The State of Sparkle Tokens, HC Shinies, and Everything Else

It’s been many, many years since sparkle tokens have been available for players openly. The most recent times have been in auctions, which are far and few between and have seemingly been indefinitely discontinued. One can’t help but wonder if sparkle tokens are on the path to being discontinued as well, but this is another question with no answer.

As with the rest of the game, there has been little transparency from staff regarding the state of sparkle tokens. Moreover, today, one of the few remaining sparkle tokens in the game has been sold to a player from a staff member. I find this highly unethical, as the staff member in question is a firm advocate against sparkle tokens and has even suggested for them to be removed from the game. To profit off of one, while advocating for their scarcity/obsolescence, does not sit right with me. But with my personal grievances out of the way, that’s not the main point of this thread.

What is really bothering me about PMU, as someone who loves PMU and has a long history with it, is that there’s no communication. I’ve seen talk of Mt. Moon and Mobile Scarf nerfs flying about, I’ve heard rumours in my guild of the 2023 Easter HC being secretly bugged in terms of certain shinies (seriously? 0 shiny Wooloos this whole HC?) that are unaddressed by staff to this day, and I’ve heard a lot of promises for positive change and for more permanent content to be released. The problem is, nobody ever explains what’s going on in any of these situations. There are no updates, and even if there are staff willing to speak about these things, they are not allowed to communicate with players in a way that can be productive for the community. This lack of communication makes things worse, admittedly which can be seen with the talk of Mt. Moon nerfs. I know at least four players who have committed to hardcore farming Mt. Moon in anticipation of nerfs for the dungeon and Mobile Scarf, and this is not healthy for the amount of Poke circulating in the game, nor is it healthy for people to panic like this in the first place because of uncertainty regarding how the game will be played in the future.

The lack of permanent releases in this game is also extremely troubling. Having witnessed (and been a part of) HC grinding was an eye-opening experience. Many players including myself will spend more time than is healthy to try and get our desired shinies during HC, because there is not even a hint as to when those Pokemon will ever become available again, whether it be in future HCs or regular dungeons. I don’t know if people here remember how pressed I was for shiny Eiscue, but I guarantee that if I had known it would be released in Snowveil Lair less than half a year later, I would’ve had a much healthier relationship with this past Winter HC, and actually would’ve had time to enjoy the game for everything else it had to offer. And this isn’t an isolated incident; I’m sure everyone can remember in the past two or three HCs, at the very least, the existence of unhealthy grinders wasting their hours away in the game because of the fear of uncertainty. Situations like this create an anxious, temperamental playerbase, especially when nothing is said about anything in regards to how these predicaments should be addressed or avoided in the future.

I think for one, PMU should definitely have a permanent staff member or volunteer(s) that are in charge of communicating and making announcements to the playerbase. Many indie games out there also feature roadmaps, or lists of features they are actively attempting to work on in the game. Having something like this be public would really create a better environment between staff and players, so staff can receive player sympathy and feedback, avoiding a feeling of being rushed/disrespected, and so players can know what they are getting themselves into when they commit time to this game. It would be great to know things like whether or not auctions and sparkle tokens are ever going to make a comeback (if they’re not, killing the hope would be really nice), or plans for new dungeons or Pokemon to become non HC exclusive. We have such a massive backlog of Pokemon that need to be released outside of HC that I feel like some compensation should even be underway, but I digress.

The heart of this post is that PMU definitely needs some change in regards to how things are being handled on the staff team. The players are just as integral to PMU as staff are, and without any idea what’s going on internally, especially from key staff members such as Devs and Admins, it feels like us players are not being given a chance to fairly react to and assess the way the game is now or how it will be in the future. Having such uncertainty clouding over everything in PMU is not a pleasant experience, and I really hope that staff will soon make some moves to address this fact, and hopefully, steer the game towards positive change for everyone.

Definitely agree with the points you’ve made here, theres been a serious lack of communication and coordination in the past few years. I never thought that sparkle tokens should have been retired in the first place. It’s such a good money sink, can be a great reward for special events, and can even be almost necessary with how low some pokemon’s spawn rates are. We havent had perma content in how long? I know that staff have lives and operate this game out of their spare time, and while thats okay i think that if we’re having content drought and lack of communication spanning /years/ it might be time to hire on some fresh members, or as you stated, a content advisor. There shouldn’t be multiple years worth of drought, and I know more than one person expressed that their staff applications have not been read in the span of several years as well. Overall! I hope for change, I love this game very much and I do not want to come across as antagonistic to staff or anyone else, I understand fully that sometimes you’re just too busy with real life. But I think if everyone on the staff team has been too busy, it might be time to let other people on board who can continue to move content forward in their absence.

4 Likes

Yeah you are completely right. This game has 0 communication and I’ve requested it for many years. All that’s given back is empty promises and the same dialogue. “We’re busy”, “staff have lives” and “it takes time”. It gets really tiring to hear this when we’re always left in the dark. I’ve been writing these messages for the past 3 years or so. :slight_smile:

As for the rumours I have heard some of these too. And I noticed things myself. Whenever I asked my friends if they hatched any gen 8 shinies they all answered they didn’t? Did literally no one hatch a gen 8 shiny besides starters? (seriously how is this being overlooked lol…) And if it’s known in the staff team then why is this not shared. Both outcomes are really bad!

