Sandboxing - Why I think it needs to be disallowed

Sandboxing, multilogging… Whatever you want to call it, it is the act of bypassing PMU’s built-in mechanisms for preventing a second client from being opened on the same machine.

The topic has been brought up a few times on Discord, and to my knowledge, it has generally received responses along the lines of “it’s okay as long as you don’t go too crazy”, “It’s okay but don’t do it in events” or “I don’t like it but we can’t stop it.” Full disclosure, In hindsight I feel I went “too crazy.”

Preamble on my motivations and potential conflict of interests:

If you don’t already know, I’ve been one of the players to most heavily make use of multi-logging through sandboxing software, at least to my knowledge. I’ve both consistently dragged an alt with me through most dungeons I run, and I’ve also used it to quickly boost several alts in order to create house shops–as to not have to level each one slowly on its own.

I initially was skeptical about the legality of the practice when I first learned about it, only to be told it was supposedly okay–even after making a half-hearted attempt to argue why I thought it should probably be banned.

I subsequently started making use of sandboxing myself under the (in my hindsight-aided opinion, faulty) logic that “if it’s legal and the strongest option available to me, I should take it.” What I should have done was either to have conducted some light testing and then used it to prove my point, or doubled-down on my earlier reasoning for it warranting being disallowed. Instead, I gave up trying to make a case against it far too quickly, and went off to reap the rewards by indulging in it myself. It was a decision that put my own gains over the health of the game overall.

If staff want to talk about rolling stuff back (obviously including both my main account and the alts that were boosted) or otherwise work to counteract what I gained through sandboxing to multi-log, I do not object. It’s not exactly fair for me to have spent several months benefiting from this only to turn around and walk away scot-free after the practice is officially banned. It’s not likely to be easy to figure out how to handle, and I’m sorry about having helped create the problem in the first place.

Assuming you’ve read the above or just don’t care, let’s now talk about just how abusable I think controlling two or more characters can be.

There are a lot of things sandboxing enables you to do that may not be obvious at first glance. “What’s the point of controlling two characters and taking twice the time to do something for the same rewards as just doing it twice normally?” you might ask, but with a little creativity that extra time spent can be cut down massively.

In a vacuum, moves like Beat Up and Ally Switch (both of which can warp allied players to your current position, with a few minor differences between them) are neat utility options for the player, but they also pose a problem; they can be used to drag a second character controlled by the same player to the stairs in a dungeon–without having to manually spend the time to walk there.

This enables the following, all of which I have been able to do myself:
  • Doubling up on endboxes/secret room boxes with much less than double the time spent
  • Running Frisk without taking up a pokemon/item slot for treasure specs on your main team
  • Running Cloud Nine without having to fit it into your team
  • Running Honey Gather (and potentially stacking it)
  • Carrying twice as many items if the time is spent to rank the alt up to Master*
  • Bringing a backup team into dungeons like TC in case your main team is reduced to its leader (Why wouldn’t you just bring beat up on the alt, too?)
  • Training two pokemon at once by hiding the alt in a wall with a ghost/mobile scarf
  • Rescuing a defeated player whose guild you are not a part of, but the alt is
  • “Soloing” dungeons such as ATD (or even HT if you’re crazy enough to micro-manage three alts)
  • Other various shenanigans that would normally require two players coordinating, such as skill swapping unburden onto a sweet scent user to spawn Zorua from a monster house faster.

Sure, you can individually ban any of the above–as has been done with bringing multiple characters to events for extra tokens–but why apply multiple band-aid solutions to allow something the game already tries to prevent by design, and that requires external software to do in the first place? (The same logic applies to nerfing beat up/ally switch instead of banning sandboxing, which are perfectly fine on their own IMO) In literally any other game I know, this would be considered cheating. If we want multi-logging as a feature, then the game shouldn’t try to block it.

There are a few “harmless” uses for sandboxing–such as testing some bugs that require two players, and more easily moving items across characters. But I don’t think preserving these things is enough to warrant a complex set of rules and restrictions being implemented on the practice, as that will always leave room for someone to come up with creative loopholes to exploit and get ahead with. I’ve also heard “how can we ban it if there’s no easy way to enforce it?” as a reason for not taking a stronger official stance, but I don’t think this line of logic holds up under scrutiny, as it boils down to “it’s not cheating if you don’t get caught.”

