Suggestion to make the Stadium event go by a little smoother

Stadium is one of my favorite events and one that I’ll usually try to attend because it’s just fun to watch & participate. However, I do think it can be a little bit messy from trying to get things started so here is my suggestion. My idea is to separate the arena into two rooms a “drafting” room & then the arena as we know it now.

- Goal of the drafting room
The goal of the drafting room would be to streamline the selection process for players who are selected to be the trainer. My idea here is to basically make things much more organized than what it is now. You know, space things out so players aren’t stepping over each other. Add some more space so players names can be seen (sort of, it’d be really hard to fix the name issue but that’s fine since those who are selected to be trainers can just click on those they are interested in)

Here I have a small hastily made mock up of what it could look up

I think if it’s organized by primary type Trainers will have an easier time picking what they want. So i.e there is a stadium event and I’m going to play as a Charizard, I would wait in the Fire-type section. As far as dual-type Pokemon goes, they would go to their Primary type’s section. I included a few different tilesets on how to organize it, though it might get a bit difficult since every type might not have a good “Symbol” to represent them.

It doesn’t have to organized by type either. It can be a simple “cafe” looking waiting room, I just think that it’d give more space to players to spread out. Simply have a section that staff move the players who were selected to be trainers to. Such as a desk or podium. Here in this room we can have signs that have rules or answers to commonly asked questions. That way staff doesn’t need to repeat themselves.

The biggest issue I see with this is having to move back & fourth after every round. Though I think the time spent doing this will be less than the time spent being confused & waiting for people to make their decisions.

Just a small idea I had. I do have some more that could add onto this but I don’t think this needs to be super complicated.

tl;dr add a separate waiting room for the arena so when trainers are drafting their picks people can see who is who.

Stadium as a whole, and most events, and the game Itself, need an overhaul. The main Issue with stadium and events Is how things are done so manually, and we just have to hope people don’t be didiots, which they always are given the sheer amount of times someone was like “oops I need to go to assembly/storage”, at least for stadium In particular ( Ignoring general problems such as people spamming moves and commands ). For example, an easy fix for that would be to auto store Items on warp entry like arenas do, Instead of saying please store your Items so many times and people still don’t listen. It’s not always fault of those people either, sometimes It’s just forgetfulness and I’d understand, hence why the warp Idea would work so well.

There’s also no definitive rules anywhere. You know how the level set was 100? I remember It being 50, then 60 for whatever reason, and I guess It’s been changed again. Why? You see people constantly asking the same questions e.g. “can you use healing moves”, “how do multi-hit moves work”, and players during today’s stadium event didn’t know Cinccino was banned, heck even I didn’t, or don’t remember. Point Is for events there needs to be a sign or popup window or something that has the rules for that event, preventing confusion and ones being made up on the spot, just to change because we forgot what It was next time. People also need to pay attention for once. The amount of times I saw “hOw dO u Pm SoMe1” was Irritating. Not only did many people repeat how many times, It says It when you do /commands. I see mostly the same old players every day, every event, so I don’t get why something simple like that was so difficult. If PMU wasn’t spaghetti, there’d Ideally be a way for the trainers to see the moves without having to go through the trouble of making sure people know how to PM and then tell them the moves. During the event I realized If you’re muted, you can’t even say your moves either.

As for your actual suggestion, Instead of making a new map to avoid the Issue of making sure everyone goes from room to room, the current stadium room could just be expanded and modified. It being organized by x thing would probably be more messy as like I said, depending on people In this playerbase to not screw anything up Is asking for a lot sometimes. The assembly and storages In the stadium room also need to be more visible, they’re just…In the corners not apparent Immediately If you haven’t seen the stadium before, especially when It’s packed during the event Itself.

3 Likes

All fair points, I don’t disagree with you on anything. The weekly event thing needs an overhaul as a whole (including times so Euro players don’t get screwed) but I guess it comes down to the staff’s decision whether or not they have the time & resources for a total overhaul or minor tweaks.

