Why Shinies Disappear (Maybe)

I’m MatPat and I might have grasped the reason why shinies sometimes despawn once you relog.

I’m sure you’ve encountered a situation where you crashed or relogged during a boss or In an Unown chamber, and the boss or Unowns disappeared. People also gave a tip In the past two Easter HCs, to relog during the Kecleon floors so you didn’t have to go through them and get bodied. Something that these things have In common Is that the Pokemon hold Items. When I did Dynamo Sands yesterday, I froze during the boss and when I came back, only Garchomp had disappeared—cus It’s the only boss there that drops something and therefore holds an Item. You can try this for yourself; watch something pick up an Item on a floor using the minimap, then relog and look back where It was, and It’ll be gone.

Sooo, shinies? Well, If you found a shiny and relogged at any point and It was gone, I think It’s because It spawned holding a box. What about moving vs. not moving? If you have already moved, It’s possible that shiny picked up something. Before people started recommending not to move before relogging when you found a shiny, I relogged after moving a few times, and most of the time the shiny was gone. I’ve only lost one shiny from relogging without moving, and only got one report of that happening to someone else. The stars seem to align, don’t they?

But hey, that’s just a theory…A GAME THEORY!! Thanks for watching. I believe I’m correct though, or almost there. I’ve heard people say “It’s because they’re scripted spawns”, but pretty much any Pokemon In the game that spawns would be scripted wouldn’t It? This could do with some more testing regarding other bosses, If something disappears still once the Item Is taken ( I assume no ), and If a shiny still disappears once It’s clear It doesn’t have an Item, but I’m not even In the middle of an SF run I’m doing, and also lazy. I will edit this later once I do more testing. Let me know your thoughts. Or don’t. I just thought this was worth sharing.

6 Likes

Deleca is literally the biggest brain in the galaxy
definitely worst testing though this would be HUGE for sharing shinies with friendo’s

2 Likes

As this far, Deleca has a huge point of it. Chimecho NPC from Summer HC disappears 100% if you log out or disconnect, and suddenly it’s holding item does to other pokemon who isn’t holding an item. Same happened with Po’Mu NPC in Anniversary Event, The cakes goes to other pokemon that aren’t holding items. Most of the times I log out or got disconnected with a shiny on sight, it never lefts, because is not moving or close to items, it happened several times that situation.

Where I’m going with this, shinies are the same way programmed as Chimecho and Po’Mu NPCs, and they disappear HOLDING an item when you disconnect. So, that could be a pretty interesting stuff to test.

But it’ll leaves one thing unanswered, How we can justify a shiny disappear on disconnection from a FF run case? As far as I remember, the room where shiny azurill was found, there is no items.

2 Likes

Any Pokemon that spawns Is “programmed” or “scripted” the same way. Whether It’s Chimecho, a boss, Po’Mu, they’re just created through the NPC editor. In the NPC editor you can set a held Item there. More or less the only programming done for Po’Mu was a backend script to make It so he appeared In all dungeons, and bosses have buffs added to them which I think Is a script thing too. Bosses can either A) already be on the map when you enter or B) from what I can tell, be spawned due to a story/cutscene, so either way they spawn like a normal Pokemon would. They just tend to have a drop like Mushrooms, which Is why they can or will disappear when you relog.

The thing Is I don’t know when this happened or who this happened to. And FF requires 2 people so unless both people disconnected I don’t see why one person disconnecting would cause anything.

2 Likes

Even so i don’t think one case in FF ( a weird dungeon to begin with) should disprove this definitely worth a look for staffers worst case scenario its wrong :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Well, now than I think about it, there was a server restart by lag, but also, I was ignoring than shiny pokemon can hold a box, maybe that could be the case for that shiny case. So, I could say I’ll go with Deleca’s theory 100%.

3 Likes