More In-depth Tutorial (Missions, game mechanics, etc.)

This is probably my first suggestion I’ve ever posted, but I just wanted to share some ideas I’ve been thinking about! So, I apologize if this seems messy or unorganized. ^^’

With the large amount of newer players recently, I’ve seen a lot of new people struggling to progress in the game or not knowing where to go. Because of that, I thought about some new features or NPCs that could be added to help aid new players. I had the idea to add a new building in Grassroot, or somewhere near the Crossroads, which would be quite similar to the Explorer’s Bazaar. Except it’s more similar to Wigglytuff’s Guild (from PMD2) or the Expedition Society (from PSMD).

Essentially, it could serve as an introduction to how you progress in the game - and provide more in-depth info about things like guilds and missions. Perhaps this could serve as a second part of the tutorial, guiding players to some early Exbel dungeons + rewarding them as they complete goals… For example, they could be rewarded with Poke or special items upon completing specific tasks, like; collecting HMs, clearing dungeons, achieving a certain rank, etc. There’s really not much that helps guide newbies, aside from older players giving pointers. That’s not really a big issue, but it seems like newer players have to rely on older players to really progress. Expanding on the tutorial or something of that nature would definitely help out a lot of people!

I had the idea of this building being owned by a team of explorers lead by Caspian (or some new NPC? I just think Caspian would be an interesting choice!). Inside, there would be multiple NPCs that explain things like guilds, dungeons, certain mechanics, and missions. I figured these NPCs could be ‘famous explorers’ who explored with Caspian/the leader in the past, hence why they would know so much about dungeons and the world. This could introduce small stories which prompt players to go to certain dungeons and explore Exbel! I feel like this would be a solid way to give a sense of direction/progression to help them start off. :]

May edit this again in the future, but I just wanted to share this and get to hear other people’s thoughts!

I like the premise of this idea and I can see us implementing something like it. Looking forward to reading further discussion/ideas expanding on it!

2 Likes

The real way to fix the tutorial is making it unskipable and excruciatingly slow. so people are bored out of thier mind and start reading cause they have nothing else to do, forcing them learn things they love to skip like “how to exit my house, how to read signs/talk to npcs, how do i use moves” :fwohohoho:

Also a new tab in the side bar, the explorer kit,
with some chat commands or general tips would be pretty neat, would work pretty well both gameplay wise and lore wise for it to be there :wigglyjoy:

1 Like

This isn’t intended to be a revision of the tutorial we currently have with Exbel Woods, but rather an extension of sorts? Think of it more as an early game guide that introduces the player to the world whilst giving them the option to look around at whatever they want.

I’m mainly recommending a general concept that will encourage players to explore the world and give them rewards for doing so. There is not much guidance whatsoever in regards to guilds, missions, most mechanics and such work.

For example, you could have a “quest” to locate a secret room in any Exbel dungeon and you can receive Poke and some small amount of supplies for it.

Generally it would be nice to have something guiding you to progressing through the game although I understand there is a lack of a core storyline and cohesive structure. :')

2 Likes

I think the main problem is after the tutorial you’re just dropped into the world and not given much of any direction, adding a few starter quests to the quest board would probably be a good fix, have it take them through some beginner dungeons and give a bit more points than normal so doing all of them gets you bronze rank, I think having the last dungeon be sour root for cut would be a good idea too.

1 Like