Range in LoS multi-hit moves

what the title says lol

Screenshot_1
So, Rock Blast here has a 4-tile range. Lacking, but it can still be useful.
Meanwhile…
Screenshot_2
Spike Cannon has a massive advantage with 8 tiles, double compared to Rock Blast.
This isn’t a one-off oddity, either.
Screenshot_3
And now compared to another of its peers…
Screenshot_4

What’s the deal with these wildly different ranges on otherwise near-identical move copy pastes? Shouldn’t they all be standardized? As to which, I’d personally say around 5-6 tiles.

yeah this is real wierd, especially for pin missle and rock blast who aren’t 100% accuracy, pin missle is 95 , while rock blast being 90. they should really all get a standardized ranged like the fang and punch moves have.

i rember rock blast being a 2 tile arc before as i used it in pvp with cinccino,
so it seems staff decided to make it a LoS move like the rest for consistency? but only gave it 4 range,
maybe they where worried about jumping from 2 to 6 but… they did such a jump for stone edge when it changed from spray to arc, soo… :nessacringe:
rock moves could really use more love.
a 90 acc move only be given 4 range despite being 20 base power compared to other moves with also increased attack speed with 100 acc and 25 base power and more distribution? yikes.

I know I’ve memed about this a little bit (especially about rock moves just being worse ice moves), but this isn’t a specific thing to multi hit los, and there’s a specific reason for all of it. Normal gets special treatment cause it hits nothing super effective. Ice gets a lot of preferential treatment in its attacks cause its defensive typing is so miserable. Bug and rock are both bad defensive types generally, but nowhere close to as miserable as ice.

Then we have bug, which isn’t a terrible offensive type like normal, but also isn’t great, and isn’t a terrible defensive type like ice, but also isn’t great, so its moves are pretty solid. And finally, poor rock, with a not that bad defensive typing and a really good offensive typing, so suffering from success, it gets dog water moves

Obviously this isn’t a perfect comparison when you look at stuff like water types getting everything despite their great typing, and psychic getting garbage despite it…also having a type. But weirdly for bug, normal, ice and rock it follows this trend really well where ice and normal get great moves, bug gets alright moves and rock gets the scraps.