Dungeon Select Map

Ever want to get somewhere quick? Fly isn’t fast enough?
As an lazy Player I always found running to some dungeons a pain especially if you were shiny hunting and I thought that a map of sorts that could teleport you to the dungeon of choice’s entrance. Of course said dungeon would have to be beaten for it to be unlocked in the maps teleportation list.
I made some assets to see what it could look like.Mapthing1 funkycompas
There could be different restrictions to use it like rank or beating a dungeon a number of times, I think its best that you just need to beat a dungeon once to be able to teleport to it.

Thanks for reading this please share any ideas you got cya.

This would be pretty op unless it was limited to like 5-10 uses per paying imo but real nice sprites

Honestly, I think that having the rank restriction for Master Rank and above would be fine. After all, rank does show how much you put into the game (or how much you can work with others), so having this be a reward for achieving that high of a rank would be pretty neat!~

2 Likes

Im very on the fence with how I feel about this, on one hand I totally get the annoyance for running around when trying to spam run a dungeon or even getting to dungeons that take a decent trek to reach and would love something like this, but I also feel like this might limit the exploration in a supposedly exploration based game. If something like this did get in I definitely agree it’d need heavy restrictions like master rank or even guild master rank to access. Only for the most advanced of explorers!

5 Likes

…hun? do you not realize the sheer grind for guildmaster rank? 100k points. and by the time you’re guildmaster, unless you’re an avid capitalist/shiny hunter, your drive to dungeon takes a nosedive to near nonexistent. guildmaster is way too high if you ask me. master is a fine requirement, but if that’s too low, master 3* is a fine compromise – cause you’ll be there for weeks/months if you’re after guildmaster anyway.

take it from someone that’s gone through with the guildmaster grind.

1 Like

it only takes a few missions if ur doing good missions an this idea is wayyy to op to be in PMU in the first place since rest stops would be useless if this came out

2 Likes

Expand on this? If it took until Master Rank to have the Dungeon Select Map, wouldn’t rest stops still be used by people who are lower rank? It may devalue it a bit, but it doesn’t make them utterly useless. You still have to travel to those higher-ranked dungeons to finish them, and to get to Master Rank, you would want to complete these higher-ranked dungeons for missions. And to finish these higher-ranked dungeons, you’ll need to train, which means Rest Houses would still be used for grinding purposes until they can achieve Master Rank.

This is just my thought process though. While you say it might be OP, I think it’s much better to have something to look forward to while grinding for missions and the like that’s not just bragging rights and owning a guild (which still needs more updates to be good).

Edit: This game is also PMD influenced. You always could travel to any dungeon just by the crossroads. In PSMD, dungeons were locked to each continent, but you could unlock the Nexus to travel to any dungeon in the end game. I could see this fitting perfectly for those wanting to have that same ability to travel to any dungeon like they could in the PMD games put into PMU.

Also, how is it overpowered to save time going to a dungeon you’ve already cleared? You skip the use of HMs, but you needed to have the HMs in the first place to clear it.

7 Likes

I really like this idea paired with dungeon victories as a restriction ( and maybe add explorer rank in there too) . When shiny hunting and spamming dungeons, some dungeons are just better to run just because they have a rest spot so people can save time, which is pretty unfair. This idea makes every dungeon to be on the same playing field, especially for shiny hunting.

4 Likes

Pretty neat sprites and idea. I more or less agree with the general opinion of the thread; huge potential but needs the right restrictions.
Though if we consider this to be implemented, I’d like to see some more creativity, potential ways to support the market and create a gameplay loop, something PMU could use more of.

Few random ideas I thought about:
PS: From the future. I went overboard with the ideas. It has become a detailed description of a mechanic, but I gave it my all so read if you’re willing. :sadmimi:

Click to Expand (Read Time: 5 mins)

=Dungeon Memory=

• Have a new mechanic, “Memory Well” for every dungeon.
  • This is essentially a meter to be filled by the player before they can access a specific dungeon in the “dungeon selector map” for free.
  • Every dungeon will have a different depth of the “Memory Well”, for eg: Pebble Cave’s well = 150 deep, Skylift’s Well = 300 deep.
  • Everytime you beat a dungeon, its Well is filled by 1 unit.
  • Make a new “currency” item called “Memory Shard” specific to each dungeon, eg: “Memory Shard (Pebble Cave)”.
  • Memory Shards can be traded.
  • Each Memory Shard when used (via an NPC or something), will fill the corresponding dungeon’s Memory Well by 10 units.
  • Memory Shards of a dungeon may be obtained from slightly rare hidden items in a dungeon, boss drops, as well as dungeon end boxes.

=Baseline Requirement=

• In order to use the whole quick travel part of the “dungeon select map”, the player must be at least Master Rank.
  • However, the player’s respective Memory Wells will continue to passively fill up as dungeons are cleared.
  • Memory Shards can be obtained, stored and traded but not used before Master Rank.

=Paid Access=

• Even without filling the Memory Well, a dungeon may be accessed if the player has (i) Beat it at least once (i.e. Memory Well has at least 1 unit), (ii) Is at least Master Rank, (iii) Pays a fee in Poke for each entry.
  • The base fee for every dungeon entry will be 5k Poke, considerably more expensive than a single time investment as with rest stops.
  • This fee will scale down as the Memory Well of the dungeon fills up, ultimately hitting 0 when the Well is 100% full. eg: (Entry cost = Base Cost * (1 - % of well full) )
  • This means, dungeons having deeper Wells will remain expensive to access for a longer time than dungeons with shallow Wells.

=Optional Features: Dynamic Wells=

• Once full, on beating dungeons a Memory Well starts to “overflow”. These overflowed units can be reclaimed as Memory Shards.
  • Multiples of 20 overflowed units would fetch you 1 Memory Shard, anything extra is lost. For eg: claiming 21 or 39 overflowed units would both yield 1 Memory Shard. But claiming 40 would yield 2 Memory Shards.
  • Potential “Drying up” mechanic: Whatever I thought was too punishing so I’m leaving this empty, it can be scrapped.

If you read so far, congrats and I really appreciate you! :rowletscream:

You will need to read ^ to completely understand, but TLDR why this would be a good mechanic:

1. Gameplay Loop: Working to unlock free travel for each dungeon.
  2. Money Sink: Paid entries.
  3. Sense of Progression: Entry cost scaling down as dungeon Memory Wells are filled.
  4. Promotes Player Trade/Economy: Shards. Especially those of popular dungeons.
  5. More explorer rank level up rewards.
7 Likes

Huge fan of that idea veezo and not even too complex to implement imo i really hope this gets added if this comes to be also for the drying out part maybe like 20 uses at max fill and then reset or varying for all dungeons idk either way great idea!

My take: Buying rest stops “unlocks” them and they can be accessed by this selection map by the crossroads. This way rest stops aren’t useless, and It can be a money sink ( not a good one, just a money sink ) since you’d have to go around and buy them all. Don’t @ me.

6 Likes