A Defog buff, maybe?

every bit of advice i’ve seen from people when it comes to newer people getting to high levels boils down to “gems + crystal and c9 + weather rock”. there’s… not many options for c9, so it just limits creativity when it comes to teambuilding… i think the only reasonable options are swablu/altaria and psyduck/golduck and that just… doesn’t feel like fun for team building.

so i was thinking, why not buff defog to clear all weathers except sunny? why all weather except sunny? well, if you think about it, every weather except for clear comes from clouds. and fog is a type of cloud… so the move already clears a specific type of cloud, so why not just clear all clouds?

it would make team building a lot more fun and open up a lot more options for support pokemon! and maybe people wouldn’t feel like they’d be at a disadvantage for not wanting to use swablu or psyduck!

As a Gengar main, I’d appreciate this change a lot.

Being a Ghost/Poison type, both of its types rely on weather rocks in clear to activate its gems/crystals. As is, it’s a fun, but not top tier speedrunner. Being a ghost type means it doesn’t need a mobile scarf to trespass walls, and it is also immune to those nasty binding moves. Clear Smog makes Monster Houses fold without the use of a slumber orb, as well as bosses that have evasion boosts. Giga Drain means it won’t always have to rely on Rest too much to restore HP, though it’s still good to have in the set.

However, its gem/crystal effects are gone when a Pokémon with a weather-manipulating spawns on the floor. The only way to restore the effect as of now is using foggy, cloudy, or clear sky orbs, which is a pain. Having a way to restore the foggy and cloudy gem/crystal effects without using items would be a huge boon. This would make Gengar a highly respectable, mostly RNG-proof speedrunner in many dungeons if this change was to be made.

1 Like

i didn’t know poison and ghost types were bad like that! you’d think that they’d try and make it so all types were on a mostly even playing field, but i guess not…

1 Like

I still consider Poison and Ghost mid-tier types, as poison has some great moves, and ghost can be great for some Pokémon.

This problem is even worse for Electric, as Mud Sport and Lightningrod can badly weaken electric type moves… if you took a look at my type tier list.

1 Like

This is just one of the things that PMU is missing that seems like it should have already been in the game. There’s virtually no efficient way to deal with random weather changes (ex: Cloud Nine or Drought overwriting your current weather) which can be very frustrating.

There are many QoL additions that could make it into the game, and this should definitely be one of the first things that could be done. Weather is very important nowadays for dungeon runs, as most of the more beneficial items/abilities can rely on having a specific weather set.

1 Like

I still agree, but this is the third thread on this subject.

…the argument against defog being changed in the linked thread is “you can’t blow away the sun” which isn’t even offered up here.

this thread is asking for the move to be able to clear everything but the sun.

i’m going to bump this since it’s been a little while.

i’m going to bump this because we talked about it in the discord.

a good argument for the change was raised: “powerful winds don’t just remove all the clouds in an area, they scatter them. so it could be enough scattered clouds to remove all weather.”