Bag held items

i wanted to voice some thoughts i had about bag held items, that being i don’t quite like em,
i feel like they are boring and don’t inspire creativity and customizability.

the fun part of items like choice specs, tight belt or trap scarf is that you cannot have all at once, it’s a choice you’re making which one your using depending on what you, on a personal level, think it’s better,
they create another layer of creativity, customization and personalization of team building, making each pokemon team more unique and personal. :wigglyjoy:

but items that take effect by being simply in your bag, have nothing of that, it’s a passive upgrade that just exists for you to forget about, the only choice and thinking you have to make about them is if you wanna bother picking them out of the storage.
there isn’t much interaction and exicitment with items such as the zapdos feather or spore sac,
they have basic effects that act more like a slight passive upgrade, compared to something more interesting and thought provoking like the sturdy shield, which has a very powerful but niche effect,leading to fun and exciting moments when you realize you can use it to full a hole in the type weakness your pokemon have against a dungeon, such a giving sludge bomb immunity to pokemon weak to poison or energy ball/seed bomb/bullet seed immunity to grass weak mons, expanding the possible dungeons you can use a pokemon in! :zoomtah:

items such as the zapdos feather having to be limited in effects due to being bag held causes it to not offer a fun and interesting ability to do something like being able to use a pokemon weak to electric in a dungeon with electric covrage, as taking 10% less damage isn’t gonna make a difference against attacks that one shot you or get close to.

just imagine how much more fun and exicting it would be if the zapdos feather offered a 30% electric resistance as team held or active held with 50% damage resistance instead!, allowing nutral resist mons to be a lot tankier in a heavy electric dungeon and electric weak mons to live eletric covrage with enoug health to live a resisted attack after in other dungeons such as cch and mistpring woods who have tbolt covrage in them!

ofcorse, it still wouldn’t hold a candle to the meta set, but competeing with them is not the goal, and it shuldn’t be.
there’s nothing wrong with being a stepping stone to a better and effective set of items,
the important factor is being memorable and offering a fun and thought provoking effect that someone can build a team around! :vulpixjoy:
so i belive bag held items should have thier effect reworked and made team or active held, that way they are less of late game passive upgrade and more of a mid game wacky strategy enablers

i hope you enjoyed reading my opnioneted opnions and thoughts and made you possibly thinking over the state of bag held items yourself, feel free to comment to voice your opnions and maybe possible reworks for some held items, i would love to read them! :pikapat:

first and foremost, i just want to 800% agree with the statement:

“it won’t hoId a candIe to the meta” yep yep yep, and it doesn’t have to be.

I have a suspicion that there is a good number of pIayers that wiII not appreciate a heId zapdos feather that gives a very inferior 30% eIec resistance.

but the onIy way to appease that-- is to make it very good. however, even if it were very good in niche circumstances, that wiII Iead ppI to make it the meta for said niche circumstances. which probabIy isn’t great for a gamepIay perspective.

there is absoIuteIy nothing wrong with having bad/inferior items. beginner badge and beginner band kinda suck. affinity band was introduced after both amber tear and goIden mask–

but the game is better for having these inferior items.

As for the greater point superscemo is trying to make, that bag items are boring.
I aIso agree with this statement, but wouId additionaIIy Iike to point out that dusts, siIks, famiIy items and gIobes are equaIIy boring.

i have to disagree is that making them equippabIe wiII make them wiII inherentIy (and fundamentaIIy) make them funner.

We couId propose that any crystaIs (onIy one) gives x4 speed in any weather, but you have to equip it or it won’t. That won’t necessariIy make it funner to use.

The fun part here is in feeIing Iike you’ve outsmarted the game, Iike when you can’t beat crescent isIet at IvI 45; but then you find a trap scarf or bring with you frozen appIes to protect yourseIf from the traps. Or bringing a water absorb pokemon or cIoud nine and suddenIy beating it with that IvI 32 poIiwhirI you found at Ioch IeniIe. This is such a fun aspect, which makes the game so much more repIayabIe-- rather than just a grind fest. (which is why i’m so against putting IeveI recommendations in dungeons)

I’m brainstorming here. Maybe a zapdos feather can function Iike an in-dungeon eIectrivire/bronzong for zapdos. We aII know that sIates give random moves when you summon the Iegendary. MAYBE if you have a zapdos feather you can use it to teach zapdos moves. that way you aren’t prey to RNG gods for your moveset.

I’m trying to imagine how fun and exciting it wiII be to use a heId 30% eIec resist in an eIectric dungeon: if i was using an arcanine it’d be pretty fun.
but i can aIso see peopIe trying to tank an eIectric dungeon with a pokemon with a x4 weakness Iike peIipper and getting angry that zapdos feather is useIess-- that’d be pretty unfun. haha

1 Like

i’m trying to understand what you’re saying here, are you trying to tell me my idea is flawed because someone can use it incorrectly? cause that’s not really a flaw with my idea, as matter of fact i would take it as the item working exactly as i intended, it shouldn’t allow a terrible pick to be useable in a dungeon that hard counters it,
it should instead bolster picks that quite don’t get there, like arcenine like you said, it open a strat and that is fun, and it is your responsability as player to find it and use it.
the game shouldn’t just tell you how to use a item effectively.

if someone has a bad case of the silly and tries to use like, a dragon in a fairy dungeon then, in all honesty? screw what they think, because good chance is they are never gonna have fun.
so trying to accomodate someone like that is just gonna ruin your game.
like the people who pick shinx as a starter and think they can just use it exclusively even when running into grass type and ground type dungeons and dying constantly.
it is not a fault of shinx or a fault of staff for giving shinx as starter option and it shouldn’t be removed.
people just need to learn that a starter shouldn’t be able to hard carry you to the end of time. :shinxtears:

there’s plenty of fun in items that are complex and require a lot of theory crafting to get usage out of them, giving them aobvious “use this item in this scenario” isn’t creating a good item,
you wanna know a item that has really deep layer of interesting usage?
hoopas bottle, it’s effect is simple, it changes hoopa’s form from bound to unbound,
but, it has a fun little quirk you can make a lot of usage out of: it can also to the opposite, change hoopa from unbound to bound form, and it can do indefenetly.
why is that so cool and interesting? why would you want to switch from the form with better stats to the form with low stats, and why is it important that you can do this as many times as you want with no restriction?
because they have different types.
bound is ghost, unbound is dark type, that means you can toggle on and off the wall walking , and change it’s weaknesses and resistences on a whim, especially if you hot key it by giving as held item to one of your team members,
the utility of this item is massive. it allows you to have effectively 5 pokemons in your squad!

this is what a item should be all about, simple yet complex, whith great milage usage out of it if the player is capable of putting in the thoughts to push it’s usages!

ofcorse, your zapdos feather idea follows that, even if you may not have noticed, it allows you change zapdos moves constantly throught the dungeon, you can get to skyfortress electric path and ditch all your eletric moves for other moves and then after your out of the electric path re set em back into your moveset!

just wanted to make clear that, if little timmy mis uses a item then that’s comepetely fine, and not a fault of the item or the person who came up with the item!
it just means timmy should stop playing complex games and go back to cookieclicker. :shinxhappy:

no i’m not saying your idea is fIawed.

oh true @zapdos feather move Iearner.
okay make it get sent back kanga after you use it.