High Level Dungeon Drought

I’m making this topic to talk about high level dungeons, training and the like. @Netami Is the one who Initially brought It up so this Is mostly on his behalf. As known heavily, he currently has the most level 100s In PMU therefore his opinions about training are superior /s ( sorta ). He expressed how he felt tired of doing the same dungeons all the time, and that things were basically getting stale. Netami specifically mentioned Starlit Lagoon, Mysterious Jungle, Dragon’s Descent and occasionally Dynamo Sands. I’m more often than not training alongside him, so I’ve had room to feel the same way.

Now, you epic gamer, you’re probably thinking, “there’s more late/end game dungeons than those 4, you absolute disgrace of a PMU player”. Yes that’s true, but those are the ones we end up running the most, as we ( and most people tbh ) have deemed them the best for training. “What’s wrong with the others”? Let me explain, using Mt. Moon as a reference.

Before Mt. Moon got revamped, you could see people hosting training runs there all the time. Although I rarely trained there, I ran It A LOT, and Netami had a lot of good things to say about It. Some of his words I’m pretty sure, we had this convo a while ago were that you were guaranteed to get more than one level there In the 90s–because spoiler alert you won’t get more than 1 level If you’re 90+, unless you have honey and/or get lucky with Monster Houses usually. It was definitely hard, but It also gave amazing experience at the same time, which Is the exact thing you want to see In a dungeon training wise, so that It doesn’t feel like training was “easy” and that fighting the rough enemies paid off. So the problem here Is lack of actual hard dungeons that give exp like that. Dynamo, DDD and to an extent DD Itself are basically all we have In that era. The other “end game” dungeons are good for training but that’s because that’s all we really have. Starlit, MJ, IV, Iceberg Adrift, these dungeons, they are dungeons Pokemon In 60s can do, specifically If you’re bringing all of your boosting Items and whatnot. Honorable mentions are Voltaic Rainforest which personally I don’t think Is great past high 70s. The fact we haven’t been getting very high level dungeons at all recently Is part of the Issue. I know that Ash Forest and Ashen Graveyard are dungeons we got this year that are fairly high especially for Exbel, except they’re not good for training at all. You’ll probably have a much better time training In any of the aforementioned dungeons than there.

And I kind of think that this Is less two people maybe being biased and more something that should really be worked on In the future, as at some point training Is the main or only thing of Interest that you can do, If you’re not someone who does things like contribute via making sprites or other things. And most of the playerbase consists of end game players anyway. People complain that “we need more Skylift alternatives”, but the thing with low level training Is that It goes by much quicker than high level training, so you have more selections of dungeons In my onion. If you’re high leveled It’s pick the dungeon that’s best for your type and keep doing It until you get to 100, or maybe go to that other good training dungeon, but In the end there’s only a few so you’re doing the same ones until you get to 100 anyway, and It can get old fast.

That’s all I could think of saying. He really wants his voice heard about this because again, he has the most 100s, you better believe It gets dull sometimes when there’s no diversity. He especially has been feeling this way recently, so I thought now was a good time I get this post out. My opinion may suck but I just said what I felt.

11 Likes

I agree with this. There are no incentives to return to the other dungeons once you beat it for the first time.

• Hardly no one trains there in a party, let alone solo except to level up the mon to reach the higher tier dungeons.
  • Poke usually pays out chump change. Even combine it with the junk you sell the Kecleon’s shop.
  • Reward incentives. There is hardly nothing good in most dungeons and missions below 1 star tend to pay out lame stuff that people would drop in Grassroot.

Even training my almost 90 flying type, i find myself having to run DD solo multiple times because it’s the best place i know of that pays out good if i don’t die before defeating first enemy.

Mystery Eggs? Sure. Except for those rare hatches that seem to take 1,000+ eggs to get to.

Double XP doesn’t come around often. It does help those lesser dungeons, but its limited time.

2 Likes

um
Well, I don’t know what a lot of that has to do with my points. I’m not talking about there not being a reason to go back to dungeons–there certainly Is for some In terms of training depending on the level you’re using–I’m saying that there needs to be more, better, and harder dungeons for training In high levels, even more so because new dungeons as of late have been for lower levels and/or not made with training In mind.

Hardly no one trains there in a party, let alone solo except to level up the mon to reach the higher tier dungeons.

What dungeon are you referring to by “there”? And I don’t see the problem with going back to a specific dungeon to train something, that’s a good thing since It’s being ran at all. Verdure Bluff for example doesn’t have much special going for It except for Chespin and Bunnelby, and once you get those the occasional Rock Slide, but the exp there Is great for high 40s to 50s.

