A honest feedback from a new player

Okay, so first of all, hello!

I’m Kaybee in the game, and I go by the name of Kbludoh or Liskus by those who are my closer friends, and I’ve heard about PMU from a few friends here and there who are enthusiasts about the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon universe and have played and enjoyed this fan-made game for a while. Eventually of hearing two of my friends (Leostel and Airazel) talking about events and discussing the game in voice calls, it didn’t take a lot to peak my interest and convince me to give PMU a try, considering how much I like the series. And I’ve tried it in a few different occasions, and I’d like to give some feedback, after debating a little bit about my thoughts with them.

Ignoring the clunky AI (which is understandable considering it’s a fanmade game with a small playerbase) the lack of customizable inputs (which is annoying, but we can find some workarounds or can get used to) and the serious security issue of literally having my account’s password in a unencrypted .xml file in the PMU’s folder (which is, honestly, unacceptable, but is not the main point of this post), the biggest reason I can’t have fun is literally the lack of direction there is of where I should go after completing the tutorials. I was thrown in the main city hub, and that was it. No story to guide, no directions of where I should go, no hint of what to do. You’re just… there. And that’s it.

Both Leostel and Airazel have been in this community for a long time, but relying on them to even have a semblance of where to go is a bit soul crushing for me. We have ran some dungeons, but they are so advanced in the game and are so knowledgeable of everything that I end up just walking around in a dungeon floor before they find the stairs and teleport me there (apparently, Beat Up teleports everyone, shrugs). I want to get into the game and have something to do with them, talk to them about my progress and achievements I’ve reached on my own, but I feel like I can’t do anything on my own, and I don’t want to be rushed dungeon after dungeon, not contributing to anything because… I can’t. I want to earn my stuff, but I can’t do anything without their help. It sucks. And it sucks even more considering how the dynamic of not having set turns like the Chunsoft games makes this version of PMU more interesting and more dynamic, making the gameplay actually interesting for me.

This is something that I’ve been talking about with those friends, and maybe something could be added in the game to help new players out. Maybe a NPC or a hub of NPCs could be implemented that simply has a menu with a list of the dungeons by the order they’re intended to be run, and once you’ve selected the item, it gives you instructions on how to walk to the location and the intended level. It doesn’t have to be in-depth. Just the name of the dungeon, the intended level range, and the directions to get there. That would be enough to alleviate this huge burden of having to ask around what in the world we are supposed to run.

I know my voice is small and I’m just a newbie who is akin to Joltik in an ocean of Onyx and Snorlax, but maybe this could give you guys some input on this huge barrier of entry that probably stops this community from potentially growing. Making the beginning as smooth as possible is important is one of the most important aspects to a game. The tutorials are solid, but everything after is not.

Thank you for reading this far. I hope this feedback helps the community in some way or another, and I hope at least some of the points can be considered helpful.

Hey there, and welcome to PMU!

I’m glad that you’re enjoying the game despite the problems you have with it… and they’re some pretty understandable problems.

As much as I love PMU too, PMU heavily lacks a source of direction as you stated. Once the initial tutorial is completed, there isn’t much to really go from after that point. You have to ask other people—which I think can be a good thing under the right circumstances because this encourages communication and friendships—from the get-go and I can definitely see that being very frustrating, especially if you’re here for I think every new player’s purpose: to play a game.

The downside of the playerbase’s help is that too much help can be a bad thing. Constant dragging through dungeon after dungeon and throwing the achievements/accomplishments at the new player ultimately destroys the purpose mentioned above. You’re missing game content and even if PMU isn’t really story-driven, I do recall some fond memories of running around Pebble Cave and Sour Root on my own and immersing myself in the PMU experience.

Because of the way PMU is built, I guess I can’t really think about anything we could contribute to make early game better. Maybe more helpful NPCs? An advanced tutorial or mini-tutorials to spread around?

Regardless, I hope you can look past PMU’s errors and continue to enjoy the game. If you need help of any kind (whether it be help in a dungeon or just some pointers, haha) there are plenty of kind people in the community willing to give you a helping hand. Furthermore, if you ever catch me online, feel free to ask!

8 Likes

Hey kbludoh! Your frustration is totally understandable. Have you played open world RPG games before? PMU is aspiring to be one of those. Lack of direction is part of the game design. You are meant to explore on your own. All dungeons around the starter town are easy enough for you to clear. Then you progress further away. Some NPCs will give you some clues about the next regions etc. The point of this game is to explore the world on your own.

If you need help, you can ask other players or check out the game’s wikia. It has info on all dungeons, pokemon recruitment guides, and other mechanics explained. I would recommend against running dungeons with very high leveled players because they cheese any difficulty and ruin the fun. Instead, try partying with players around your level or even solo. You will soon catch up with more advanced players, just focus on training one mon to have as your main. Also, get a cleric like Swablu or you’re doomed.

1 Like

I too have had those problems, and leostel actually helped my new account out too. Back in the day, I remember though. they had an NPC at the crossroads south of town where you teleport when you finish the tutorial would say, “hey, Tiny Grotto is that way.” etc etc
It has been changed as far as i can tell. Enjoy your time and if you want help, let me know. Ill lead you anywhere you want. Just whisper my toon, Jovial Serenity

1 Like