Add Kangaskhan Rock at Midpoint of Cryptic Chasm

Scorched Grasslands, Mysterious Jungle, Mt. Moon, Inferno Volcano, Voltaic Rainforest, Starlit Lagoon, Shimmering Seabed, Dragon’s Descent (Depths), Dynamo Sands, Caustic Sewers (Ancient) and Sky Fortress. These are all the 60f+ solo and 60f+ connected dungeons that have Kangaskhan at their midpoint. There then remains 7 dungeons, not including Cryptic Chasm. Tanren Chambers, Sea Floor Ruins (Central), and Harmonic Tower are all examples of dungeons whose purpose would be defeated by a midpoint (maybe not SFR, but it’s still a challenge dungeon). Stark Volcanic Woods and Sentimental Aquifer both lack the space for a midpoint Kangaskhan. And finally Risen Derelict and Spectral Thicket…which I would actually also like kangaskhan storage in, but that’s not the focus here.

Now what would adding a Kangakhan storage (right before the origin gate, to be specific) do? It would add the smallest amount of forgiveness to runs. Like most 60s dungeons, the good items are found more on the other side of the midpoint, so it wouldn’t aid much in cash. It also wouldn’t save you from forgetting your enigmatic key (though it would help if you forgot an engraved tablet). Adding a storage space to the midpoint would essentially serve two main functions. It would add a small amount of forgiveness to stone pickups by allowing you to bring the extra stones from a previous failed run with you without having to keep those in your inventory, and it would make carrying honey a little easier.

Now would this be a big change? No, it wouldn’t - but that’s also kind of the point. There’s a lot of questions of balance that get brought up when talking about positive changes to profitable dungeons. In Cch, there are regularly calls for larger changes such as removing the Wallace puzzle, removing the origin requirement, removing the water/ground requirement and removing the 2 forced key items. This change though is small enough where it shouldn’t swing the balance of the dungeon, while also being a change that just brings the dungeon in line with just about every other dungeon like it.

I agree on this. Cryptic Chasm’s design falls flat for me because of how much of a “have this” check it is. Adding a Kangaskhan rocks helps that.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen that sentiment a lot. It seems like it makes sense to give cch a utility that every other dungeon of its kind has, if it makes the most complained about part of the dungeon a little bit less inconvenient without having to even functionally change the dungeon

1 Like