Remove the limitation on editing older forum posts

I understand in certain communities there may be concerns about this being abused, but assuming the edits are logged I don’t think we have so much traffic for that to be impossible to keep up with; I assume the edit lock is just a default setting?

Meanwhile, multiple times have I attempted to edit an older post rather than making a new, similar one–while at the same time it doesn’t merit being an editable by anyone wiki post.

Obviously I’m not familiar with the backend, and don’t know if it’s even possible to do so, but if the timed edit lock could be removed I and I’m sure many others would greatly appreciate it.

ha didiot

Anyway I agree. I’ve been meaning to make a general topic about feedback on the forums, which would Include my dislike of this limitation. But for Discourse In particular I’m not sure It can be changed because Andy mentioned In the Discord the limit depends on the trust level, which goes up to 7 days and then 2 months.

Sauce: Discord

2 Likes

It looks like in recent discourse updates the maximum cap for edits made by trust level 2 users has been raised. I’ve adjusted it accordingly and you should now be able to edit posts up to a year after posting. If the edit lock continues to be an issue past that point, we can consider removing it entirely but in most scenarios I imagine it won’t be a problem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.