Faster travel to dungeons

Hello!

I have some ideas related to traversing the map.
I find myself slightly frustrated with how long it takes to go where I want. Half the time I forget to bring the right HM pokemon. I think it woul dbe more fun if I could log on and do the things I want without spending too much time running through huge maps, with directions on one screen and pmu on the other.

I think one way to improve this experience is to beef up the fly map.

I think there should be more fly spots overall, but I also think it might be interesting to add unlockable fly-spots for dungeons you’ve already cleared that would plop you down right by them.

Another option would be to implement something like the wonder map from explorers of sky, where you can go to some spot (maybe in towns) and fast-travel to dungeons you´ve unlocked (maybe only ones youve already beaten once). It could either put you right outside or take you directly into the dungeon (may be useful for dungeons which are through other dungeons).

I’d love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on this!

I like the idea for having more hotspots if it’s even possible. Like say to southeastern isle of archford or the west side of archford, or near northwestern tanren, etc

Direct to dungeon though… spawn points are a thing usually purchasable with poke. But… I don’t think any direct universal fast travel can be possible balance wise even if it’s possible code wise

People have highly optimized ways of spamming dungeons for boxes, money, and/or shiny hunting Pokemon. Being able to bounce to a dungeon whenever you want and not have to trek there or near there to change the spawn point would probably drop item and shiny values severely. It would likely take a lot of work to counterbalance every item/box/poke/recruit to have direct travel as a feature - even it’s just to completed dungeons, ppl run places like mt moon and dynamo sands and more over and over for additional reasons

As for your travel issue… I’m gonna be a bit blunt and say that many of us have played this way for years… it’s kinda something you get used to? When you don’t need an HM user that you can’t swap out before entering a dungeon, you could also put U-turn or Volt Switch on a pokemon to jump between blocked tiles. I use this every time I need to evolve something lol

2 Likes

I personally think adding fly spots to existing subregions/towns would be a great idea. Namely, Frigid Heights, Tanren Undercity, the Archford island towns, ect.

Beyond that, I don’t think travel needs to be optimized any further beyond adjustment of the HM system. Honestly it doesn’t take very long to get between dungeons, and in general I think the map traversal is one of PMU;s unique systems that helps it to stand out, and I would hate for all of the great map details to be waylaid in favor of dungeon teleporting.

3 Likes

Honestly now I just want a fly point in undercity so the game either has to explain that or ignore it like it’s normal.

But yeah, I’d agree the only addition of fast travel I’d want added outside of maybe more rest spots, are more fly zones for general regions. And even that’s just what I wouldn’t be actively against, cause I wouldn’t be a fan of instant dungeon access, even if it’s only a few steps less than some rest spots we have now.

1 Like

Honestly I always thought that for TU a fly spot could just be explained by a hole in the ceiling or something.

1 Like

add a giant hole somewhere on tanrens surface, problem solved

2 Likes