Does Sky Fortress really need a Flying-Type requirement?

But dungeon restrictions are supposed to be effective. What is the point of having a restriction if it doesn’t affect most of the playerbase? In fact, in the months I’ve been playing this game, the only time I had realized that there was a restriction was when I had purposefully decided that I wanted to keep things interesting by changing up my team into something that played significantly differently than what I was used to. So it’s too weak of a restriction to actually cause people to approach this dungeon differently, but overly restrictive enough to prevent exploration and variation in running strategies. That’s where the restriction fails, not on accounting for fairness (or lack thereof).

I thought it was Rock Climb. And not only do they give you Rock Climb for the explicit Rock Climb puzzle that’s right after the midpoint, they also give you a way to escape the dungeon without losing your items or requiring an Escape Orb. And considering that I ran the dungeon primarily with a Delphox at first, I don’t think there was any sort of type restriction. Regardless, I’m not sure this is a particularly useful example here.

Except again, the “bring a flying type” restriction isn’t very much a restriction at all. Set-level and no-item dungeons require a fundamentally different approach to completion than any other dungeon, and that’s okay. That’s good, even. But to just have “Hey, bring one (1) flying type” is to slightly inconvenience at best and have literally no effect at worst. And if SF was designed to be a challenge dungeon (as has been stated repeatedly in this dungeon), then this restriction definitely needs to be altered; either that, or it should be removed and the dungeon itself be looked at in order to preserve the feeling of challenge.

I don’t understand the relevance of this to your argument. Are you saying that the flying type restriction is what kept Sky Fortress popular? Or am I misinterpreting your point here?

I will repeat what I had said in an earlier post in this thread: There are plenty of different ways to increase difficulty without affecting annoyance levels. Truthfully, I enjoy a challenge every now and then. It’s part of the reason why I prefer training in Voltaic Rainforest over Mysterious Jungle, during the few times I do train. However (and I repeat this as well), the flying type restriction is less a challenge and more a push towards what the established metagame already is. It’d be like forcing people to bring “at least one Tapu” to Sun/Moon Smogon Singles OU battles — it’s something that most people do anyway, and only affect those who specifically wanted to try something different.

I think that, if the rate of PP restore and revive items were reduced, then Sky Fortress would easily be one of the most difficult dungeons in the game — and that’s even considering that your belly resets basically every 10 floors. But that’s a topic for another thread. Either way, the restriction affects the variation involved in tackling the dungeon, not the difficulty of running it. If the problem is, in fact, due to the dungeon being like every other dungeon, then this flying type restriction is not the way of fixing that problem.

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I’m suggesting. The -1 team selection due to the Flying-type restriction has absolutely no difficulty whatsoever. It’s just restriction for the sake of restriction. And you’re really making a simple map edit sound much more major than what it really is. It’s replacing water/air tiles with standard tiles. It’s really not that big of a deal, it’s not like the entire dungeon is being changed.

Anything that is considering itself a challenge, should be fair. A massive issue a lot of games have when it comes to challenge and difficulty is making things unfair, which means it just ends up being not very fun. Challenges/Difficulty SHOULD be fair. It makes it feel more rewarding when you win.

About Tanren Mines, I’m gonna have to get back to you on that. The only thing I remember that dungeon requiring was HM Rock Climb. The Water/Ground type requirement seems very odd and out of place to me. But yes, if it does hypothetically have that. Then it should be removed, especially if the game doesn’t tell you about it.

I’m not sure if I understand what you’re saying. Yes I prefer challenges/difficulty dungeons to have restrictions like level or items. That’s what makes them challenging since you can’t just bring in Dusts, Silks, fam. items ect. I don’t know what you mean by same formula, there hasn’t been a new dungeon that has a forced level released in quite a bit. Almost all the new dungeons are pretty standard (Not that there is anything wrong with standard)

You’re comparing apples to oranges here. What Pokemon you can bring are completely different than items. Again, I wouldn’t mind party restrictions (e.g “You can only bring up to two Pokemon into this dungeon”) akin to PBA’s restriction to one Pokemon. But what I hate is being forced to bring a SPECIFIC type of Pokemon. If they really wanted to make it difficult they would limit your slots so you can’t abuse team hold items such as No-Stick Cap. I’d be forced to choose between something like Damp Rock & No-Stick Cap or Miracle Chest. Ect.

That’d actually be difficult and a challenge, forcing players to choose what items they want to prioritize. Not just grabbing a random Pokemon from your assembly and slapping an item on them.

Again, I cannot emphasis enough that Sky Fortresses’ Flying-type requirement isn’t difficult, nothing about it presents a challenge whatsoever. It’s just annoying. At it’s absolute worst, it’s simply a minor inconvenience.

1 Like

I just ran through Tanren Mines to double check if what you said it was true (It’s not). I’m not even sure what would make you think that. There is no type restriction at all for TC. The only requirement is Rock Climb and that’s for one puzzle.

1 Like

Cryptic Chasm has water/ground and dig restrictions, not Tanren Mines. That’s my bad, but if you’re gonna talk about dungeon balance you gotta know all the dungeon mechanics.

We’ve already said that the flying type restriction is there because you need a flying type to beat the dungeon. It is a restriction objectively, the primary suggestion was to remove it and removing the restriction makes it easier.

This is me ranting more than anything without giving all the details out. In short what i’m saying is dungeon with restrictions are often more hyped than dungeons without.

I’m not fully fleshing out what I’m addressing about dungeon balance cause I wanna make a separate thread about it, but we can agree to disagree with a lot of the things I said.

3 Likes

What does one dungeon’s balance mechanics have to do with another? Again it’s comparing apples to oranges. Also cryptic chasm’s type requirement isn’t that bad since it has set levels. So you don’t need to worry about having Pokemon trained. Unlike Sky Fortress.

But you need a Flying-type to get to the dungeon in the first (Mt.Stormhold) Don’t you think that is enough?

Also you keep saying it makes the dungeon easier but I fail to see how. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Flying-type restriction does absolutely nothing to increase difficulty whatsoever. Just because something is annoying doesn’t mean it’s a well designed challenge. (Which is a huge problem with PMU’s puzzle designs)

I suppose so. I don’t think either side is going to budge. I just can’t see how it’s supposed to make the dungeon more difficult at all. As I said before it’s a slight inconvenience at the absolute worst.

2 Likes