Attack Summary On Demand

Many times, when I want to learn about a new attack, I can only go based on what the official PMD games say for them. I don’t know the different effects, the move range, or what the PMU-specific effects are until I use it. This is especially confusing when the attack in PMU is especially different from what the official PMD games use them for, or when the move lacks a PMD equivalent.

As such, I recommend that every attack is to be given a summary page, one that describes the base power, the range, the number of power points, the type (for those who are less knowledgeable about every attack that exists), and a small description of what the attacks do — secondary effects and their percentage chance of activation are especially vital for these summaries. This summary should be accessible from the Moves submenu, every time you wish to learn an attack from level up, from tutors, or from TMs/HMs, and it should be accessible straight from a TM/HM item. That way, players can make more informed decisions about the attacks they wish to learn; attacks will be purchased based on the given information rather than by ignorance or risky experimentation — especially if the attack is difficult to obtain.

Now, I understand that compiling all of this information might be a lot, but I’m sure that this information could be compiled by the more devout sleuths of the community; that way, the burden of work could be shared between the developers and the staff if need be.

It would be a project, but a necessary one. I would love to see more information on these moves when trying to learn them! Heck, even having a summary for the moves while looking at current moves would be nice, especially if we could see Range and other things.

I’m definitely willing to put in the work. Even then, there are a bunch of people who document more obscure information than that, so I know I’m not alone! I know that this sort of animation will allow people to more easily compare attacks to each other and to know just what sorts of effects each move has in PMU rather than having to guess based on what the move does in other PMD games or even main series Pokémon games.

1 Like

I totally agree, this is absolutely necessary. Currently you either need to actually learn a move in order to check out what it’s doing or wait for other players to reply.

Adding all this information might be a lot of work, but surely just adding basic information should not require much code. For example, just create a summary for moves, where base power, accuracy, pp, range and secondary effect percentage are automatically looked up from the respective lists (because these lists exist somewhere within the code of the game). Flavour text etc can come later.

1 Like

I am up to do it if you would like a wiki page or something of it just let me knows somehow :smile:

1 Like

This could work with TMs/HMs since those are items with Descriptions but to implement it for other moves I dunno how from a technical standpoint.

Seriously though, What do you guys think on TMs/HMs Descriptions being more detailed?

1 Like

Not only do I believe it’s a good idea, I believe it’s essential to better communicate the differences between PMU’s battle system and the battle system for the rest of the Pokémon franchise. There are so many different attacks that are good in other games but are terrible in this one, and vice versa. Using a TM just to figure out if a move is a 1-tile spray or a 2-tile spray tends to be a waste of valuable TMs that could either be sold or used on someone else that could use those specific move properties.

I think this could also be useful. A database of the different attacks, their base power, their secondary effects, their range, and their Power Point count. This would mitigate the difficulties of giving descriptions to all moves in-game and/or help share the burden of explanation with the programers and designers. I’d love to help where I can!

2 Likes

It’s something I know I suggested In my very first post. I was told It most likely wouldn’t happen ( probably, too lazy to re read ) because of moves changing a lot over time and keeping the descriptions up to date would be difficult. I think It’s something pretty Important, since you know nothing about a move you’re going to learn In terms of function whether It’s via level up or a TM/HM. I think I suggested descriptions for moves generally since that was a thing In all the PMD games ( and again Is useful ), but only having them on the TMs/HMs would be a great start. Mainly, I’m referring to having range and power at least. Range most Importantly.

1 Like

Kind of made this on the wiki, currently it is still incomplete but it is very close to being complete.

Link

1 Like

TMs being more detailed and explaining range etc, is definitely a good idea and easily done.

Also, excellent list, Callthepolice!

2 Likes