I’m not saying that we need more preventative measures in place, or that people who have made use of sandboxing after being told it was okay need to be punished. (Though I personally am willing to do my best to forfeit what I’ve gained as one of the more egregiously-prolific users if it is deemed necessary) But I do believe this needs to be ruled one way or the other in terms of being permitted, rather than be left in a gray area of policy–and I’d like to think I’ve made a strong case for why it should be ruled as no longer allowed going forward.

I suspect this is likely to be a controversial subject; if you feel I’ve missed anything, or disagree with any of my points, let’s talk about it. After all, that’s one of the main reasons I put this here over just PMing it to a staff member. Just please, let’s be civil.

And I’m sorry for spawning yet another wall of text.

I personally don;t really see it as cheating you still have to jump between multiple clients and do all the work yourself in the end and while stuff like rollcall orbs/beat up can assist in reducing the effort to traverse dungeons you still have to grind up the side accounts to a point where its even worth dragging along. SUMMARY = using 2 clients still takes effort so eh :stuck_out_tongue:

It doesn’t matter of it “still takes effort.” After making an investment that involves an external program, (and that said external program makes easier than just leveling the character normally) you will wind up with a huge advantage over other players who don’t sandbox. Any other MMO would consider this cheating of the highest degree.

It might be a bit clunky to use at first, but it gets easier. I can go acquire video evidence of such if necessary. (with of course disposing of the loot afterwards)

Random question but if your so against it why have you used it for the past year or whatever :stuck_out_tongue:

I addressed this above in the OP, right near the very top; It was the strongest option available to me, and technically “legal,” or at the very least, staff were hesitant to commit to a ruling. Is that a good excuse? No, and that’s why exactly why I’m making a case against it now; after sitting down and having a long think about it, I realized I’d slid down the slippery slope and was abusing a half-baked ruling.

1 Like

I disagree that multi-logging is an issue, but am too tired right now to parse my argument into coherent words, so I’ll do that tomorrow. I just wanted to put out there that I do not support the removal of multi-logging before this thread explodes (it has a chance to, since feature removal is always controversial).

2 Likes

Something that was brought up on discord that I didn’t address in the OP is mission generation. Even the most “harmless” uses of sandboxing allow people to gain an extra set of missions per time change.

Sandboxing isn’t a feature. In fact, by design the game tries to prevent it.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind that since missions are really finicky anyways. '>.> But then again, that would be an exploit, so…

Kirk actually had a really good idea for that which doesn’t involve multilogging for boosted mission generation, but I forgot to turn it into a thread. Let me do that real quick.

1 Like

after thinking it over, although I originally was against the idea of removing the ability to multilog, I actually agree that it needs to be gone. but removing it adds another wrinkle aside from missions. transferring items between characters. the majority of what I use multilogging for it just to be able to share items between accounts. multilogging allows people to share storage between characters, which is good on two fronts: a) storage fills up really fast, especially early game, and b) it allows you to help along your alternative character so you don’t have to grind for the same items on both accounts (theme teams benefit a huge amount from this).

multilogging is more a band-aid solution to item transfer, since you can’t send items to people unless they are online either (which chafes me). a better solution that covers item transfer would be letters/parcels. I will start a thread on this cause It’s an entirely different mechanic, but in gist: send a message and/or item to a player that they can access when they next get online.

2 Likes

I’m going to use a very specific example here: Tanren chambers

There is a huge difference between running it solo and running it with an alt that you have to drag using BU/ally swap.

When you run it with an extra account, you always have to clear the room with the stairs in it to give your pokemon enough time to use its summoning moves without getting smacked in the face.
This consumes time and PP.
On the other hand: If you are solo you can just jiggle your way past pokemon and make it to the next floor easily.
If I had to estimate, I would say it takes at-least 2x the time to run the same route with an alt, than it would take alone.
But the upside is I get 2 end boxes (and if I drag other people along they can get end boxes as well)

Also : if staff were to ban all “boosting accounts”, how would they go about implementing this rule?(especially with the low number of staff members)
It is possible to be sneaky enough to avoid staff detection while using alts really easily. (I won’t go into the details of avoiding detection)
BUT, what would ultimately happen is, people who are willing to follow the rules won’t use it, and people who are willing to break rules will get away with doing it, thus giving an unfair advantage to the latter.
Any talk of banning multi accounting should only be considered if staff have the resources and means to prevent it completely.

