Everstone quality of life suggestion

The purpose of an Everstone is to stop leveling while holding it. That works fine as it is right now, you use up an item slot to stop you from reaching the next level.

However, dropping it to a trip trap (which are fairly common in most high end dungeons where you’d use this item) and killing just one enemy causes you to instantly level up, which makes the item not worth using and makes for a very sloppy experience, especially when playing in parties where your friends might aoe down enemies the second you drop the item to a trip trap. This seems like an unnecessarily large punishment for a trap that is meant to be a minor hindrance.

My suggestion for this is to make the item unable to be dropped via trip traps, so that you don’t have to constantly worry about this and so that the item properly fulfils its intended function.

Isn’t this a very special case? If it happens, you can always fix this with doom seeds. I don’t think that many people use the everstone anyway.

It’s not really a special case to hit a trip trap, there are plenty of them in dungeons. Back when I used this item for a short time, it happened to me at least twice before I stopped and just used doom seeds instead.

It seems like an unnecessary evil to have to use a doom seed every time you hit a trap and accidentally level again, when you’re literally wearing an item to prevent you from doing that.

How many people use something doesn’t really matter though when it comes to designing something, and I’d argue that with a more polished experience, this item would actually be used more often. I know I would use it if it wasn’t for this issue.

3 Likes

I dont have any votes left, but I support this :dittochest:
the whole ‘you can level up anyway if you get tripped’ is the only thing stopping me from using this on my high-levels like Syni said

Sacrificing an entire item slot just to avoid leveling up is a pretty big commitment to begin with. Then to have it all go down the drain due to a single trip trap and a random Bidoof dying in the background is pretty tragic, so I do support this suggestion as well.
Just this small change will make the item much more appreciable and feasible to use.

That being said though, adding an exception to just an everstone does come out as seemingly random. Ideally, we’d want everstones to not add any experience it gains to the pokemon holding it, but still be able to share the experience to party members and your team via exp all (since that’s one of everstone’s biggest applications to begin with).
This way, trip trap or not we wouldn’t always have to worry about treading the thin ice of 99% experience.

Though I’m aware such a solution is hard to implement and until it can be achieved, Syni’s suggestion will at least bring out the best in the item.

6 Likes

I agree with that. Ideally I’d like to have suggested what you noted - however I also thought this is probably too much of a hassle to implement and thus wouldn’t take priority. In case it isn’t, though, that is definitely the better way to go about it.

1 Like

Maybe make ever stone give an effect that as long as you entered the floor with it (like frisk) you are exp locked till next floor that way trip trap wont affect you/ the implementation should be easier because it will just be a new status effect (no exp effect) triggered by an item which already sorta exists in the status inducing orbs.

1 Like

as long as we dont have to refresh floors and the exp all still works, i’d be all for it!

2 Likes