So, regarding shiny hunting methods... What are they?

Hi there, I’m new plz don’t bash me for asking (;ŏ﹏ŏ)
I enjoy (yeah not all the time but- you get it probably) shiny hunting in Pokémon games and since we got shiny mons here I had to ask if anyone could tell me how this goes here? Like if there is a specific method to go about it.
As far as I’m concerned I know about the shiny noise, and the asterisk next to the name but I i couldn’t locate any guide’s on how to prepare or start shiny hunting in the games (maybe I’m just blind or something). So yeah of anyone feels like explaining it I’d be grateful (๑♡⌓♡๑)

1 Like

Welcome to PMU. Shiny hunting here mostly consists of running a dungeon over and over as fast as possible.

Let me talk about recruit rate first though. Shiny Pokemon aren’t guaranteed to be recruited, so you’ll want to maximize your recruiting possibility asap, unless you’ve got a Pokemon Gift. This Is an Item that 100% recruits anything you use It on ( as long as It’s actually recruitable of course ). But aside from that, your active Pokemon’s level and rank add a bonus to recruitment. There are also held Items that boost It too. More about the Items and how level and rank affect recruit rate can be found here.

That wiki page lists all Pokemon able to be recruited specifically, meaning no eggs. You can reference that to determine where you want to shiny hunt a Pokemon If It’s In more than one place, or see If It can be shiny hunted at all ( provided It’s a Gen 1-5 Pokemon or starter ). Common Pokemon In easy dungeons have low shiny rates, while rare Pokemon In harder dungeons tend to have higher rates. It’s Important to know that It doesn’t matter how high the rate Is though, you will have a hard time finding the shiny you want regardless because RNG sees all and the desire sensor. /sarcasm

When a shiny Is only on a few floors of a dungeon you should consider getting lots of honey unless you want to suffer. Honey spawns Pokemon on demand. It’s very useful for shiny hunting. And no, Sweet Scent doesn’t do the same thing <:) It spawns Zorua eventually when you keep using It In a Monster House, so unless you want shiny Zorua, that’s neither here nor there. Most traps In this game also have an Item variant obtainable, therefore you can alternatively use Summon Traps for the same purpose as honey, but It’s less reliable as an enemy NPC needs to step on It for It to work.

There are many rest stops In PMU. When you use the command /giveup, It warps you to the crossroads, but these are places you can heal and stay so you get warped there Instead. Rest stops are your significant other In shiny hunting. You’ll likely want to Invest In one closest to where you want to shiny hunt to get there faster.

As for running dungeons fast, you can be meta trash and use a Pokemon that gets 4x speed with a healing move and a Mobile Scarf held ( Mobile Scarves let you travel through any terrain, but as per PMD mechanics, It drains your belly, hence why a healing move Is recommended unless you like dying ). I hate to admit It but that’s generally the best way to go about hunting. However, any Pokemon that gets 4x speed without needing to use a move like Agility works too, and If you don’t mind slow paced shiny hunting, just 2x speed Is also fine. Pokemon tend to be able to reach 4x movement speed through family Items and Crystals.

If you have more questions or I suck and made anything sound confusing, please let me know. I tried my best to explain this.

2 Likes

Oh man thank you for the quick and elaborate answer! It’s really useful and you did a really good job at explaining it (・∀・)
I’ll definitely start preparing then. It’ll probably take time but y’know that’s just how shiny hunting is sometimes. And again thank you so so much :two_hearts:

1 Like