Poke usually pays out chump change. Even combine it with the junk you sell the Kecleon’s shop.

Reward incentives. There is hardly nothing good in most dungeons and missions below 1 star tend to pay out lame stuff that people would drop in Grassroot.

I’m not sure how to respond to these because they don’t have anything to do with my post really and I again don’t know what exactly you’re referring to… like I said I’m talking about training dungeons In particular. None of the current dungeons need to be changed, at least that’s not what I’m Implying.

Even training my almost 90 flying type, i find myself having to run DD solo multiple times because it’s the best place i know of that pays out good if i don’t die before defeating first enemy.

You can train where you want to but I don’t see why you aren’t going to a place like MJ where you have clear advantage. O_O Yeah DD has more exp than most of the other dungeons I’ve mentioned but you’re still getting 1 level If you manage to make It all the way w/o honey or Monster Houses so you might as well do MJ which Is probably easier for a Flying-type and still has exp good enough to where you’ll get 1 level. It’s not like we only do DS or DD because they have the best exp ( because not every type or Pokemon can handle those ), It’s not that the current late game dungeons for training are bad per se, they just aren’t that “late game”, so we need more end game dungeons centered around very high level training for more freshness, progression, and challenge.

“”“”““Bad””“”“” payouts for high levels ( mainly 90s and sorta 80s ) Is what I’m trying to point out. If things 30 or 20 levels below can do the dungeon you’re taking your soon to be 100, wouldn’t you feel like there could be somewhere stronger and better for It?

Unrelated to the reply I’m responding to but I also want to mention that a training dungeon, If one of the Intents of Its existence Is to be good for training, should not have any or a lot of unevolved Pokemon or Pokemon with low exp yields, ESPECIALLY If you can’t even recruit them. I’m looking at you, Tepig In IV. :nosnacc:
Keeping recruits as eggs Is the Ideal option.

4 Likes

I’m no where near the high levels, but if you think of it, yeah. There is a severe shortage in high level dungeons. This is all I have to say but yeah xD

2 Likes

Your post didn’t exactly have a tl;dr version that was short and sweet but still got your points across.

My first point is about training in a party of 2 to 4. How often do you see people wanting to do Pebble, Jailbreak, or even Gritty Hollow together? While i’m in game, i hardly see any training messages go out that aren’t for SF, MJ, or some other top tier place.

My second point has to deal with earning poke. Unless you are among the top players that can grind places that pay out 200+ per coin, some of us have to rely on what crap we have left after a defeat (leppa berry, apple, ether, ect). We aren’t exactly picking up fossils at the end of the dungeon.

My third point has to deal with the reward incentives. Besides self training and missions, what is making you do those lower level missions for Thunderstorm Forest?

I don’t know if i said this but there is a huge level gap. If a list was shown with the level ranges and the places that cover it. We would see below 50 being favored while above that doesn’t have much. And yes, designers can add as many dungeons as they please. But will that be the solution to fill the gaps?

1 Like

Your post didn’t exactly have a tl;dr version that was short and sweet but still got your points across.

Sorry I guess, but I had a lot to say. I don’t think I should need to make one, If you don’t read the full post someone makes how can you respond efficiently?

My first point is about training in a party of 2 to 4. How often do you see people wanting to do Pebble, Jailbreak, or even Gritty Hollow together? While i’m in game, i hardly see any training messages go out that aren’t for SF, MJ, or some other top tier place.

Not very often for the 3 you mentioned. Pebble Cave Is Pebble Cave lol. It’s so easy, I don’t see why people would do a party run for It. Not to mention there’s better places for the levels that would do best In the ones you mentioned. Jailbreak and Gritty Hollow aren’t even that good for training. I am someone who has trained In Gritty Hollow a few times. Jailbreak sucks, we all know It. The chance that there’s a small group of friends doing dungeons like those together without getting Involved with other players yet Is also possible. Although this Is one dungeon, Skylift Is decently low and party runs happen there ALL the time. Remember to take note that

People are most likely Exp. Alling their Pokemon that would be low enough to benefit from those dungeons. Seafoam Cove Is probably the best dungeons for level 1s might I add. You can get to level 20 with 1 run. PC, JB and GH are just obsolete. It’s not their fault, but that’s how It Is. Once again, this topic Is about T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G, not about how people don’t go to X dungeon much.

My second point has to deal with earning poke. Unless you are among the top players that can grind places that pay out 200+ per coin, some of us have to rely on what crap we have left after a defeat (leppa berry, apple, ether, ect). We aren’t exactly picking up fossils at the end of the dungeon.

