Brutal Swing

I propose 2 changes for this move.

I believe:

( 1 ) Brutal Swing should not hit teammates.

This is a decent physical, small AoE for dark-types, and other mons. Its value and usage would increase if it didn’t target teammates.

( 2 ) Brutal Swing should glide.

Similar to above, this would increase its usage, and make it more effective. For a visual, you could picture a pokemon charging, and swinging at multiple opponents. On another note, Incineroar spins and charges forward when using this move in the main games.

1 Like

I can agree with removing the friendly fire. However, I think making it a glide move is a bit excessive. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do not believe any other AoE over 1 tile glides.

2 Likes

No worries. Outrage and Thrash glide, however that’s only after the 1st attack.

1 Like

Well, sort of. If you try to actually use outrage again it’s not a glide move. In fact, I’m pretty sure that’s a bug, or at the very least a consequence of how it converts any other move to outrage. (Including existing glide attacks such as the basic attack)

1 Like

Agreed with the first statement, friendly fire as a whole should be removed. Second one, it shouldn’t be a glide. An AOE glide would be too powerful.

1 Like

Too powerful as opposed to large map covering aoes? Or high range beams? Physical moves are more or less dead right now aren’t they because of their low range limitations, don’t think slight mobility on what I’m assuming is a two tile aoe at best would be busted.

Note I’m not saying it should become a glide, a spammable aoe stun move for physical attackers is nice as well, but it would be far from overly powerful. The only real thing that’d be needed is unique modifiers, which pretty much every type of attack style has, to keep it in line with others. Pretty sure mobile aoes ala thrash/outrage/petal dance have some lowered speed in relation to whatever causes stuns so you have to keep mobile with them since they don’t really manage stuns well.

Edit: Friendly fire however yes should go if we are going to keep with the permanent removal of it on a number of other abilities.

2 Likes

This has been a know behavior for years without staff ever even noting it is as odd or unintended, it’s probably a decently large leap to assume it is unintended/unwanted.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s strange. However, the amount of ‘gliding’ attacks you have on Outrage and Thrash depends on how many times the move procs.

Now if I remember correctly, 2-tile and above AoEs already have their damage reduced by a specific amount. Thus, it wouldn’t be ‘too OP’. Additionally, Outrage and Thrash also glide - depending on how many times the move procs.

1 Like

A bug that has existed for years and not been a high priority to fix is still a bug.

If it’s somehow intended behavior we’ll know soon enough, but my money’s on it being an oversight at best.

2 Likes

I only stated there has been nothing in the history of the game to suggest it is a bug, anything more is you putting words in my mouth.

2 Likes

The fact all other 2-tile AoEs, with the exception of those presumably reusing the same lock-in script, don’t have this sort of behavior.

2 Likes

Different move types have different behaviors, that’s not abnormal or a suggestion of a bug. Multi hit moves have a faster attack speed than other los moves, do you think them bugged as well?

2 Likes

The specific circumstances in which outrage will inherit the gliding/non-gliding property of whatever move it is overriding does not strike me as something programmed deliberately. Quirk that was noticed and left in? Perhaps. Intentional design? I don’t think so, otherwise it would always glide/always glide after the first hit.

No. They’re also not all LoS moves. (Tail slap) They additionally have significantly higher PP than most other moves, and receive a power boost from Skill Link. I think the design intent is clear.

Though that does remind me… You can do things like wake up faster/burn through outrages more quickly by trying to use one, which I do think would be considered a bug/unintended design quirk.

But I digress, and that’s a thread for tomorrow since I’m about to head off. We should probably move Outrage/Thrash/Petal Dance discussion to a more relevant thread as well, we’re getting a bit off topic here, whoops.

2 Likes

Or they thought it’d create a break / extra vulnerability phase, who knows.

Exactly my point, moves having unique behaviors because of their functions is not a new or abnormal practice.

Possibly

Was about to say the same.

2 Likes