Wide Slash, Vacuum Cut, and Spin Slash

There are a pair of PMD-exclusive moves with universal distribution via TM, (at least to any pokemon capable of learning TMs) and I think they would help patch up some movepools not really suited for dungeon crawling if they were implemented in PMU. As the title of this thread mentions, they are Wide Slash and Vacuum Cut, but I’d also like to suggest implementing the dummied-out move Spin Slash as well.

As I allude to above, some pokemon simply don’t have the sorts of moves they need to really effectively dungeon crawl in PMU, namely because of their main attacking options having rather poor range. So I propose implementing the 3 above moves as slightly weaker alternatives to common 2-tile sprays and 2/8 tile AoEs, but with universal distribution and perhaps the added perk of always using the higher of the attacker’s physical or special attack.

Suggested (pre-autonerf) stats:

Wide Slash

Type: Typeless
Category: Physical, contact (Damage is calculated using whichever of the attackers Atk or SpA is higher)
Range: 2-tile spray
Power: 65
Accuracy: 95
PP: 25

Vacuum Cut

Category: Special (Damage is calculated using whichever of the attackers Atk or SpA is higher)
Range: 8-tile AoE
PP: 15

Spin Slash

Category: Physical, contact (Damage is calculated using whichever of the attackers Atk or SpA is higher)
Range: 2-tile AoE
PP: 18

The numbers I suggested are all intentionally a little underpowered, (And just over the Technician threshold on purpose) but one has to remember that nothing will resist these moves. The idea is to provide a “floor” of sorts that prevents any pokemon’s movepool from dipping into completely unviable.

That’s an interesting idea though tbf I never really was a fan of these moves and never even used them.

1 Like

Wow, I had no clue those even existed in the PMD Games. I’d love to see them implemented into PMU through TMs. They really would be good options for Pokemon with small movepools. I’d probably run wide slash on my Raichu.

How would it work for Pokemon that have the same attack and special attack stats?

Anyway I’d really like to see this be implemented into the game.

1 Like

Presumably it wouldn’t matter unless stuff like burn isn’t calculated when picking which to use, as I suggested Wide/Spin Slash deal physical damage and Vacuum Cut deal special damage. Think Necrozma’s Photon geyser, which despite using the higher of the two always deals special damage IIRC

2 Likes