Dungeon Review: Concealed Laboratory

Been back for a bit, before the semester starts - just wanted to say, whoever made Concealed Laboratory, good job! I can tell a new staff member made it, but there’s still loads to appreciate! Here’s a list of things I really liked:

• location! it’s not easy finding ways to incorporate different types of dungeons in Winden, because well … it is a snow region. But I found the laboratory idea very interesting, made me think, “hmm! why didn’t I think of that!” also, nice little nod to the Pokemon Ranger series.
  • mapping: beautiful detail to the maps, entrance to reward rooms - all very aesthetically designed. Simple, and not over the top. Really wish other dungeons could incorporate a similar level of enthusiasm and effort.
  • dungeon design: always excited to run into a mapped chamber. they fit the vibe and also indicate effort and thoughtfulness. also, placing items in chambers make them more worthy - so its not just aesthetic, it’s a guarantee of a certain supply item. also, nice transition from smaller lab rooms, to the more spacious basement design.
  • storyline storyline is generally nonexistent in PMU, but I’ll give you points for effort. paralyzed pokemon as ‘experiments gone wrong’ made me curious and sustained my interest. Also the option of three bosses, very cool!

things that could have been better? well, nothing objectively, that I can think of, buuuut! one of the tilesets in the middle didn’t really mesh well. gave too much HT x Caustic Sewer vibe at one point, but the start and ending tilesets, absolutely stellar choices.

perhaps think about adding ‘stories’ in the little diaries? kind of like cinnibar? some connection to festi’s dungeon (or even just mewtwo in general!) would be nice.

also. EGGS! would love a cool recruit in the eggs, or maybe just nice elekid eggs.

I believe in appreciating thoughtfulness and attention to detail, hence this post. i’m no expert on dungeon difficulty curves, or rewards, or balancing recruits, or anything that the more serious community of dungeon grinders enjoy, but i’ve always found more charm in the intangible pleasure of pmu, the aesthetic, an invitation to an interesting world, and the dungeon experience as a JOURNEY and not just a means to an end. (to get x/y/z!) so this was nice.

hoping to see more of such! ^-^

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your opinion! I appreciate it, as it was my first perm dungeon in the game. The ‘‘ht/caustic sewer’’ tileset was meant to resemble a more underground level of the lab, that serves as the lab’s waste drainage - that’s why the waters are poisoned and all. I see how it’d be a little jarring with the rest of the tilesets, though. Diaries would definitely be fun - I enjoyed reading through those in dungeons like CCh. Currently, they’re little notes and books that are later used in the trivia passageway. Thanks for appreciating the little details, I do believe in them too, they bring out the personality in a dungeon.

I could see about adding a couple of eggs to the dungeon, too. That would be a nice addition.

(i moved this topic from suggestions to game discussion though, since it’s a little more fitting of a category for review posts!)

1 Like