Silent Disconnect

Summary of Bug:
What you were doing at the time: Idling on numerous maps that fulfill specific conditions
Where you were in the game/menus: Several different maps with low “activity” levels. (Explained below)
What happened: Upon moving after a period of prolonged idleness, I discover I’ve been disconnected.

OS/Version: Windows 10

Expected Result: I can go AFK for more than 5 minutes outside of busy maps such as Grassroot without having to relog

Actual Result: If I step away and certain conditions are not fulfilled I’m consistently disconnected in 5-10 minutes

Steps to reproduce:

1. Fulfill the following conditions:
    a. Find a map with no players or NPCs actively moving around. Players and NPCs that are not moving, attacking, chatting, or otherwise doing anything other than being completely idle are fine.
    b. Have no local/global messages, alerts, command feedback, or anything else print to the chatbox
    c. Have the poor luck to be one of the few players affected. Some people can fulfill all of the above and never disconnect for unknown reasons.
    Note: Login/logout messages likely prevent the disconnect. As such, staff receiving these alerts globally are much less likely to be affected, I would assume.
  2. Wait 5-10 minutes with the above conditions being met the entire time (active global chatter will disrupt this)
  3. You should be disconnected, and if 1c was met, able to reproduce this consistently.

Note: Previously (prior to the big sprite update) there was a minor bug that could be made use of to avoid this by those affected. If one were to hold down F then click the chatbox, the game would think you were holding down F and repeat the attack animation over and over. This would prevent the disconnect.
Additionally, I believe this problem may have started around the time the functionality of /ping was disabled, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Visual Proof (screenshots, videos, logs) - attached below: This would consist of a video of me doing absolutely nothing for 10 or so minutes on a remote map. If you feel this is really necessary, let me know.

2 Likes

really annoying bug. I just wanna afk in my house 'kay? :rofl: