Add TM Rest to the loot table of more early dungeons

Reworking thread, old suggestion below.

Rest is in theory the earliest method available for players to reliably handle status conditions, but 5k is a bit too high for most players until they’ve already likely got access to Refresh through Swablu.

Rather than simply reduce the price as I previously suggested, I think a better way to alleviate this would be to add TM Rest to the endboxes of early game dungeons like Happiness Lake and Sunny Hillside; a number of items in those boxes are honestly just junk–even in the early-game–and adding Rest TMs could make them a little more worthwhile while also giving newer players a way to deal with the status conditions that will become more and more dangerous as they progress.

Old suggestion

2.5k isn’t really much at all, lol.
Don’t see the need in this. It’s not difficult to obtain anyway, and the price isn’t bad for it. Wouldn’t hurt for people to have to hunt things every once in a while, I’m surprised it’s actually in the Kecleon store.

You’re not wrong. If I want oodles of rest TMs, all I have to do is start spamming Winden Pass.

Ironically though, without either weather control or rest itself newer players tend to just die to hail damage in WP.

An alternative I’d be happy to work with is to place it in more earlygame dungeons (and maybe reduce its spawns in WP to compensate) but my problem isn’t how difficult it is for a mid-lategame player to farm rest, but how how high the barrier to entry is for newer players.

EDIT: Actually, I think I prefer it being in early boxes over just nuking the sale value. Re-branding thread accordingly.

1 Like

Iirc, hail doesn’t appear often in Winden Pass. Plus, an alternative is to recruit something like a Snorunt or a Spheal. Or even get weather TMs such as Rain Dance or Sunny Day.
If anything, and this isn’t forshadowing me wanting them removed, but I think it’s generous enough they’re being sold from the Kecleon shops anyway, lol.

Also, Rest isn’t exactly that great of a move now. I mean, I use it myself, but that’s because I’m used to it. Usually people use it for heal, when nowadays you can easily get a Pokemon with refresh and run something to heal it like Roost, Recover, or moves such as Giga Drain. Rest gets singled out a lot.

Here’s something to consider: most new players will not know of these strats. Heck, some might not know about the potential of TM Rest until told. But here’s another thought: TM Rest can be learned by most Pokémon. New players will most likely want to use Pokémon they want to play as, and TM Rest is the gateway to making their team viable within most dungeons, especially with status effects and weather.

Your focus is too much on teams built for PMU. There should only be these types of teams in the late-game dungeons that actually require knowledge of the game. Most people who join will want to play this game similarly to the original PMD games. I, for one, wouldn’t mind more places for TM Rest to be available early-game for these newer players to have an opportunity to use their own set of Pokémon teams at the start without conforming to the PMU Staples (weather-nullifier, status removers, etc.).

1 Like

True I guess, but if you can’t consider that recruiting one of the Pokemon I listed above is too much work to avoid the hail then I’m not entirely sure what else to say. Unless they were too low leveled, and even then it’s quite easy to get to level 20+.

Disagreed. You want to be able to take something that can heal you / yourself into any dungeon especially if it’s in your level range. Especially if you’re doing a dungeon above your level.
Most people, if they stick long enough will figure out what Rest does too. Genuinely don’t see the need for Rest to be in more dungeons if it’s easy enough in Winden Pass and in most Kecleon shops going but we all have our opinions.

((Sorry if I misread something leading to something unrelated, I sorta only just woke up but I tried.) c;

We are not talking about players in the mid or late game here.

When you first start up the game, from around level 10-20 (or later for most players, as they don’t specifically know to head far north for Winden Pass at 20 and spam it until they have enough rest TMs for everything they want to use) you have very limited ways to deal with status. Swablu or an equivalent being a mandatory recruit is not an argument against increasing Rest’s availability–if anything, it’s an argument for it.

As for weather moves, I’ve already beaten the horse of dungeons being balanced around “bring X or die” in the earlygame to death in other threads.

To someone who knows the earlygame like the back of their hand, yes, there are plenty of ways to breeze right through its challenges. But what I’m more concerned about is newer players more naturally learning how to play the game, rather than requiring a guide or player to tell them they should rush Swablu or Winden Pass for Rest as soon as possible. Most players have no reason to try and visit other regions until well after Cliffside, which would likely have them much closer to 30 than anything else.

Tactician just explained exactly why this is faulty logic, and yet you’re essentially just repeating yourself here. Constraining early teambuilding by requiring a dedicated status cleric is not a good thing. Rest is an alternative that is pokemon-independent, and player choice in pokemon to use is something we ideally want to be as open-ended as possible, making rest more accessible to players early in the game facilitates this.

1 Like