4 Likes

It’s not completely brainless, yes. It takes some practice and good micro-management skills before you really start gaining any sort of advantage. But, IMO, an advantage is an advantage, and if it requires external software to subvert built-in multilogging prevention, then it either shouldn’t be allowed, or that protection shouldn’t exist. But let’s talk about the specific points you’ve brought up.

Yes and no. Sometimes you do need to clear some space, but that’s often as simple as popping 2-3 AoEs, which adds maybe 2-3 seconds per floor. While things like mobile scarf + movement speed can clear floors stupid quick, if you’re saying your floors take on average 3 or even 5 seconds I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. It’s definitely faster to drag an alt and double up on endboxes than to run a dungeon twice; trust me, I’ve done it for most of the dungeons in the game.

This is also ignoring dungeons where there’s either a lot of darkness for the beat up/ally switch user to hide behind, or dungeons that are low enough level you can just tank the hits. These go even faster.

I’ve already addressed this,

In an ideal world, it would be more enforceable, yes. However, things like abusing the guild system to double up on keys in TC are not allowed, despite having no apparent method of enforcement atm. There will always be people who are willing to cheat regardless of what the official ruling on something like this is, but that is going to happen no matter what; there will always be a loophole or glitch to exploit. I’d rather we not simply butcher beat up and ally switch, but if enforceability is the primary concern despite my case for why it shouldn’t be, then perhaps those moves need to change. It won’t stop mission farming, though.

There is an alternative, though. If multilogging is really something both the playerbase and staff team want, then allow the client to be opened up multiple times without the use of external software. Or even just make an official statement that such would be done if it were technically feasible; I understand that’s programming time that could be better spent elsewhere.

But right now the ruling (or rather lack thereof) on multilogging is sitting in this murky gray area of “don’t go too crazy” which means something different for everyone, and that’s ripe for abuse. If it’s ruled allowed, personally I’ll happily go back to milking it for all it’s worth; but I can’t keep doing that right now in good conscience, I’ve seen just how huge of an advantage it can give someone over players who aren’t doing it.

Sandboxie is only really abusable when you have more than 2 accounts. As someone else mentioned above it takes a lot of work to use another account to your advantage, *but I can see it being abusable at 3+ more accounts. Sandboxie is like using another computer to play PMU, so how are you supposed to tell whether or not someone is using another computer or using sandboxie? What about if two different people are actually playing with the same IP?

It’s also more practical to moderate someone who uses 3 accounts. AFAIK, the only people who used sandboxie to abusable levels are you(Leostel) and another user. The only area where I see having 2 accounts is abusable is when distributing tokens, but that’s too much of a moderation hassle to deal with. (Staff have to host the event AND check for sandboxie users if this goes though!)

Also, the only way to properly moderate someone using sandboxie is to ban the person using it. Using sandboxie shouldn’t be a bannable offense, at least in my biased opinion.

A majority of my sandboxing has been limited to two accounts. While it does scale up at 3+, you can still get double boxes and the like (along with extra inventory space) with less than double time spent. It’s plenty abusable at just 2. You can also do things like hide the second account’s pokemon in a wall for a few seconds each floor to feed them both exp, again being faster than doing it on each account individually.

How are we supposed to tell if someone is exploiting a glitch nobody else knows about? Doesn’t mean it’s allowed.

I’m not calling for same-IP login blocking. If the staff cannot monitor suspected multiloggers, then the problem is lacking tools in their arsenal, not that an anti-multilogging policy is unwarranted.
Note: if my clarifications in the OP were not clear, I’m not specifically against just using sandboxing software to multilog, doubling up on computers is similar and thus should be enforced similarly. It is a less available option to most players though.

Where is the line, then? By your own admission here, it is possible to reach “abusable” levels with multilogging. If you agree that after a certain point it is indeed a problem, then humor me quoting myself:

Quote from OP

This is already explicitly banned. And additionally, while it may seem like trying to catch everyone sandboxing might be a huge undertaking…that assumes nobody will respect the ruling and keep abusing the ability to multilog anyway. Instead, what we’d likely see is most people stopping, and then the staff team would only need to deal with the smaller number of players who are willing to flagrantly ignore the new rule and keep doing it.

