Gummi System

In status-quo, gummis currently have an exclusively temporary and dungeon-related effect where they fill belly (based on type matching effectiveness) and do players favors such as give them abilities such as walking through walls, super speed, exposing all traps, warping them next to stairs, and others that may prove to be of critical usefulness (especially for level-set and no-items-allowed dungeons such as holiday caves and event dungeons). I hoped that by introducing some limited functionality at first, I would eventually get around to completing the entire Gummi System. Anyways, I am no longer a programmer on the team and would like to share ideas that were originally planned:

Gummi System
Implement IQ variable for each recruit in client’s assembly and current party with a default value of 0 and a maximum possible value of 1000.

Consuming a Gummi leads to an increase in IQ points as follows:

At each 50 point increment, a random stat is boosted 3 points. This effect is similar to consuming gummis in friend areas.

At each 100 point increment, a chosen stat is boosted by 2 points.Using a focused approach for a specific stat (for example sp.atk on Alakazam) will yield a 20 point (2 * 10) increment at maximum capacity. For example, upon reaching any multiple of 100 IQ points, a pop-up can appear which reads: ‘Alakazam’s body is surging with newfound strength and mindfulness. How will you expend these IQ points?’ with a list of stats for the client to choose from.

Low (incredibly rare) chance of an ’ explosive effect’ where HP stat goes up by 5 points. The same effect may be achieved by an INCREDIBLY rare (new) item: rainbow gummi.

Conclusion
Many of us are aware of how stat changes were exploited in PMU6 so the point of this suggestion is not to have overpowered monsters wreaking havoc in the overworld, but to add more purpose and utility to an existing mechanic by paying tribute to the original games. I have not included mention of rare qualities such as those in the original games because those will be slightly more complex to implement and we can save them for a later time. Even if this suggestion is considered, that would mean PMU has one more interesting aspect that makes standard gameplay more incentivised.

I’m not particularly keen on any form of infinite scaling myself, given the potential it has to throw any attempts at balancing endgame content for a loop.

On rare qualities, if we really have to buff gummis (which I don’t think we do; you did a really good job in making them a nice supplementary system as-is) the rare qualities route might actually be better for the game long-term, as that at least limits a given 'mon to 1 at a time rather than opening pandora’s box of infinite scaling.

I’m not sure if this suggestion was aimed to be an infinite scaling mechanic given OP mentioned a max of 1000 IQ. That said, I do think there’s potential in the idea, it would just have to be carefully tested and balanced - of course we don’t want any game breaking/impossible balance hoops in the game. But I do really like the notion of having options to personalize and optimize your Pokémon in a way that you want to play.

My bad.

In that case, I do still have some concerns about power creep, as well as the RNG-heavy components of the proposed system, but if the RNG-reliant stuff is ironed out and the game’s balancing is ready and able to be altered to fit the endgame power spike, then I’m all for the idea.

Surprisingly, I actually really like the idea. Sure Gummi’s are somewhat helpful the way they are currently, but the main purpose they serve really is to fill belly. At least it is for me. Warping to the stairs or walking through walls are more of a bonus that I don’t really need most of the time.

Maybe I like this idea because of the fact I enjoyed the gummi system on the original PMD games, and I know the increase in stats would as other people state, would / could be game breaking for late game dungeons. But to further comment and give my own opinion on what Syni said; obviously it would have to be worked in a way to make it as balanced as it can be. But I also love the thought of having the possibility to customize and edit our Pokemon more than we can and something that I feel would be a huge stepping stone especially now that the growth of the game is going off the charts. (Seriously nearly 200 people online? I was shocked when I first saw this when I logged in today, haha).

So to alliterate; I love the idea but also not disclosing the fact it would be broken in aspects like stat increases unless we can find a way to make it balanced. Obviously if there was other ideas to give better skills or whatever from them, that would be awesome too. But being able to optimize our Pokemon would be sooo great.

In terms of the bare principles of the system, I think it’s a really neat idea. It offers a way of incorporating the IQ system in a way that’s more true to the original games.

The issue I see here is implementation. Typically the difficulty system in an MMO should have interplay - the players gets stronger but the challenges get stronger to combat it.

What would be the best way of introducing a level of difficulty that addresses the buffs provided without just simply buffing the stats on enemies? Is there a meaningful way to introduce a new mechanic and a matching mechanic on the enemy to try and keep the challenges coming later on? Maybe the specific skills granted by the IQ should have associated drawbacks beyond opportunity cost that specific later dungeons can address? Or perhaps there’s some other way to move on from there.

I’m mostly spitballing here but I like the idea of an IQ counter in general.