I know that’s what your point was but that doesn’t mean It was at all related to what my points were. Firstly 200 Poke Is like…not even that much… DD and CCH are dungeons that go up to 1000 In Poke spawns. People do not make their Poke solely off of Poke spawns In dungeons. There Is also one (1) dungeon that Isn’t TC that has a Fossil In the end box ( DD ). Meanwhile there’s In-dungeon Fossils In Skylift and Crystal Castle, level 30 places. Like I mentioned In both my post and my first reply to you, the “top-tier” places you speak of you can do at level 60 If you aren’t bad at the game ( level 70 Is about the minimum for DS and DD/DDD If you don’t want to have a hard time ). MJ has a fair number of sellable Items you can find, Starlit has evo stones In the walls, Stardusts, and good end boxes If you’re lucky, CCH has a ton of valuable Items you can find hidden and Nuggets. Rocky Shoreline Is a level 40-50 dungeon that could get you 30k+ every run before It got nerfed, probably the lowest level “money grinding” spot that was good. Also, the end boxes of low floor routes of TC can have relic Items ( example: Fire B28F Relic Vase or Flying B34F Relic Band). I know that’s really luck based, but I’m just sayin’.

My third point has to deal with the reward incentives. Besides self training and missions, what is making you do those lower level missions for Thunderstorm Forest?

Again I understood your point but It was not related to my post In the slightest. If you’re a late game player, nothing Is. But an early game player or someone new would absolutely make use out of the missions they can get. If a late game player has one on their board, they can pass It to someone who could make use out of It. There’s the people who are desperate for missions when close to their next rank and those people who do every available mission on their board for some reason too. What Is the Issue here.

I don’t know if i said this but there is a huge level gap. If a list was shown with the level ranges and the places that cover it. We would see below 50 being favored while above that doesn’t have much.

https://pokemonmysteryuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Good_Training_Locations

Not really In my onion. There’s essentially the same amount of dungeons for that range and the ranges below ( that are actually good ). Also, do you notice a pattern? How the dungeons for 71-80 are the same from there? One could call It bias, since I altered a lot of the dungeons for all the level ranges, but keep In mind It was all from actual personal experience and taking note of where other people took their Pokemon, and what they had to say. If there’s a poor soul who doesn’t see a dungeon they found good for training In a certain spot, they are free to add It or describe how It was good. If you’re 90, there’s no “best dungeon” exp-wise unless you can do DS with what you’re using, except maybe SF since It has the most floors and Isn’t TC so you can bring your exp boosting Item. You literally just have to grind and grind 1 level per run until you get to 100.

And yes, designers can add as many dungeons as they please. But will that be the solution to fill the gaps?

Well, yes. If they don’t make dungeons centered around training the level range, no. But If they do and the dungeons are made well, certainly.

Another side note: IV Is good for training. Netami and I definitely do go there for our high Water-types. But not that often because Drought Is tedious, and Netami has no problem taking his Water-types to Starlit either, so we don’t do It enough for It to be one of the dungeons he mentioned being tired of. And while I said SF can basically carry the most exp due to Its amount of floors, we only really go there when we need mission space, as It’s very draining to go through for that exact reason.

3 Likes

Regardless if it’s Pebble Cave or Cryptic Chasm. The point was that they aren’t used for consistent party runs, if there are even any, whether they are easy or not. For that list, it breaks down into:

• 1-10: 3
  • 11-20: 5
  • 21-30: 4
  • 31-40: 6
  • 41-50: 8
  • 51-60: 8
  • 61-70: 9
  • 71-80: 9
  • 81-90: 8
  • 91-100: 8

As for Exp All. Must be nice having one.
DD & CCH are places i can train, but not do a full run.

1 Like

Regardless if it’s Pebble Cave or Cryptic Chasm. The point was that they aren’t used for consistent party runs, if there are even any, whether they are easy or not.

Sure but what does that have to do with anything I was talking about In the Initial post?

About the break down, you can see that 50+ actually have more dungeons
“So why are you complaining” they still aren’t high level lol.

As for Exp All. Must be nice having one.

If you don’t have one I guess that sucks, but It also doesn’t make my point any less true. For certain types, I do believe training level 30 below can be pretty difficult, like Ground, especially If you can’t evolve the thing you’re using yet and are trying to. But we aren’t talking about low level dungeons. I’m not against there being more good low level training spots for those obscure types, but It would be fantastic If you could take your high leveled Pokemon to a dungeon It wasn’t doing when It was so many levels lower.

DD & CCH are places i can train, but not do a full run.

