Safety Goggles Effect Rework

Hello! I wanted to bring something up that I came across recently.

As someone who’s main Pokémon is Alolan Ninetales, trying to find workarounds to play with my friends under hail without inconveniencing them too much has been a pretty difficult task. It’s a very restrictive weather, so I’ve been searching for different methods of making the effects of the hail more bearable for my friends who aren’t using Ice types while also being able to support them with Aurora Veil, which hopefully would make up for the trouble.

One method I tried (and most likely everyone’s first choice) was the Weather Band—it keeps the holder from being under the effects of weather, though that also means that the holder is considered to be under “Clear” weather. So, even if my friends are holding the Weather Band, Aurora Veil would not apply to them.

However, I was recently shown the effects of the Safety Goggles:

“A held item that protects the holder from weather-related damage, from spore moves, and allows them to see items and enemies past the darkness.”

I felt pretty excited to try it out, as the wording for the first effects felt similar to the Overcoat ability. After obtaining some Ekop and purchasing a Safety Goggles, I tested it out in a dungeon under hail and unfortunately, Aurora Veil still did not affect my friend. After some asking around, we found out it was likely programmed similarly to the Weather Band, which makes the holder ignore the current weather. This, in turn, keeps the holder from receiving the Aurora Veil effect.

Despite its pricing, it seems that the Safety Goggles is more of an upgraded version of the Weather Band rather than its own item. Would there be a way to make the Safety Goggles effect of preventing weather damage and powder moves work the same way as the Overcoat ability? This would allow Aurora Veil to still affect anyone holding the item while being safe from the constant chip damage.

Thank you for reading, and have a good day!

it will also allow pokemon to beneficts from the additonal effect of weathers while not suffering the damage, which would allow some fun gameplay varity, like utilizing weather ball in sandstorm or normal types using boosted blizzard without suffering damage :wigglyjoy:

1 Like

As your friend, and someone who plays with you a lot, the chip damage really adds up and can create problems in the long run. Healing moves like life dew and grassy terrain are effective, but eat up a lot of pp. Thankfully i don’t have to suffer from this as much as our other friends since i own a Jynx, but it does make using other pokemon harder, and i’d never not want you to use your favorite pokemon anyways! I definitely think a fix to the saftey goggles is needed.

2 Likes

I used to use my own ice type Glaceon whenever someone else is using a hail setter. Other Pokémon I use are Pokémon that could take advantage of clear rock like Scolipede and Hydreigon. It would be pretty cool if my Hydreigon was able to get aurora veil boosts as well, though it doesn’t really need it and is still strong all around.

My play style is always making sure I have a way to keep my main runner’s crystals active all the time. 1x speed is sluggish to me, so I want to avoid it unless I can’t bring items in. So if someone brings a hail mon, I’ll opt for ice or a type that gets boosted by clear due to clear rock. I’m definitely not against aurora veil being able to effect all allies when the floor’s weather is hail, as I would like the veil boosts on my Bug and Dragon types, but not too urgently.

1 Like