Adding inventory item to grant ROCK HEAD ability to pokemon (that dont have it)

A discord conversation resulted in a couple ideas being floated around:

This is one of them

Introduce an item to grant the ability rock head. Some users think it would be nice, especially for pokemon who aesthetically look like they SHOULD have a rock head (e.g. rampardos)

It probably isn’t difficult to implement, and there are already items in the game that offer something similar (items that give abilities, e.g. adept belt, mermaid veil, air balloon?)

POTENTIAL PROS & CONS

Pros

• have a larger pool of items to make reward loot more interesting
  • encourage ppl to use less commonly used pokemon like rampardos
  • make superscemo happy

Cons

• might dilute uniqueness of pokémon like Aerodactyl and rhyhorn for whom rock head is their only great abilities
  • might make a pokemon that uses recoil moves too powerful (maybe blissey? Or hitmonlee with doible edge and high jump kick respectively)
  • might cause players to start asking for an ability item for every single ability in the game

Feel free to add pros and cons that you can think of. Or if you’d be happy or against the change. We’re all on the same team, just trying to make pmu as fun for as many ppl as possible :D

Ps. Superscemo would like it to be know he/she/they came up with this first

Hiya!

I do have to say, I kinda like the idea as it could be a neat little niche option. There’s only a handful of recoil moves, specifically these:

Brave Bird
Double-Edge
Flare Blitz
Head Charge
Head Smash
Light of Ruin
Submission
Take Down
Volt Tackle
Wild Charge
Wood Hammer

(Also, for what it’s worth, High Jump Kick doesn’t have recoil, it has crash damage.)

There are already some pretty great ability items out there, such as Treasure Specs (Frisk), Scavenger’s Charm (Pickup), Adept Belt (Technician), among others. I’d imagine that if we do make more stuff in this vein, they’re going to be done in a slow trickle over time as we release new dungeons or revamp older ones. I think if we ever made one for Rock Head specifically, it’d be a self-held item, but I don’t currently see any balance problems arising from such an item existing.

Anyways, I like the Rock Head idea enough to keep that in consideration, so thanks for the suggestion! ^_^

1 Like