Why exactly? And I again ask why you aren’t doing MJ? I have a hard time understanding how you have so much trouble using a level 90. You can try training something else that would be efficient for those dungeons. I understand If not having Gems/Crystals Is part of the trouble you’re having, but literally all It takes Is a move that heals your team of status. Crystals don’t exactly make things less difficult, and Globes aren’t usually needed If you’re taking your Pokemon to a dungeon that Isn’t full of the type they’re bad against. The most you’ll need a Sky Globe for In MJ Is Zap Cannon Forretress. Besides, I wasn’t Implying you should go there. I was Implying 200+ Poke pick ups Isn’t as much as you think.

If you want to go on about this you should probably make your own topic. I’m not trying to be rude but genuinely you are talking about stuff that Is completely Irrelevant to what I’ve been saying. I get It, early game problems, but this Is about late game stuff, okay?

3 Likes

I’m not really sure what else to add, given that Del has covered most of the points I would’ve brought up myself (gotta love it when you’re so unconfident that you ask someone else to write a post like this for you even though you have your own forums account XD), but I guess I’ll just reiterate some stuff. I might just be biased as someone who has trained a ridiculously high number of 'mons, but I think that if the state of high-level training is such that you’re running the same dungeon for 30+ levels with the same 'mon, there’s a problem.

Part of it is that, again, there’s like 7 dungeons total that are actually good for levels 80+ (and to a lesser extent 70+), and even then half of them aren’t that appealing for various reasons; Drought 'mons can spawn on every single floor of IV, Dynamo has the same thing but with Sand Stream and runs can last MUCH longer because of the Labyrinth, and SF is also a very long dungeon, and if you choose the Fire or Ice paths, weather abilities are present there too. (I don’t really run post-revamp Mt. Moon much at all, so I wouldn’t be able to say much about it, but the few times I did run it for training I felt like my time would’ve been better spent training elsewhere.) Now, I’m not saying that the weather-altering abilities should be removed from those places or anything, just that they make runs of those dungeons go a bit less smoothly, and I know I don’t exactly want to regularly stop fighting to change the weather to something that matches whatever 'mon I’m using when I’m doing a training run. Having more level 70+ dungeons of different types would help with this problem, as running the same few dungeons all the time eventually gets boring.

More places geared more towards the absolute highest levels (i.e. 85+) would also help break up the monotony. The old Mt. Moon was great, at least in my extremely biased opinion, because while you had to get to a really high level to make much of a dent in the enemies there, especially on the higher floors, it rewarded you for doing so by having a higher EXP payout than pretty much any other dungeon in the game. I’d love to see more dungeons like that. And yes, I’m aware that DS can give lots of EXP as well, and its last 20 floors even have enemies that are in the level 90+ range, but getting a good run of the labyrinth, which is where most of a given DS run’s EXP is, is such a huge time commitment that it just feels kinda inefficient, and many of the 'mons on even the highest floors of DS don’t exactly have the greatest base EXP yields.

I guess, in summary, training higher levels at the moment gets really dull really fast, and I think that would be much less of an issue if we had a wider variety of lategame dungeons, especially in the level ~85+ range. It might just sound like I’m whining here, but this is just my take on things.

EDIT: There are still plenty of legendaries that aren’t bosses anywhere at the moment, so there are plenty of dungeons that could be made around those 'mons. Dunno how relevant this is, but maybe it’ll give you guys some ideas?

3 Likes

Overtime PMU will have more 85+ level dungeons. Although the only dungeons released this year were low level ones (Ash Forest and Archipelago) there’s a decent chunk of 60+ level dungeons. Back in 2013/2014(yrs might be off) the highest level dungeon in the game was only around level 40 and you can imagine how dull it must have been spamming only Mt Barricade, Southern Sea, Mt. Skylift to get to lv 100. Now as the years have gone by, we have all of these better dungeons. I know the staff count is low right now but hopefully the trend continues. (Prism Isle is coming soon)

1 Like

You mean last year /shot
DS Is one of the ( 2 ) really high leveled dungeons we have and It was released In 2019. That’s recent, but also why do we only have 2 at this point.
We will get them overtime yes as DS has proved, but every dungeon aside from DS that has been released In 2019 has not been for the high level ranges, and that goes for every other past year since we still only have 2. I guess this post Is more of a reminder for staff that high levels need love too.
I see your point with this being a problem but for mid levels In the past, but In the present I think we have enough–for now–good mid dungeons. I repeat that the end game dungeons we have are not end game enough since 60s can regularly ( without having to use an OP mon, or do cheesy stuff like boost stats ) do them.

3 Likes