Chrono Cross (Lila's first serious reader insert)

Title says - it’s a story-turned video game. And also my first SERIOUS reader insert. Meaning you insert yourself in the story. c: Aaaaanyways, I’m a huge fan of Chrono Cross; it has epic soundtracks, and an epic plot~ Anyways, let’s start! :3

[hr][/hr]

Chapter 1
Dream Sequence

“Chasing phantoms in one"s dreams…”

Hey… Hey, you! Yes, you! Wake up!

You woke up in a lush grassland, with nothing but grass, the sky, and a draconic-looking castle nestled between some high cliffs. “Where am I…?” you muttered, then heard a voice from inside your head.

You’re in your dream, ya idiot. Anyways, tell me your name or you get to be stuck here forever, it said rudely. You rolled your eyes, then replied, “[name). My name’s [name].”

Alright, [name]. Now, follow me.

A bright yellow light then appeared next to you, then began to take the form of… some kind of fusion between a cheetah and a bird. The cheetah-bird then turned to look at you, as if beckoning you to ride on its back. Hesitantly, you climbed on it, then felt a whoosh of air as the creature took flight. It was as fast as a cheetahーno, maybe even fasterーas it climbed the skies and headed towards the castle in the cliffs.

You couldn’t say a thingーwell, actually, you tried saying something earlier, but it was gone with the wind. Soon enough, the cheetah-bird landed on the pavement floor on the entrance of the castle. Well, go in. Its voice seemed to be much gentler compared to earlier, which you were a little shocked at. You hesitantly opened the door to reveal a hallway which looked nothing like the outside of the castle.

It was… majestic, to say the least. The floors and walls were gold, the hallway was lined with dragon statues of different shapes, colors, and sizes on pedestals, and in-between every dragon statue was an entrance to a room. The roof was painted with all kinds of dragons, flying in the sky, breathing fire, and fighting each other for territory. All in all, the castle was breath-taking. The creature stepped beside you. You could tell it was smirking. Awesome place, isn’t it? Well, maybe you should see the others now. “The others…? Who?” you askedーthough it didn’t even sound like a question at allーwith your eyes still fixed on the ceiling. You’ll find out. Until then, walk around and try to find them. With that, the cheetah-bird dissolved into oblivion. “What? Gosh darn it, it never told me what room ‘they’ are in,” you muttered, then walked on the golden floor.

You sighed, then looked at the third room in the right side of the hallway. There floated a huge red bat, its back facing towards you. You silently reached for the dagger in your belt, then crept up on it. At the last second, the bat suddenly turned around, its mouth open in an ear-piercing screech. Your heart pumped as you ducked to dodge acid from itsーsurprisinglyーnose. Great, a death-booger-shooting bat. Just what you needed. You rolled to the side, then got up and darted to the bat to stab its side. The bat screeched and flapped its wings wildly as you dug the dagger deeper, then went limp and dropped to the floor. You stood there panting, savoring the feeling of victory.

Of course victory would go away soon, because you suddenly heard clapping from the entrance of the room. You turned your head to see a girl standing next to the boy. “Great fighting skills,” the girl said, clearly impressed. The boy said nothing.

You grinned, “Yeah.”

The girl then stopped clapping. “Now, come with us,” she said, then walked out, the boy following close after. You tilted your head, then followed.

The girl led you through three rooms, then arrived to a small cavity in the wall where a glowing pad stood. “You two, step on there.”

It took you a while to notice that the girl was talking about you and the boy. You rolled your eyes slightly, then stepped on it. You heard a different voice in your mind.

Would you like to ride the telepad?

You raised an eyebrow, then replied, “Err… yes.”

Very well.

A bright light then engulfed both of you. The light was so bright, it came to the point where you couldn’t see anything but the blinding whiteness.

The next thing you saw was you in your room.

[hr][/hr]

YAY FOR A NOT-CLIFFHANGER. /shot/

Anyways, I made this in sudden inspiration from the Chrono Cross game. <3

Also, this is totally gender-neutral, so no need to worry if you think you’re a girl. XD

Sjsjjdjdiiwnnddncndjjejejen This is so short. D:

Chapter 2
Arni Village

“Where the tides start to turn…”

You groaned. What kind of dream was that?

And then you noticed it wasn’t a dream when you saw the blood on the dagger on the table next to your bed.

Oh god.

So it wasn’t a dream… you thought, then looked around your room. You can’t help but wonder who the boy and girl is in that dream…

Well, time for another day in Arni Village, it seems.

Your parents were out today. Good. Now you can finally explore the town without being punished. You see, you were never really allowed to go farther than the first ten steps from your door, which kinda… eh, sucked. So you waited for an opportunity to explore the town for once and make some friends. And this was an opportunity.

Hesitantly looking out the door in case of your parents, you stepped out slowly, then passed the distance limit of your house.

Oh yeah, [name], you finally did it, you thought, feeling the ocean breeze.

You see, Arni Village was a small, quaint village located near the sea. Your house is near the beach as well, and there’s this forest nearby, which you forgot the name of.

You began to take a stroll around the village. The houses were simple, making you feel like you’re in a little happy town without any worries. And then your trance was disturbed by a bark nearby.

You turned around and saw a pink dog. “Hey, you! Stop straying near to my house or else!” it said.

…Wait.

Did that dog just talk?!

You raised an eyebrow at the pink dog. “Hey! Don’t give me the eyebrow, stinker! I know you’re here for more of my Heckran Bones, aren’t you?!” itーor rather, she barked.

“Heckran Bones? What the heck are those?” you asked, laughing mentally due to the small pun you implied.

The dog growled, “Heckran Bones. They’re bones who heal literally anything, and it tastes delicious at the same time. I’ve been saving a lot of those bones, until a jerkーthat is, youーbegan to steal them all!”

“Well look here, I didn’t steal any of those Heck-whatever Bones, and next time, don’t go accusing people of stealing your Whatchamacallit Bones or whatever!” you spat back, glaring at her.

The dog glared back. It was like a glaring contest, but eh. You’re going to show the dog who’s boss. Big time.

Well, until the boy from last night’s dream showed up.

The dog jumped up suddenly, ignoring you. “Serge! You’re finally back! Did you find my Heckran Bones?” she asked, running up to the boy, Serge.

You just stood there staring at him. “Uh, hey dude, you’re the one from my dream…”

Serge looked at you, then nodded.

Weird… Does he even know how to talk?

He gave the Heckran Bones to the pink dog, who you realized soon enough as Poshul. Hmm. Fitting name for a pink, jerky dog, you thought, snickering, then turned your attention back to Serge.

He looked back at you, then said, “Come with me.” then walked away.

You tilted your head, then sighed and followed. Soon enough, you ended up at the beach, near the outskirts of the nearby forest, where a girl in a white dress waited for you. “Serge! You’re here, finally. And who’s that?” she asked, pointing to you.

“My name’s [name],” you said, then smiled. “Nice to meet you.”

“Now’s not the time for babbling. Serge, [name], I want you to go to Lizard Rock and get me three komodo scales. Now!” the girl replied rudely, to which you glared at her at.

Great, more bossy people, just what I needed, you scoffed mentally, then went into the forest with Serge.

You wanted to yell back at her when she shouted, “I’ll be waiting in Opassa Beach for you guys! And go faster!

[hr][/hr]

Another short one, ohgod I fail TnT