Dungeon guidance discussion?

Problems: new players do not know which dungeons are right level for them, don’t have any given objectives, and are demotivated to continue!

Of course it’s been brought up before. Though I am thinking of easier ways of guiding players to correct dungeon than creating a story like in PMD series or changing current overworld structure. These forms of easier solutions might not be perfect, but still something. I do have a suggestion on my own.

[spoilerOne suggestion: Use mission board:2h2x1f4d]One !-mission is on the board first time you look (the same ! is in PMD series for new dungeons), to Pebble cave F5. When the mission or the dungeon is completed, a new mission appears at Seaside Cavern final floor. It continues like so, harder for every dungeon beat.

I am not sure how easy this is to implement. Also, reaching the last floor doesn"t mean you actually beat the dungeon. However, the !-missions is one way PMD series guide players and so I think new players would find it intuitive. Maybe it"s also possible to make it branch, giving for example both Thunderstorm Forest and Gritty Hollow as “new dungeon!”. Kind of mission? For simplicity they could be rescue missions, the point is to show which dungeons to go to.

But relying on mission board also means we have to ensure players know about missions! A wonderful suggestion on that already exists. It"s about having an extended tutorial introducing the mission board. Though, to be fair, nothing has happened with this suggestion for a long time.

[/details]

Do any of you have suggestions? Perhaps what I’m thinking of isn’t easy to make at all? Or perhaps you prefer all work to be put on something big like storyline? Respond!

I think posting a NPC posted somewhere in all different towns should have the level ranges of all the dungeons.

Think of this as an explorer who has taken notes on the dungeon name, location and what levels to expect.
(bonus to include pokemon typing, or items.)

Having this NPC can help direct players to an appropriate dungeon to go to.

I’d be a lil concerned about mission board space when leveling the first team, but that aside, many dungeons are sort of ambiguous on level and progress.

As for level (especially Xel’s suggestion):

(Note: when i talk about “experience” i’m not talking about exp for levels, but rather time spent in game/doing a given dungeon)

Example: Tanren Mines, experience in game.
When not in a party…
An experienced player can do this dungeon to rock climb at level 40 easily.
A lucky player who’s new to the dungeon can do the same.
The average player i see cannot complete it for the first time until level 50, give or take 3 levels.
Then the final part, post rock climb, thats significantly harder than the pre rock climb part - level 50s who know what they’re doing can succeed with a bit of skill and specific items…but even for a high 50s it can be near impossible especially if you didn’t prepare for the traps, poison and EQ which become more vicious (more likely from an inexperienced player).
Nevermind, some pokemon due to typing ad/disadvantages will also change the gap - a flying type is going to need a significantly higher first time completion level than a water type.
So what level range would be suggested?

Example: Dragon’s Decent, partying up.
Talking specifically in the context of grouping up for this one.
Alone, one needs a level 70-95 (depending on experience, preperation, luck, and the potential of indivdual pokemon - e.g. kingdra is basically the most efficient pokemon to beat this dungeon with) to complete this dungeon…
In a party, one needs a level 60-70 (depending on experience and typing). That is a pretty significant gap i see there, so what level range gets suggested?

These two issues - ESPECIALLY experience gaps for first time completion - are issues that occur with every dungeon, the higher the level of the dungeon the larger the gap for both factors shown.

While, you could suggest the level range for an average player, someone who’s inexperienced is going to get frustrated they may be unable to complete a dungeon at the suggested level.

As for progression (especially Whimsy’s suggestion):

Okay, so, there are some dungeon progressions i agree with. Some are…a lot more ambiguous.

So, picture this. It’s your first pokemon team, these are your highest levels, and it’s your first run through the game.
You are level 40, and wish somewhere to train.
You just came out of Skylift, and now want a better place to go so you look at your mission board…

On it, it says Snowveil Den, Southern Sea and Rustic Savannah to explore.
You find SS is tough, but doable. SD is incredibly tough alone, while you can do it, you could do it in a group more efficiently. RS is impossible for you to do alone unless you avoid most of the enemies, though that kinda misses the point, as your main is OHKOd by arcanine’s flamethrower.

Frustrated, you put a suggestion on the PMU Forum…no i’m kidding there.
In the above scenario, all 3 dungeons are applicable to a level 40 - SS basically IS the 40s training place (for applicable types). SD is very tough (or even impossible) alone for those inexperienced but in a group becomes a 40s dungeon (for the inexperienced, the experienced will be able to to it at 40s with relative ease). RS is higher “skill” than both of these with even tougher enemies, and even in a group 40s will struggle, but it’s doable depending on luck and weather.

So…what would be suggested for a 40s range first time? Would you put only SS up then SD/RS once that is complete? Or…do you put all 3 up?

Additionally, this WILL take up a large amount of board space at some levels, but that matters little as long as they are ranked missions.

Then, there is the issue of what if someone doesn’t want to do that dungeon right away? It may be just taking up space on a characters own mission thingy, as they’re e.g waiting for a higher level due to type disadvantages.
I kinda like freedom in MMOs and not a “GO HERE” tone but a “there is something you could do here” tone from the game…granted, with so few dungeons in PMU, it’s more of “Go here it’s the only thing you’ve yet to do”, so not sure what my opinion is on that part but i can forsee it bothering some people.

I think that well be a great idea because, it can really help new players and they don’t have to ask other players where to go, they can pick a dungeon they can train in! :D

1 Like

I think a plot, not necicarily a bit one, a string of losely conected events that give us an objective to persue and a incentive to do it would be very appreciated.

1 Like

I played pebble cave which is super easy so it was good. I think after that the bronze training is the most useful. Though I did have to do a bit of research which is fine but I wish there was a bit more in game guidance.
I figured how to switch between pokemon after a bit it’s a little different to the games where u have all your pokemon with u so I its kinda changes the experience a lot. I think maybe in the beginning there could be a guidance bot or something maybe like the neopets one.
Or maybe just like a graphical information spread it doesnt even need to be ingame. I also had to look up directions to places as in game navigation did confuse me a bit.

Also it feel a bit of a grind since I can’t find any missions to start since you gotta play through enough dungeon to get. I think with the original game my motivation for playing wasn’t to go to random dungeons as much as to complete missions as well as progress the story.
I think the first mission if implemented should be sent directly to you therefore not clutter the mission board. Though idk how that would work tbh ;P