Joy, Excite, and Vivid Scent

So, there was an alternative idea I had from the suggestion Can we get rid of ID-based spawns? which I wanted to expand on.

When I was looking through the item list to get some ideas for the name of an item to attract ID Pokémon, I came across the Joy Scent, Excite Scent, and Vivid Scent from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. I was looking at these and thinking about how these items could be names for some consumable items for PMU.

• Joy Scent - Increases EXP by 1.10x/1.15x for a dungeon run.
  • Excite Scent - Increases RR by +5% for a dungeon run.
  • Vivid Scent - Attracts ID Pokémon (and maybe SR Pokémon) for a dungeon run.

Functionally, you can use this consumable item before (or in) a dungeon that will stay with you through the dungeon run. It would be an interesting mid-game or end-game consumable that could be pretty valuable for explorations. The only catch is that only one of these scents can be used at a time. If you use another scent, it will replace the current scent being used.

What do you guys think? Would this be an interesting item to have? Or would it be too game-breaking if combined with other Held Items? Share your thoughts below!

Hm… as great as that joy scent seems… maybe nerf it a bit to only 10% more exp? i really like the idea for these, so i don’t want them all to be like… mega expensive items. :c

1 Like

Well, consider this at the beginning, We had inviting orb, but sadly only worked on the floor is used, not like the canonical games that does in the WHOLE dungeon.

Also, I don’t think ID pokemon is making problems or being a mess. In contrary, it improves the way of cooperation between players, it’s like the perfect reason to go to a run to get something you can get, like canonical series, certain pokemon spawns where the counter part doesn’t, and you have to cooperate with someone who has the opposite version to trade it and get it. Also, if vivid scent is a thing, it’ll quite make honey uses quite useless.

Also, one thing about this items or one run dungeon items are like a double-edge sword, yes, it can help you with a little boost, but, it can also end terrible if the run goes wrong or something unexpected can happen (Lots of examples apply there). This items it has to be a 100% confidence choice to use and that’d be quite frustrating for the user if the negative event triggers.

At the end, I think the main items are quite enough already to cover this utilities, or maybe, it can be plausible for HC Runs like Inviting Orb.

1 Like

I forgot the Inviting Orb got introduced recently. Anyway, Inviting Orb doesn’t do the whole dungeon in PMD:DX.

Inviting Orbs increase your chances of recruiting Pokemon on the floor you’re currently on.

It’s still a HC Exclusive at the moment though, but I’m curious if it will be put into other dungeons as well since it would be a good consumable item for certain dungeon runs. Just hopefully it’s not put in Friendship Forest. They desperately need to revamp that. Also, we really need to get the RR Increase of Inviting Orb for the Wiki…

In the games though, you could also use Wonder Mail codes to unlock these Pokémon within these dungeons, so it was more accessible even without other player’s cooperation. However, I do understand that PMU is supposed to be a MMO, so there should be a level of unity to bring people together. These are good points to make within the thread that I linked to before, so feel free to put those thoughts there as well!

I guess it’s not described that well in the original post. How I imagine Vivid Scent to work is that it makes the ID Pokémon rare spawns through the floors it would appear in. It wouldn’t just be “use and the Pokémon appear”. That would be a bit much.

However, there could also be another use where Vivid Scent brings in a Pokémon only exclusive to the scent. Instead of bringing in ID or SR Pokémon, it could have a chance to bring in Pokémon not native to the dungeon itself. It would be interesting, but it would be a lot more work than just having the chance of a SR or ID Pokémon.

That’s exactly the point of these items and why I say they would be mid-game to end-game. They’re supposed to be used with knowledge of the game so you know when and where to use it. It’s also supposed to have a risk because they are only usable for one dungeon run, so you have to consider your options carefully. It’s similar to PP Up/PP Max in the canonical games, where you have to consider “which moves should I power up?” or like the Ginseng in PMD1/2 where you have to consider “which… moves should I power up?”

… I didn’t mean to use items that powered up moves twice, but it explains my point. There’s a lot of things that are risky when doing runs of PMU, but players have managed to find ways to limit the risk. I think it would be nice to have a small boost with these type of runs where you are much more prepared for what’s to come.

True, these items may be a bit overpowered for normal play, so they could be put in HC. However, I still feel that PMU’s way too “Held/Party Item” reliant sometimes. It would be nice to have a bit of variety that isn’t “hold this item to train” or “hold this item to negate weather” or “hold this item to nullify traps”. Which I guess is a PMD thing as well, but it would be nice to have more MMO-type items that have lasting effects for a period of time in PMU.