100% agree I would like a person in charge of communication so we know what we’re up to in the next months. They would be able to answer all forum messages and make announcements on delays and other news.

It’s really sad PMU has become a game of drought and no comms. We literally get nothing but HC’s every year.

4 Likes

I agree. I wish the change logs, no matter how minor it is, are publicly available for the communities to see–like the old days of coder change-logs. Transparency about roadmaps and upcoming changes provides concrete grounds for players to know what to expect and can even reduce some rumors from going out of control in the first place. On the other hand, being taciturn about potential changes can make a lot of people spiral and panic to do the things they fear might be removed, which is just not how I think the game should be played.

In terms of the staffing situation, could there be an update on how things are going on the backend? For example, if there aren’t enough people to plan/develop certain aspects of the game, how about consider recruiting a few more people to lessen the workload overall? Do you need more moderators? If so, what would be the skill needed for one to apply? These questions should be clear and simple to answer but instead, we as a community are left in the dark as to be helplessly guessing what’s going wrong with PMU as the state of the game slowly deteriorates.

Simply put, taking a page out from the U.S. Supreme Court’s ‘shadow docket’ playbook isn’t healthy for the community. It’s clear that improvements in staff communication is much needed and the start of such improvements could be to show a morceau of honest transparency at the very least.

3 Likes

i fully agree with everything that has been said here, something needs to change, if feels like there’s a brick wall between staff and the community, hearing staff awnser question oftenly like a automated response robot with the same things over and over again is not very hope inspiring.
and despite the possibly high amount of staff applications i belive they have said to recive, in the last year the there was only a singular new addition to the team that i don’t belive has intecracted with the community since? that dosen’t seem quite right :eeveesad:
any way to adress this issue of the staff team feeling distant and not connected with the community would be appreciate, as it currently feels like staff is just ignoring everyone and not taking feedback

maybe it’s a bit of a harsh call out, but i belive sometimes a firm hand is neccesary to give people a reality check and make them realize a boat with broken sails isn’t just slow, it’s also being dragged by the waves in a direction you may not want.

that’s a wild thing to hear when staff has directly said the only nerf they where currently confortable with possibly making was just making so healing moves can’t work in the walls, which is barely a nerf, this seems more like a telephone game issue where people are blowing things out of proportion, but i suppose the critizism your trying to make here is the fact they didn’t directly come out and snuffed out this over reaction, which i can agree with.

2 Likes

I’ve brought this thread to the rest of the team’s attention, and we’ll hopefully be able to elaborate more in the near future. As a result I’m going to hold off on addressing specifics regarding our roadmap right this instant, but I assure you we are listening.

Regarding the recent sparkle token sale

That said, I will address this, as it is directed more to me than the team as a whole:

First and foremost, for those unaware, I am the staff member who sold a sparkle token to a player. The token was one of 4 I have owned over the course of playing this game, all of which proceeded my joining the staff team by several years. 3 came from the Anniversary HC which released them, and the fourth from an auction. One token was given away, another used on my Aegislash, and the third was recently sold to a player for 25m. I still possess one more.

I previously (again, prior to joining the staff team by several years) advocated for heavily adjusting sparkle token availability in this thread here: Discontinue the distribution of or heavily reduce the planned availability of new Sparkle Tokens

Over time, my feelings on the sparkle tokens have softened. I think I over-reacted initially–their availability never even came close to the level I was worried about to begin with. And though I still think their release could have been handled better (the prices in that HC were overhauled several times after launch) I do not have a particularly strong opinion for or against the tokens anymore.

Regarding my recent sale of a token, I understand your ethics concerns. When selling the token, I deliberately undersold it so as to minimize any ingame advantage I might see from both my previous arguments against expanding their distribution, as well as my new position as a moderator potentially giving me greater sway over future token supply.

Though I stand by my decision to make the sale, I do hope my explanation eases your concerns.

I have been a long-time advocate for expanding communication between our community and the staff team. Now that I am a member of said staff team, that goal has not changed. However, my perspective has certainly evolved and expanded now that I have experienced things from the staff team’s end; I can say that it’s not as simple as us just talking more.

You’ve already brought up a few good examples of where I believe unfocused communication has caused more problems than it’s solved. We’ve not yet made any decisions regarding things like rebalancing Mt. Moon, or nerfing the mobile scarf, but hearing only scattered bits and pieces of our very much tentative thoughts on the matter has generated a lot of gossip and rumors that aren’t necessarily indicative of our plans–we don’t currently have any such decisions finalized.

At the end of the day, we are a bunch of volunteers doing what we can to keep this decades old patchwork ship of a passion project functional. We hear (and even share in) the frustration that I know many of you feel about our lack of both permanent content, and our communication in general. I do agree we could benefit from a dedicated community manager or similar, so I’ll bring that up with the team.

Over the past year and a half or so, a lot of our team members have encountered difficulties in their personal lives. We’re slowly working ourselves back up to speed now, and have also brought on a new designer in Espyria, so hopefully the wait won’t be too much longer. I’d still like to see us bring on additional team members, but we currently have a high ratio of new to more experienced staff members, so this isn’t something we can rush.

4 Likes