Punching Moves || Range

In my opinion, punching moves could use a range and general ‘area’ increase. Similar to Scald’s range, with Stone Edges’ concept (forgot the specific range terms) while remaining a single-targeted move.

Punches, logically speaking, can be aimed in any direction. Whether that be straight, or to the side. I believe this would increase the effectiveness of punching moves for PvE, and PvP purposes when it comes to landing a hit. This would also allow many mons to have more diverse movesets, as punches are a prime tutor move.

Effected Moves:
-Bullet Punch
-Comet Punch
-Dizzy Punch
-Drain Punch
-Dynamic Punch
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Mach Punch
-Mega Punch
-Meteor Mash
-Power-Up Punch
-Shadow Punch
-Thunder Punch

Let me know your thoughts on this matter.

3 Likes

I do agree that biting and punch moves have a very narrow range which limits their usability. In contrast, kicks and scratch moves have a spray range, which is a little weird compared to that.

I guess a meta reason is that we can’t have all moves have a wide range, some need to draw the short straw, but it would be nice to have punching moves being more usable.

2 Likes

That is a bit weird. I assume they were changed to improve their effectiveness, and provide reliable moves for certain mons.

Your reasoning is understandable. Not all moves can have a wide range, but it would certainly make punches more useful.

1 Like

a new interesting move type would be kinda of like a W shape instead of the typical spray
as in u have 1 spot diagonally left 1 spot diagonally right and straight before u but still single target which would still leave you with places you can not reach just like a punch is supposed to except with the difference of having a few extra places where a punch could it
added a terrible diagram but hopefully it helps people get the range :L
pmu%20punch%20idea

2 Likes

This is a very interesting idea. I like where you’re going with that.

2 Likes

Just to point out, all Punch and Bite moves used to be 1 Tile in front moves before they became 2 tile in front with a PP Boost.

We currently don’t have a way to add a custom range with out hardcoding one, the closest range type would be ‘Arc Throw’ But 1 tile Arcs only make much sense rather than 2 tile arcs.

3 Likes

I see. That’s understandable, but I hope they can be improved in the future.

2 Likes