, being able to identify slumber orbs without clicking them will be a really nice QoL change.

That was another reason I wanted to make them. Slumber Orbs are pretty useful It’d be nice to know one Is there without having to check It.

The outlines had color because the Escape Orb sprite actually did not have black outlines so I tried to follow the system. As for that “depth” effect on the bottom of the Orbs, they are only there since the official artwork had them but I added them to the other two. This new sheet has the Escape Orb with black outlines and a new regular Wonder Orb sprite that sort of sucks.

Orb

3 Likes

Those look great!
Wonder if certain Orbs could get a custom ones designed someday too.

3 Likes

More different orb sprites would really make it easier to diferentiate them and spare the annoyance of having to click them all.
Maybe Mobile Orbs, Clease Orbs and Recycle Orbs could have different sprites, too, since they the most useful ones, but we’d have to come up with the designs, since as far as I know they don’t have official artwork.
Or maybe we can give a custom orb sprite to all the Wonder Orbs, but that’s probably not something that’s likely to happen.

1 Like

Giving all ‘wonder orbs’ unique sprites ruins the point of ‘wonder orbs’ but still, there are some which could get custom pretty easy from a design standpoint, such as the Weather causing Orbs.

2 Likes

Well I mean…you can just click on them or pick them up to find out what they do. An actual wonder orb with no identifier until cast might hold mystery, but rest are prelabeled and fairly explicit in what they do within like several seconds of spotting them, at least assuming attention is paid to them to begin with. A change like this might add to their use really, I definitely ignore my fair share of orbs merely because I just don’t care to waste time clicking on each one to see what they are.

3 Likes

@Kirk Let me know if you don’t mind me having these added to our items sheet. We don’t have to change the orbs immediately but these look great!

I believe someone in our sprite group has started on designs for weather orbs recently as well.

2 Likes

@Andy il add them to the item sheet.

3 Likes

@everyone
I know I made this topic and the original sprites months ago but I realized I didn’t like them that much and I Improved them:
Orbs
The main change Is that they’re smaller ( Including the Escape Orb for consistency ). People complained that they were too big, which I agreed on. Aside from that there’s other minor alterations.

5 Likes