Crystals should give quadruple speed

Agility is not a good enough reason to nerf the crystals. Abilities such as speed boost should retain the double speed, but crystals should continue having the quadruple speed.

Also, crystals are a very expensive item that people have payed large sums of money for, so nerfing everyone’s precious items for the sake of one move is not exactly fair. This whole change literally originated because someone asked on discord “why does agility say quadruple speed but nothing happens??”. Agility is only available to very specific mons so the mechanic is not entirely useful.

Should this suggestion be ignored, then Tailwind should get the same effect as Agility. I don’t think that anyone really uses Tailwind atm.

I disagree. If you ask me, crystals are now in a much healthier state than they were before, while still being undeniably useful; the change actually gives speed boost a reason to exist endgame, whereas crystals previously just removed the need for any other sort of speed increase.

I have a complete collection of crystals, and I’m still always packing a crystal whenever I run a dungeon allowing items. They’ve not suddenly been made obsolete.

That’s a very bold assumption to make, or do you have the staff behind the change on record as saying this was why it was changed?

It’s plenty useful, but not freely handed out to every pokemon ever. Every single pokemon having access to the highest possible movespeed removed things like speed boost and agility from consideration when teambuilding. When one option with minimal opportunity cost to run crowds out all others, it forces all pokemon onto the same page.

Now all pokemon have access to increased speed, but a few less have access to max speed. That’s something additional to consider when teambuilding, which I see as a good thing.

I’d personally love to see tailwind function as an AoE movement speed boost, but with the caveat that it cannot be stacked with itself. (Though you could stack it with, say, crystals to get x4)

1 Like

The change wasn’t something that was entirely intended, it’s just a side effect from the new animation system that got implemented. I can confirm it was Not due to a message of a player saying quad was useless.

In someway it does balance out the crystals better than they used to be and qaud speed is no longer useless and double speed is actually controllable now.

I’m sorry you feel that it devalues the crystals, again it was a side effect, but it seems to be for the best.

The new animation system changed every kind of speed, from walking, running, double and quad speed to work with the new animations. I don’t know the process that happened, but I assume it may of been not possible to use the old speeds due to the old system probably working differently.

Also don’t forget there’s items like Quick Orbs, All-Mach-Orbs, Quick Seeds, etc etc
and Agility isn’t the only move that boosts speed this way. Rock Polish does too if i recall.
I can look into other moves that boost ‘speed’ as a stat, but I can’t just change them all.

The crystals, which I implemented(minus the few Gems that were speed boost originally) after release did feel rather overpowered, since you could get a crystal for each type and stack it with a Gem. But there was no slower speed than double that was still faster than running.

The items are meant to supplement your speed, not give you insane speed. In a way this balances out my concept for the Crystal/Gem split a lot better.

Whilst quad feels like the old double speed, it’s actually faster, and the new double speed is only a bit slower.

2 Likes

Since you mentioned looking into moves that boost ‘speed’, may I suggest having Autotomize boost movement speed? I feel like it’d be one of the easier decisions since it’s pretty much Agility/Rock Polish but with a decreased ‘weight’ effect.
I also agree with Tailwind being an AoE speed boost. It might even have a nice refresh-like niche if implemented, like helping party members quickly escape from a large group of hitstunning enemies.

What happened to tail wind, didn’t it used to boost the whole teams movement speed? Because it only boosts normal speed now, although I might just be remembering incorrectly. Regardless it’d be nice if it rose team movement speed, not only does it make sense but it will be viable as a support move, and allowing teammates who don’t have crystals keep up.

I see, thanks for the clarifications Kirk! Yeah I’d agree that in this case other moves could get the effect of Agility, like Tailwind, Flame Charge etc.