The Give Up prompt

After seeing many players fall prey to the “accidental give up” I’m wondering If we’d like to actually combat this somehow and prevent more controversy around It

It makes me sad how players will ask for compensation for It since whether that’s given seems to be random but I think nowadays It’s usually not. I have a few times In the past seen Items being given back for this specific scenario

There’s also the “I pressed revive but It made me give up anyway” “bug” which has never been confirmed If that’s a thing or If It’s just players navigating the menu too quickly or whatnot

Any Instances of the report will go nowhere:

I’m not some kind of superhuman who can remember or find every single Instance this happened and what was said, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen direct confirmation either scenarios are some kind of glitch

Regardless I’m sure it’s frustrating. How about we make It so It’s harder or Impossible to accidentally give up?

There are two options to do so:

Make It default to “No”

give up
Here It clearly defaults to “Yes”. This Is what we call bad UX. If there wasn’t any confirmation at all, would you add one or would you say “just try harder to not mess up stupid Idiot!”

I’m sure It’s possible to change this. Even If you can’t control which option a menu starts on, the options themselves can have their positions swapped

Just remove the Give Up option almost entirely

I can’t think of any reason you’d want to use It If you still have other team members, revives, or a rope. If you put a button that serves no actual benefit to the players, surely It will cause problems

I could be wrong ( seriously correct me If I’m saying the wrong thing ) but I don’t believe a “Give Up” option was ever present In the games. Here’s an example:

Team member dies, you can either revive or don’t

I should mention that In the 2D games, revives are used automatically. This Is partially because there was only ever one kind of revival Item, but also I’m sure choosing whether you want the random guy you recruited to eat all your revs was a good Idea

Why don’t we just keep the “Revive” and “Switch” options. And have “Give Up” only be there when on your leader with no revives or rope. If you really want to give up, that’s always been an option In In the menus, but not the revival prompt, and as such what we have /gup for

I think this Is the only scenario the Give Up option should be present. Auto giving up when there Is no alternative would be bad however, as that there are still Items that can revive other people

I think these are realistic solutions that aren’t too difficult to make either. If I’m some kind of moron and this Is a terrible Idea and suggestion and I should reconsider my entire life feel free to tell me why. Thanks

Idk Insert some kind of conclusion here

I have absolutely accidentally hit give up, because the ‘yes’ option is first when im going too fast or having connection issues/lag. I think either of the options you presented would be a good work around, it really should’ve never defaulted as ‘yes’ to begin with

2 Likes

i actually did some testing on the menu,

and Another problem i noticed in my time which is probably related to whole mess is the fact the menu takes in inputs before it’s even on screen, and takes in imputs that where already been inputted before the menu showed up! if you where holding up while you died the menu will be taking that up arrow key input and going from the top option, to the bottom option, which is give up!

which is not how menus should work! they should only take imputs after they are opened and have down time of a 1s before they can take imputs, now this is most likely just a byproduct of the messy pmu code and it may not be fixable,

but as it currently stands this is just, not ok in my opnion.
something should be done to that menu to avoid having trouble with it for doing something as simple as playing the game before you died.
instead of pretty much requiring players to just. not do anything at all before dying to avoid confusing the death prompt… :eeveesad:

2 Likes

I’ve stated in the past that I believe the give up option should only show up if the user doesn’t have an escape rope, or if the player uses the /gup command. I’m not sure how difficult replacing the give up option with escape would be, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be so hard that the improvement wouldn’t overshadow the difficulty of implementation.

3 Likes

The issue with that is that the game is programmed so you cannot use command when you are dead, tho i do not know the exact reason. I don’t think it’s possible to re-enable the command when you are dead b/c I am positive that there’s a valid reason behind not being able to use command when you’re dead.

As for the entire accidentally give up thing, I personally think what Deleca said about defaulting into using the revival menu first is the best to do, and even if you have no revs there should be a 2nd menu for you to switch, escape or gup.

2 Likes

I agree heavily with this - there have been way too many accidental give ups to leave things the same here and dungeon give ups as they stand lean toward the “too punishing” side of game balance.

I think the option for give up to only show up as a prompt when you’ve lost all other options is the best route personally - I can put on one hand the amount of times I’ve ever wanted to give up without that being the case and genuinely in those situations I can just switch to my leader and /gup manually if I need to or worst case just die on my leader. Maybe there could be some way to program the menu for it to only display it as an option if nothing else can be displayed? My one concern there would be the sticky rev situation but hopefully something could still be figured out

4 Likes

Tbh I feel that making the default option “No” would be the better approach, as that’s similar to how PMD handles leaving dungeons after completing jobs to prevent the player from smashing A and accidentally leave.
Also cause it’s probably the easiest one to code.

4 Likes

Bumping this because, at the time the OP was made, I already accidentally gave up, and had to meander around to recover my lost items. Guess what? It happened AGAIN. FUN.

If for whatever reason the give up prompt can’t be removed or changed in any roundabout way, because haha funny 3,000 year old code, why can’t staff compensate any and all lost valuable items?
One might say people could exploit this system by constantly giving up and pester the staff, to which you’d be right, except… Come on guys, we’re humans, not robots. Surely at one point your brain’s pattern recognition will activate and tell you something’s wrong, right?

In whatever case, here’s hoping for a solution to this issue to be announced ASAP. I actively play PMU despite all its glaring issues because the core of the game’s just that immensely fun, but good lord is this so damn annoying to deal with. Twice.

4 Likes