People have been banned already for abusing mechanics like the guild system and monster houses to get faster exp. rates. Sandboxing enables things like letting you carry an additional inventory full of honey into a monster house–and the account being dragged doesn’t need to spend as much room if any on supplies. (You can also do things like double honey gather with minimal extra input) However, I am not calling for bans to be applied retroactively. (I am willing to be penalized myself in other methods for the sake of fairness though, if it is deemed necessary)

Correct me if im wrong, but i remember back when i first downloaded PMU, that the rules said using 3rd party software to exploit the game wasnt allowed. So its not really worth arguing the legality of, regardless of effectiveness, is it?

If you’re suggesting to enforce disallowing someone to use two different computers in their house to play PMU, then that’s just pushing too far. What video game disallows you to use two accounts at the same time? Using two accounts to play one game is gonna give you an advantage, but you don’t see MMOs or online games banning the use of two accounts at once. Which is why this suggestion is so weird to me.

That’s just a matter opinion. You’ve suggested that using 2 accounts does give a huge boost in advantage, but the majority opinion is that this is the not case(looking at the dracocrash’s post and the votes).

Yes, but those rules are outdated and aren’t enforced by the staff, which is why this thread was made in the first place.

Soooo, I strongly disagree, maybe you’re right with A LOT of the facts you’ve mentioned, but some people (including me) don’t use it on the way you’re saying, since my alt’s highest lvl pokemon is 38 and if I try to make it “win exp by hiding in a place”, it would get 1 exp because every of the mons I use on my main are 70+ (80+ tbh) and yes, I know you can place the pokemon closer to the main so it can get almost the full exp, but it almost always ends up in a waste of reviver seeds since wild mons keep on spawning even if you hide on walls or passages.

In my case, I use my own alt mostly because I’m lonely xD (as sad as it can sound) (Very sad times since I started playing PMU)
What do I mean?
I continuously keep on asking people to go with me to dungeons or something like that, and most of the time there is no answer… I know, how does bringing an Alt solves the problem? Because I got so used to not being able to count on anyone so that I gave my own characters different personalities (I’m a weirdo, let me be) and I don’t have the same time as other players have for grinding, I wish I had, so that’s the main reason on why I use it for hard dungeons, too.

Also, about Beat Up, yeah, you’re right, I even got a Malamar with Ally Switch, but, tbh, I rarely use them to carry my alt since I don’t want to waste ethers for replenishing the pp, so what I do is clear the whole floor and then manually redirect my alt to the stairs. I only use BU/AS when helping another player to clear hard dungeons or rushing with them. Not everyone has the same mentality as “oh, this is sweet, I can use two characters at the same time! I’m gonna abuse it and train my whole alts until lvl 100, bring them to master rank and…” etc etc

As I said before, I only have it because (from my point of view) I am my best friend. Let’s be honest, multi logging won’t prevent people from getting “twice” end or secret boxes, because if there’s somebody that is only willing to help you, that person would anyways give you those extra boxes. (Not gonna lie, finding someone like that might be hard, but I would give away my boxes if the other person asks for it and there’s nothing I would want really really really badly from it, even if it’s TC/Sky Garden end boxes or even DS)

For using more than 1 alt on Sandboxie, you need to pay something, so not everybody can afford those HT runs or something like that since some people, LIKE ME, just don’t have enough money… or they just don’t want to spend on something like it.

At the end of the day, people play as they want to, people aren’t forbidden to know that if you use SB you can use two characters at the same time, and they choose if they want to use it or not. As I said on my first point, some people, at least in my case, don’t have the same “free time” as other players to farm and grind for hours and hours some dungeons.

And, to be honest, I would always prefer to bring a c9er rather than a Frisker since Weather is more important for me, after all, Treasure Specs are just one item slot, kinda… What would people need? Exp All, Weather Rock, MC, and Trap scarf for training? Weather Rock, Trap Scarf (or whatever they use to remove movement hunger) Treasure specs and…? for any other activity? It’s a way of playing after all. But yes, I agree about not allowing it at events since that’s abuse, but from my point of view, I see SB has more pros than cons for people who doesn’t have enough time or just feel lonely and have a huge imagination (Don’t judge me lol).

2 Likes

I can agree with this, also glad than it was done! it’s pretty shameful that type of behavior. But let’s hope the isn’t other way to abuse this.

Yes, Did you called for me?

1 Like