Like you said though, it definitely comes down primarily to whether or not players will be smart enough to listen & actual understand the rules.

the storage and assembly definitely do need to be moved though, I’ve seen plenty of people say “Brb” let me store my items or grab X Pokemon" then run off outside

4 Likes

Excuse you, I wasn’t even at this latest event. :(

1 Like

heres my personal suggestion to fix some of the issues:

basically, i think it would be good to add a drafting room like stormy suggested, but mines a bit different ( though the type squares could be implemented to it as well)
i think players who are going to be trainers/pokemon should be warped into the two boxes shown above which have kangaskhan storage and assembly IN them, THEN a check for 1 pokemon and no items. this would prevent staff from having to constantly warp players in and out

additionally, i think a ruleboard like croagunks with a sound notification to tell you to check the rules would be helpful. i agree the rules are unclear and even i forget. saying it in pmu just isnt enough because the chat goes so fast. with an ingame sign (ideally, the rules being also posted in discord announcements) people could check whenever they wanted. of course people will still ignore this/not see it, but at that point its their fault for not paying attention, not just not seeing it being said in the chat. also, people can just redirect them to the sign.

there are still some problems with this system, namely:

• it might be cumbersome to move between one room and the other each round i guess
  • trainers may go into stadium and walk onto the warp that puts them in the pokemon team roster so staff might have to warp them out
  • it might be hard to keep track if players have 6 pokemon or not if players go through the doorway (though this could be checked by just going into the arena where theyd warp to, or adding a staff block until all 6 pokemon have been chosen?)
  • chat may flood out the notifcation to read the rules, and also people might just ignore it anyway
  • still doesnt fix the inherent issue with pming people or seeing players moves lol
  • players might be confused as to where stadium is if they show up late or something

i think this would still be a better system than what we have now tho. it would give more space to view prospective choices for pokemon teams, lessen the hassle or items/pokemon checking and having to warp, allow people who dont want to be chosen to go somewhere while not having to set their status to “DONT PICK” or choose an unviable mon, give an opportunity to establish and communicate rules, (something pmu events always seem to fail a bit at) and better streamline the event

i dont necessarily agree with expanding the stadium map bcos then if a player is out of the trainers visible range they wont be able to be picked to participate. i think everything being visible on one screen is best.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right, I thought of the same thing but didn’t Include It In my post. I just think It’s better for the sole fact that staff don’t have to worry about anyone being left behind between rooms ( e.g. giving participation Tokens In the draft room, what If In the second round someone who went to the stadium to watch went afk while they were given out). Several people got left behind during the last pictionary event for example. Although I know Kirk has been nice enough to warp people to rooms when they’re afk; he’s warped me to the IKEA entrance before but not sure about other staff. Dodgeball Is actually an event that has multiple rooms so I guess It’s not that big of a deal, I just tend to try to think of ways to cover all Issues.

Having an assembly and storage accessible to people picked Is a good change ( or just the former If they do the warp thing wink wink nudge nudge ) but the problem with the assembly Is that, from what I can gather In your mock up, there’s none outside of the zone where the chosen players are. Trainers choose what players they want based off their Pokemon. Because of that, there’s another Issue where someone may change what they’re using while they’ve been picked.

• chat may flood out the notifcation to read the rules, and also people might just ignore it anyway

This Is something else I meant to mention In my post—the chat flooding anyway. It’s why It’d be really nice If there was a variation of the sign tile that pops up a window with text like when you do /commands. There could also be an NPC that explains the rules like CTF does. Other than what I said I like your draft room concept a lot.

2 Likes

i kind of made the pic with the assumption players could freely go into the stadium like they normally could rather than staff having to unblock it like other events in the event hub. partially because then players could opt out of the selection process if they just wanna watch or afk in the arena map

fair point cuz i forgot to include that in my pic lol

also a good point tho idk what someone would gain from this besides trolling. i guess itd just be a thing where u have to just agree to not be a jerk about it. tho with the current system we have to worry about people not paying attention so its kinda imperfect either way

this would probably work better since npcs are easier to see than signs lol

2 Likes

I know, It was just an example though that It does/can happen.

also a good point tho idk what someone would gain from this besides trolling. i guess itd just be a thing where u have to just agree to not be a jerk about it. tho with the current system we have to worry about people not paying attention so its kinda imperfect either way

There Is no benefit, from experience people just like to be annoying, but yeah.

1 Like