Making Dive functional in dungeons

While I understand logistically why the move Dive currently does not work unless you are standing in water, for PMU this makes the move relatively useless unless you are in specific underwater dungeons. This is why i’m making the suggestion to make it work normally, instead of circumstantial. Currently, in the mainline games, the move will work regardless of where the pokemon is using the move, while when used underwater the pokemon can only be hit by moves such as surf, whirlpool, and low kick. So maybe something similar can be done! It just makes very little sense to have a move to be used in such a specific circumstance that makes it virtually useless in typical dungeons.

4 Likes

Another option I can think of would be to give it an additional affect or a heavy increase in power. Therefore, the logic could be kept, but the move wouldn’t be as useless.

While this is a good idea, the problem is you can currently only use the move if you’re in a ditch off the main dungeon floor where there’s water, most people aren’t going to wait in the ditch for wild Pokémon to come to them even if it’s a powerful move(it’s already 80 base power!), and it makes having the move at all kinda pointless if you can’t use it everywhere :c

1 Like

bumping this! hoping a staff member sees it!

2 Likes

+1 for this idea.
I do like it :zoomtah:

2 Likes

bumping this again! its been awhile

Yes, I agree with this! The same could go for dig too.

Not being able to use these moves everywhere just makes them inferior to Fly and Phantom Force. I do think that Dig and Dive should deal less damage if used on a tile that isn’t the ground for dig, and not water for dive.

1 Like

how do you even… dive to the ground. Imo if dive was to work everywhere. I think that dive would have some effect similar to High Jump Kick, as you dive forward to attack people.

Okay hear me out now, cause this is gonna sound really dumb…mainly cause it is dumb.
What if we had a bucket item. Like just a really big bucket filled with water. And while you had this bucket on you, you could just…dive into the bucket. And lore wise you move around as your body is pushing into the side of the bucket with your normal movement

5 Likes

not dumb, but smart. +1 on that idea

in the mainline games currently dive works no matter the surface you’re on. while logistically i understand why the move was programmed as it is currently, it just doesnt work for a game like pmu. to be able to use the move at all you need to stand in a ditch in specific water dungeons to use the move, and then wait for pokemon to come to you to use it to attack as you can’t leave the water. its basically pointless as it is now!

1 Like

its been awhile, so im giving this another bump!

That feeling when that’s a carry over from one of the worst PMD moves…
Cause let’s be honest, it’s basically useless because you can only use it on water…
At least pmu gives it the HM treatment but I still think it should be usable in combat.

I guess some could argue that making it work on ground would make it inaccurrate to PMD or non-sensical, but who cares tbh.
Most moves differ from PMD due to the lack of turns on PMU, on top of mainline dive straight up working regardless of where you started the battle.

2 Likes

+1 to this idea. really wish dive was a usable option. it’s the worst semi invuln and for what reason? you get dig earlier than it and it’s better by a long shot. but unfortunately most water pokemon (what i presume is the majority of pokemon that can learn dive) cannot learn dig, and only can occasionally learn bounce.

1 Like