Protection Moves ( And Endure Too Sorta )

Sorry If this Is considered a dupe of Protect. I’m not sure whether to reply there or make a new topic considering my thread Is centered around all protect moves ( that protect from damage ) as a whole.

Anywho, my trash post being a duplicate or not, I think there’s been a long standing problem In PMU; ‘protection moves’.

See: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Status_conditions_in_the_Mystery_Dungeon_series#Shield_status_conditions
Baneful Bunker Is not there for obvious reasons, and note that King’s Shield cannot be spammed as a protection move.

As you may or may not know, protect moves In PMU have absolutely no cooldown or chance to fail, allowing them to be spammed. Over. And over. And unless you have attack speed, a move that can bypass protection, or somehow just get lucky, the most you can do Is hope the AI uses a move other than protect or etc., depending on which protection move It Is.

The simple and most reasonable solution Is just adding a chance to fail per successful use like they should have. And maybe a Hyper Beam level cooldown. But It can also depend on If the move(s) Is based directly on how It functions In the actual PMD games or not. Parasect’s signature move Wide Guard, for example. In PMU the user gets 2 turns of protection while anyone else affected by It gets only 1. This and Quick Guard are also the only ones that aren’t supposed to be able to fail, so the most they should be given Is a cooldown. Also how Protect In PMD protects for two turns while In PMU It’s 1 ( fortunately, but I’m just pointing It out ).

The moves currently work like this—let me know If I actually got any of these effects wrong:
Protect | Detect | Spiky Shield | Baneful Bunker | Endure: No fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 1 hit
Wide Guard: No fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 1 hit ( 2 for user )
Quick Guard: No fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 1 hit
Endure: No fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 3 hits or until movement

But I think It’d be fair for the moves to respectively work like this:
Protect | Detect | Spiky Shield | Baneful Bunker | Endure: Fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 1 hit
Quick Guard | Wide Guard: No fail rate, slow cooldown, lasts 1 hit
Endure: Fail rate, normal cooldown, lasts 1 hit

4 Likes

del is the best! also this fix shouldve been made since the beginning tbh ;P

2 Likes

Would be nice to see these moves get some sort of cooldown at the very least. It can just be annoying trying to kill one Pokemon that constantly uses Protect or Endure over and over again.

1 Like