Add a move relearner to HCs

Just to keep it brief, since we don’t need to read a 6 page essay about this, we should have a move relearner(an electivire, no past evolution learning, no egg moves, no tutors) in hcs that helps out with the consistency issue of level 1 movesets.

There are an incredible amount of pokemon that have amazing moves as early as level 1, but are locked behind rng in getting them based on how move generation works. Some extreme cases such as Aegislash have 14 moves that they have to luck through in order to get their ideal moveset

A dungeon meant to be run many times over likely shouldn’t have such a variable difficulty scalar applied on the first floor of a dungeon, and only too certain kinds of pokemon. Especially when this applies to a team of up to 4 pokemon that could all have more than 4 starting moves, and one move that is essential to their set.

When the change was made to make it so that recruits could no longer spawn on floors 1-3, one of the justifying reasons was that staff did not want players spamming the first floor of a dungeon they made for some reward rather than playing their runs through. I think this belief should carry through to level 1 learnsets, where I don’t think it’s conducive to good gameplay to have players running floor 1 over and over again for better movesets.

My ideal implementation for the move relearner would be to have an electivire set up on the first floor (or some other npc with the same use) that doesn’t charge anything to use. Alternatives depending on limitations, differing opinions, etc: have a guaranteed floor 1 mushroom(s) (maybe one like the volatile revives in easter hc) drop next to the electivire, add mushrooms as a potential drop in hcs and have the move relearner placed on a later (but not too much later) floor, add some checkpoint/midpoint into the hc with a shop keeper that allows you to buy mushrooms for poke and then keep the move relearner in the same room.

Regardless of the implementation, I think adding a move relearner to hcs would be a benefit for both players and creators of any hc by allowing players more freedom and less headache in choosing pokemon for their runs, without fundamentally changing the intended difficulty of the dungeon.

alternatively… and even easier to implement. just turn off move reset in the hc.

it would achieve the same effect, no?

i don’t like this idea, it make getting good pokemon for hcs harder and easier? let explain:

i really like the move reset, it means it dosen’t matter if a pokemon is level 1 or 100, it’s essetianlly the same, you just need to put the effort into finding said pokemon and evolving, when a new hc drops you can just grab whatever pokemon think would work from your assembly simple and fast!

but if moves aren’t reset things get complicated, it means you have to grind up a pokemon whenever a new hc drops to specially built around beating that hc, because hc often change pokemon inside them pretty drasticly, like for exemple, tidewater beach, being mostly water and flying with no lighting rod in 2021 and 2022 it was filled with lighting rod and eltetric types, just a random exemple,
and it’s not as quick and easy as grabing a tm or rolling tutor moves cause a lot pokemon get good moves with level up so you would need your hc runners to be high level so they can get whatever move you need.

it also makes the pokemon to use a lot less interesting, since your no longer putting thought into what you should use, why look between leafeon or sceptile for your hc run, they just use the same move set now, just use the one with better abilitys, the fact you had to look up thier learn set made the choosing a lot more interesting and fun in my opnion,

it would also make the hcs honestly, a lot more boring, the weak low level moves are actually quite fun to use, you need move around adapt and make use of moves and combos you normally wouldn’t do, if i someone had access to all moves at once, hcs would just be a mindless aoe spam like normal dungeons, it would also kinda ruin thier speciality in a way if you could beat em the same way you beat any other dungeon,

it would also might mean the enemys inside hcs would need to be scaled up to deal with a perfect set up since there’s a pretty huge difference between a arcenine with ember and tackle and a arcenine with overheat,flametrower,outrage,heat wave.

and then there’s the whole disccussion that this new hc system favortes veteran players heavily and who hc’s should be geard towards, ya da ya da

it could also ruin possabilitys in the future to make hc more interesting, with the new items that vanish on dungeon exit you could have something like temp tms inside the hc! maybe they drop from dangerus enemys and they are super strong and op and can be teached to any pokemon regardless of movesets, it would be extremely cool system, which you couldn’t be able to do if moves aren’t reset, just to make a exemple of something, on how level resets can be useful to make fun and interesting dungeons, im sure other people could come up with more fun ideas

removing move reset would be a very messy and complicated matter, when just adding a move relearner on floor one of a dungeon would be quite simple and easy

Removing move reset would make HCs a lot easier, which is not my intention. My only goal is making moves pokemon already have access to at level 1, less of a hassle to get

2 Likes

Hello Drayden,

Thanks for the suggestion! The staff team discussed this and found it to be an interesting concept. We will be trialing this feature in the coming HC.

The implementation will be as follows:

Floor 2 of the dungeons will have a chamber with an Electivire statue with a mushroom spawn. This way you can reroll one of your moves and mitigate the bad luck factor a bit.

9 Likes