Reusable Items to Substitute HMs for Easy Access to Dungeons for Grinding?

With the addition of Shinies, there is a need to reach dungeons easily that previously there wasn’t, and HMs play a large factor in the spamability of dungeons which upsets the distribution of shiny rarity, with easier to spam dungeons statistically more likely to have shinies with the same time spent spamming (Since rerun spamming seems to be a massively more effective method than honey spamming) and apposed to putting rest places literally everywhere, it seems like it would be a good idea to have an item that would substitute HMs so that an HM slave is not necessary. Now I am not at all saying we replace HMs, just simply add alternatives to save time after HMs have been acquired.

Possible ideas to implement said tools.

• Drops in dungeons where the HM is acquired
  • Vendors exclusively reachable with said HM (Ekop maybe? <3)
  • Event tokens
  • Taren Chamber Boxes (If you can beat Tanren chambers you likely can obtain any HM anyway)

I have multiple things to say concerning this.

• You can send your HM Pokemon back to the assembly at any time by going into your team menu.
  • Returning a Pokemon is fine and good when you are out recruiting as you need an open slot anyways, but when exp. all training you want to fill your party with Pokemon that need exp. To fill it with either a HM Pokemon or an empty slot is wasteful.
  • it is much easier to go into your bag and swap a Pokemon's hold item than it is to swap the whole Pokemon at an assembly.
  • If hold items are decided on they could easily replace the HMs all together, the hold item would be where the HMs are now, and HMs could be distributed same as normal TMs
  • When you press enter on a cut tree for example, it checks to see if your active Pokemon has the move required to activate the tree's event. The same can easily be done by having it check the Pokemon's hold item as well. It's just a small addition to the event script.
  • There would still be advantage to hunting down the HMs and giving them to a Pokemon in some cases. Take for example the trek to mt. StormHold. There are a very large amount of rock climb activations on the way, it would be much faster to use the move as you would when attacking than to press enter over and over.

Also I think HMs as a concept are outdated. HMs were introduced when Pokemon did not have either abilities or held items, they were a way of regulating the difficulty curve by using the limited systems of the generation 1 games. In this respect they have been outdated since generation 2 what with items like the squirtbottle acting as a way of removing a difficulty limiting event. (sudowoodo who blocked the way to the more difficult areas).

In short: I agree with the OP. HMs are inconvenient, outdated and should be replaced.

(edit: grammar)

2 Likes