Foggy Rock and Electric-type Moves

Cloudy Rock does not decrease the power of moves that aren’t Normal-type, while I’ve been Informed by Netami that Foggy Rock will decrease the power of Electric-type moves. And It should be changed not to. Even though he told me, I still checked myself because I’m paranoid of looking like an Idiot which I am but:
Here, I have Banette using Thunderbolt. I use It three times without holding a Foggy Rock and three times holding It. This doesn’t seem very fair. If Cloudy Rock doesn’t cut move power, I don’t see why Foggy should. It hinders move coverage for the unfortunate Pokemon stuck with fog as their Gem and Crystal weather. Also, Is It not supposed to depend on what the enemy Pokemon Is In? For that to only apply to using Blizzard In hail or Thunder/Hurricane In rain seems pretty unfair too.

For comparison, here’s me using Bullet Seed with Cinccino.
Once again, 3 times without and 3 times with. It coincidentally did a little bit more while using It. And with that, holding a Foggy Rock really shouldn’t reduce the power of Electric-type moves. I use Gengar In Starlit Lagoon and I always wondered why Thunderbolt wouldn’t OHKO Water-types even with Its crazy Special Attack PLUS Choice Specs. Again, It really just hurts people trying to train Pokemon who need foggy weather for their Gem or Crystal.

Oh wow, this whole time I didn’t realize the Foggy Rock cut the power of electric-type moves. That should definitely be changed.

3 Likes

Deleca for president woooooooooooooooooo but ye those kinds of things would be useful changes for once :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

No, that’s the actual effect of foggy weather and it’s good that it works (even though it debuffs some mons, this is how it’s supposed to work). What should change is cloudy weather not working. Perhaps programmers should look into it.

1 Like

I guess that makes sense, especially considering all types except one get cut In power as opposed to only Electric for fog. But again, having one cut power, while the other one doesn’t, I still think unfair.

Consider this too, It’s Inconsistent. The weather Is either actually “there” for you or Its not. Now, If It was made so all rocks didn’t affect your own moves or did, some rocks are getting debuffed either way. But my original suggestion was to only remove the penalty from the Foggy Rock.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure if damage calculation should count the attacker or the defender’s weather. This is super confusing to begin with and makes little sense imho. In any case, I think this is the way this weather was intended to work. So while I do want to see new weather conditions changing (e.g. diamond dust or ashes), I think the original weather conditions should remain as close to the original as possible.

1 Like

I’m bumping this because I would like more opinions. I genuinely think this should be discussed more.

1 Like

Ideally, I’d like to see gems and crystals just decoupled from weather mechanics whenever they get rebalanced, but as a stopgap I wouldn’t be opposed to the foggy rock receiving the same manual adjustment the cloudy rock did for its damage reduction.

Several months late, I apologize. But from what I remember being told by Kirk, the cloudy rock was made to not replicate cloudy weather’s actual move weakening effects on purpose.

1 Like

?
I don’t really see why you would want this. Does anyone actually have a problem with Gems/Crystals being tied to weather besides when you’re In a dungeon with weather Ability Pokemon and you’re not using sandstorm, rain, hail, or sun? If you’re trying to make It so Gems are less necessary then why would Gems themselves be altered? Seriously enlighten me pls

1 Like

I’ll refrain from going too into depth, as it probably deserves its own thread later.

But ideally, if gems/crystals are looked at and subsequently nerfed in some way later down the line–which I think is likely to happen at some point–I’d like to see them decoupled from weather as a concession.

That said, as far as the actual topic of this thread is concerned, as I said above I’m all for it. Even more so if gems/crystals aren’t ultimately adjusted later down the line.

1 Like

id say they are fine now just would be nice to not get reduced damage on some weathers :umbreshrug:

1 Like

Indeed, I feel Foggy weather increases enemies defenses unfairly. You can notice that at Mt Moon most.

1 Like