Mystery Dungeon- What pokemon were you/How do you play?

I’ve been thinking lately about the first time I played Mystery Dungeon. Such fond memories :’)

So I thought I’d ask, what was the first Mystery Dungeon game you played? Which pokemon were you, and who was your partner? What were your favourite moments of the game?
I’m also curious to know how people play. I love hearing about people’s playing styles, and their strategies (or lack thereof :P). Do you recruit a lot of pokemon, or just a select few? Do you level them all, or recruit them just to catch 'em all? Do you name your team members? Do you take a heap of items into a dungeon, or take almost nothing and just use what you find? Do you go into dungeons with a strategy, or just wing it? I’d love to hear how you play :)

For me, I first played PMD Blue Rescue Team, as a charmander. My partner was a chikorita, who was named after a friend of mine a the time. I deleted the save a short time after I evolved though, because I regretted it. I didn’t like charmeleon’s sprite, and I felt like I’d “ruined” myself XD The second time I played, I was a bulbasaur, and had charmander as my partner. But I’ve played through as a few different pokemon now, and I usually stick to being an eevee, because that’s what the quiz gives me most often now. When I played Explorers of Time, I was a Mudkip first, and I think my partner was Chimchar. When I played the second time, I deliberately played as Treecko, because of Grovyle. My favourite part Blue Rescue Team would have to be when we returned to town after the whole thing with Ninetales. It’s just such a lovely moment. And Gengar. By the end of the game, I’d actually really begun to like him as a character.
The first time I played, I recruited every kind of pokemon I could, and named each one. But I never actually used them all that much. All but my favourites just sat there collecting dust most of the time. It annoyed me after a while. So now, I only recruit a small number of pokemon. My very favourites, or ones with sentimental value for whatever reason. And I don’t name them anymore, except maybe a couple. I try to limit what I bring into dungeons, just in case I find something cool along the way. And I almost never have a strategy. Unless that dungeon has royally kicked my tail every time I’ve tried it, in which case my only strategy is to run straight to the stairs without stopping to fight unless absolutely necessary. I don’t choose pokemon based on strength, I play only with my favourites. This also means I won’t evolve a pokemon if I prefer their unevolved form.

So anyway, how does everyone else play the games? I’d love to know :D

Hi, I am new but just wanted to talk about my favorite games!

I played Red Rescue team first, when it came out. I was only a young teen and I cried a lot. Since then I’ve played every game when it comes out (except the japan only wii one) and I cry at every ending, but to be honest now I kind of do it on purpose, this might sound weird but I actually look forward to the ending of a pmd game as being the only time I get to cry, because nothing else makes me cry for some reason.

But I usually get cubone during the quiz, so my first was cubone and totodile. I’m sad they took cubone out of the next games. I really wish they’d have more starters to pick from, Sandshrew and Larvitar would fit in well. I like to make up names for all them, so my cubone was Zango and totodile was Kiyer. (They dont mean anything, just like the sound of them a lot) I always name my smeargle Rebel Joe, after the one who refuses his pawprint. It makes me smile.

My preferred playstyle is to hoard useful items and poke. But I’m so stingy with them that by the end of the game I have like 50 of each and nothing to do with them… I only use my favorite pokemons, which is basically the ones I think are cute or pretty. Stats don’t matter to me, only cuteness factor :P I am in agreement with you on evolving too, only pair I like to evolve is skitty/eevee and phanpy.

Actually my favorite part of rescue team is when they are just about to leave on that journey and it plays the sad music. I like the sadness of it.

P.S. what do you name the absol in the first game? I actually don’t remember anymore what I named it, but its a main character kind of so I always named it.

I usually tear up a bit at the ends, too. It’s just so heartbreaking. :cry:
I get eevee most often for the quiz, but bulbasaur is a close second for me. Definitely agree that more starters are needed! Sandshrew would actually be a great addition, now that you mention it. And I totally get what you mean about hoarding items :joy: I do it too, because I’m paranoid that I’ll lose something, or not have it when I need it. But then when I need it, I don’t bring it because I’m paranoid I’ll need it again another time XD
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with going for the cute/pretty pokemon! They can be just as useful as the other ones :) Personally, I pick either the cutest, or the coolest. But then again, I think Muk is kinda cute, so I wouldn’t exactly trust my judgement.
That was a great moment of the game, too. So suspenseful as well. Even on the second playthrough, when you already know what’s going to happen, you can’t help but feel a bit sad. And maybe even a little…nervous? of what’s to come. It’s such an emotional moment. And Absol :D I named it Amber the first time I played. I can’t remember what I named it the second time, but I know it was one of the few pokemon that always got named.
Thank you for answering :D