Make Sun Ribbons Available Early Game

It’s a simple thing that I want. I’ve talked about it in Global chat before, but I want this put down so staff can come down and look at it whenever.

Players that pick Riolu as their starter are completely screwed if they want to get evolution items on their own and still use their starter. Why? Because the earliest they can even get the evolution item for their very first Pokemon requires them to have Rock Climb, a HM located in a dungeon that requires level 50 to somewhat reliably traverse, and a friend with ungodly amounts of patience.

Unfortunately that’s just the risk of starting with Riolu in my opinion. Lucario is a great Pokemon so it shouldn’t be too easy to get. It’s no different starting with it in other PMD Sky. Plus, the easiest way to get one is by asking somebody who has spare since a lot of people do which is what I see people do a lot anyway. Maybe 50+ to get a sun ribbon is a slight stretch but mid 40s is perfectly fine in my opinion.

1 Like

i think the general consensus for early game is below level 40, so would it it be too common to put it in a dungeon for lvl 30s? that’s typically the level range most newbies would fully evolve at anyway…

1 Like

To be fair, In PMD you can’t evolve until you literally beat the game. Evolving late Is sort of fitting, but I still agree. The earliest place to get Sun/Lunar Ribbon Is FF, then It’s way later-game dungeons or missions.

I find It funny how neither Sun Stone or Sun Ribbon can be found In Sunrise Temple’s end boxes when It would fit so well thematically. I know this topic Isn’t about Lunar Ribbons but that along with Sun Ribbons could also be put In the end box of the respective Dream Grove versions. Although for DG you still need to beat Tanren Mines, but people tend to ditch their starter for other Pokemon anyway. I think this Issue applies for all starters that evolve with an Item that’s not like Fire/Dawn Stone because those can both be found In Winden dungeons. People almost always just get their evo Item handed to them which Isn’t a bad thing, but It’d be better If new players could be more self-sufficient.

1 Like

In terms of PMD evolutions, you have to be lucky enough to find the Sun Ribbon is what I was getting at.

Although my apologies, I didn’t realise until now that the ‘earliest’ (And can you say easiest?) is FF. Yuck.
It is true that most Pokemon that evolve via stone items are easily obtainable but not all of them have to be. Maybe in a 40+ dungeon to find it? As Deleca said, Sunrise is probably the most obvious dungeon which should have it in, lol.

But I still feel we fall in the category of things being too easy for us without any challenge, but I digress - FF is an exception of a dungeon that I wouldn’t do for a Sun Ribbon. B)

1 Like

We should note that evolution in PMD also has a far less dramatic effect on base stats; PMU’s stat calculation is much closer to the core games than PMD.

1 Like

true, I don’t know what point I was trying to make actually. Maybe that It shouldn’t be too early I guess. High 40s or something at most since non-Items starters evolve Into their 30s like Ikia I said. Most of the starter evo Items are actually okay to obtain
I forget Shiny Stone Is a Jailbreak boss drop, probably because Jailbreak sucks ( and I think obtaining It should be more than a boss drop In a particularly easy dungeon ), Thunder Stones are In RS not counting TSF because I’ve never seen a Secret Room there In my life. Soothe Bells are still bad because gl getting a rare Secret Room In a 12 floor dungeon but It only appears on 6 floors anyway, and rooms tend to be small. So It’s basically just that, Sun Ribbons and Moon Stones that are a pain. I don’t think they should be so hard to obtain that they’re all either locked behind something that needs Rock Climb, TC, HT, or somewhere In Archford.

1 Like

i mean dont fighting types universally kinda suck, on top of lucarios fire and ground weaknesses? id hate to be stuck with riolu most of the game

seconded that sunrise temple sounds like a good spot. also helps people evolve like, roselia which is earlygame as well

2 Likes

Agreed unless Lucario gets family items which help take no damage from them move typings which is no differ from any other Pokemon, but not sure if that’s 100% what its family items do. With the tools we have in disposal it’s not difficult to make even baby Pokemon, or medicore fully evolved Pokemon strong and have type immunities. It’s usually based on their moveset. Lucario doesn’t have that bad of a moveset given that fighting types and I guess some steel types lack great aoe’s to grind with.

Not to mention there’s pleeeenty of other Pokemon in end game that are way worse than Lucario, haha. When it comes to rarity of Pokemon, whether they ‘suck’ or not, PMU is quite inconsistent in that regard. :p

Anywho to alliterate what I said before; if we were to change where Sun Ribbons can be found then Sunrise Temple is my pick.

2 Likes

Yeah, most people do tend to abandon their starters, but i’d really like it to be a choice that isn’t “oh if i can’t evolve until late what’s the point in training this” so… i’m really glad so many of you agree that Sun Ribbons should be easier to get – and even provided a place they could go!

i just… really want this game to be a lot less frustrating to newbies. A lot of them just… sadly, quit because the game’s so punishing while you’re still learning it

3 Likes

Yes, I do agree that Sun Ribbon should be available early on. Every other Pokemon either has to simply level up or get a item that is relatively easy to obtain (i.e Pikachu & getting a Thunderstone). Riolu sticks out as one of the harder ones to get and Riolu is a pretty lack luster Pokemon by itself. I don’t recall if Togepi is a starter anymore but at least with that one soothe bells were commonly held by other players & straight up just given away because of how horrible it is to have Togepi as a starter.

I think them being in a 30s or 40s dungeon would be the best case scenario.

I definitely agree with you about the game being less frustrating to newbies, IMO that is this game’s worst issue that still has yet to be resolved. It’s absolutely horrible to new players & overly punishing to them. No guidance on what to do, where to go, how to do it, nothing.

I don’t mind players being dropped into the world & given freedom but SOME form of guidance would be nice for these people. Everytime someone is new to the game and enters town they’re immediately swarmed by 3-4 nice people who want to be their guide. Though I’m getting off topic this should be reserved for another thread.

1 Like

Sun Ribbons are now obtainable in Sunrise Temple’s endboxes.

3 Likes